Register now!
Socialize

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

The Rope and the Sword
Frequent Visitor
Group:
村民 :: Villager
I just went through a seminar with Shawn Gray that focused upon "Sainou Kon Ki" (I hope I spelt that correctly). And our first day was spent doing a ton of rope work and a sizable portion of the next.

I'm curious as to how others (especially those not within the ShidoshiCard section of the forum) are finding the experience of working with The Rope specifically. or even how training with the rope might have affected your sword work/taijutsu itself.

Any thoughts/reactions?

Posted on: 2009/5/5 11:06
A round full-orb'd eidolon. ~ "Eidolons" By Walt Whitman
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: The Rope and the Sword
Villager
From San Salvador, El Salvador
Group:
I have tried to use the rope but it's quite hard. I know by common lore that you just cannot control the rope, rather to work freely and let it do the work. It's quite interesting because this month I'll be working some Takagi and the suwari gata I think it will work quite well. I'll let you know.

Posted on: 2009/5/5 13:13

Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
What you might try with the longer rope, ie 12 to 20 feet, is to have your partner hold the end and throw the loop to catch his/her hand, then throw a reverse loop to again catch the hand. This forms a clove hitch which really has that hand fastened even if the rope is now turned loose. Then just work with movement to "tie" them up.

Posted on: 2009/5/5 21:50

Villager
Group:
Scott,

I will say that for years the idea of correctly implementing the use of a rope or flexible weapon of this sort was troublesome, to say the least.

I always thought it was cool, but I always felt like when I tried to use it in training, it was cumbersome.

A little while back I had a bit of an "ah...haaa" moment. I saw that during training the one using the rope was just doing taijutsu, at the time...just moving and striking with the uke, as if he did not have a rope in his hands. He let the rope slide sometimes, other times he would hold it firmly as he continued to respond to the uke. The next thing you know the uke was bound up and had to cease fighting as he was so restricted.

The tori was doing kihon type movements with the rope in his hands and got some really outstanding results. It was a good place to start on my work with the rope, as well.

Just some thoughts you may be able to use to get you started!

Doug Tweedy
Bujinkan Shima Dojo
Richmond, VA
www.rvabujinkan.com

Posted on: 2009/5/6 2:49

Village Old Timer
From San Francisco, California, USA
Group:
Yep. What Doug said.

And for the other side of that, letting your body "be a rope" when doing taijutsu, just move the way you would with the rope and let the uke tangle and lock himself up.

Posted on: 2009/5/6 4:07

Frequent Visitor
Group:
Keep it coming guys. I admit I quite enjoyed the rope work, even though admittedly it was very difficult.

It was mentioned at the seminar, or perhaps insinuated, how the rope is a metaphor for this year's theme. Dale, your point about thinking of Taijutsu as having the qualities of the rope in application did come across loud and clear.

of course knowing how to get to the top of Everest is not the same as the climb itself.

I find after most seminars that the simplest truths smack me in the face afterwards. And after working with the rope for awhile and thinking about what was said at the seminar about how the feeling of connectedness needs to continue with or without a rope it made me focus on the fact that that connectedness needs to exist within my own taijutsu as well. i.e. it really became evident how much of a full body effort every technique is. It also made me realize just how much more I should be focusing on my footwork (and here I thought I had been already)

Gambatte

Posted on: 2009/5/6 4:51

Villager
Group:
Quote:

Chopping wood wrote:
It also made me realize just how much more I should be focusing on my footwork (and here I thought I had been already)

Scott,

I think you will revisit this quote/thought numerous times during your training in the Bujinkan!

Doug Tweedy
Bujinkan Shima Dojo
Richmond, VA
www.rvabujinkan.com

Posted on: 2009/5/7 9:05

Frequent Visitor
Group:
I have a feeling you are correct Doug. Just hate it when the obvious thoughts are the ones you realized that you had missed/lost sight of

Posted on: 2009/5/7 11:31

Village Old Timer
From San Francisco, California, USA
Group:
Scott, regarding footwork: a tongue-in-cheek (yet serious) way I describe our art to beginners is, "Bujinkan budo taijutsu is the art of martially effective walking around".

Posted on: 2009/5/7 12:40

Frequent Visitor
Group:
Dale,

That made me laugh and I see your point. I'll keep that in mind

Posted on: 2009/5/8 0:07

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]