Recent Topics

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 12 13 14 (15)

Re: The Case For Systemic Effectiveness
Permanent Village Fixture
From Cupertino, CA
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Harada Sensei, thank you for the inspiration to do some work on this ! It is going to take a few years... .

The zen analogy was very very helpful for me...

Quote:

bujincan wrote:
Quote:

Exactly my point. How do you know what is the logical thing to do in the kata? Repeating 1000 times means doing the same version 1000 times, that Im sure of. The big problem seems to be, finding someone who can (and will) teach you the correct/logical version of the kata.

I think the only versions you can be sure are correct are the ones that come straight from Soke or from someone who has menkyo kaiden in the school you're studying. And even then, are they teaching you the "right" one? Are they teaching you at all or just showing something to you?

I think a lot of things in this art are the way they are specifically so they can't be "stolen" just by watching.

on the other hand, you can learn a lot by watching with a properly trained "eyes to see". Especially if you already spent a few years with a competent teacher.

Maybe there is an analogy to the fact that the period of spoon-feeding ends very early in human life.

mn

Posted on: 2009/5/13 6:18
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Active Kutakian
From Belgium
Group:
If it is any help, one shihan that I've trained with for years (given when possible time-wise) out a good thought this way- "Train for your surroundings."

What's effective in one place (Amsterdam), because of an atmosphere or set of elements (bikesm traffic, bricks), may be completely out of place in another (Paris, Tokyo, SFC). If your surroundings can change, then you adapt.

Posted on: 2009/5/13 15:30
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
I think there is a major difference between "practicing a lot of times correctly", which I do agree with and mimicing over and over again. These are not the same!

Posted on: 2009/5/14 5:36

« 1 ... 12 13 14 (15)

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor