Register now!
Socialize

Recent Topics

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Serious Bujinkan training
Just Passing Through
Group:
村民 :: Villager
I was wondering if there is any dojos in the world in which i could train daily for a long period of time, as all i have found is places which train for one or two hours every week. i would be willing to travel anywhere and i am extremely keen on some serious training in ninjutsu.
thankyou

Posted on: 2009/5/31 12:26
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Serious Bujinkan training
Village Old Timer
From Dayton, Ohio
Group:
Jody,

Self training is as if not more important than training within a dojo. Serious personal study of what is taught in class for 1 hour every few days could take hours if you desired. This can be done at home, in a park, or a Gym. Don't limit yourself to training only in a Dojo.

If you can travel anywhere to train, why not go to the source? Move to Japan.

Marty

Posted on: 2009/5/31 14:59

Cant Stay Offline
From Hamina, Finland
Group:
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Well, at Honbu there's training more than less every day, somedays several classes.....

Posted on: 2009/5/31 15:27
(Bujinkan Budōka since 1985)

Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
議長 :: Mod
Do you live in the US Jody? Most people do practice on their own and use class time to aid in that solo training. If you want one instructor to train you hour after hour I don't think you will find that anywhere, each student must take personal responsibility for their own training. My barn dojo is always open but I'm not out there willing to instruct hour after hour. All of us also have lives and ninjutsu ADDS to that life, it doesn't BECOME our life. Again most people who train and instruct in this art have other occupations and do this because we love it. I am retired and at my age I don't need to do anything I don't enjoy, which is why I practice and teach Bujinkan ninjutsu.

Posted on: 2009/5/31 21:27

Village Old Timer
From Istanbul Turkiye
Group:
If you come around Istanbul please feel free to come and join our training, we train 7 days a week.

Posted on: 2009/5/31 21:48
-----------------------------------------

Honorary Villager
From Nanaimo, BC, Canada
Group:
The whole world is a dojo. I highly highly recommend trying to apply the principles that you learn in the dojo in daily life as well as directly for the study of fighting.

Ever since I first started, I've been using the movements I learned in class for other things. In the beginning, it was a way to practice and internalize certain movements. Things like opening a door into and out of the buildings at my university by using my footwork and bodyweight instead of just my arms, or using the footwork and certain aspects of bojutsu while mopping the floor after a shift of working as a cook in a restaurant. That's where it started, it was very conscious at the time.

I still do think, but now it's more... automatic and subtle than it used to be. Much like my taijutsu. But now, my movments both inside and outside the dojo, as well as my way of positioning myself when I am around other people, or how I speak to different kinds of people in different situations, how I eat, sleep, think etc etc etc. are all tied into Bujinkan. This isn't to say that budo is all I think about or do everyday, but it is to say that it's IN everything I think and do.

This, plus two or three classes a week, plus plain old going over what basics you've been learning in class on the days when you don't have one (i.e. sanshin, jumonji no kata, hicho no kata, bojutsu, ukemi and so on) will make you one hell of a martial artist in a relatively short time. With a decent teacher and about 5 to 7 years of doing this sort of thing, you'll come real far.

Posted on: 2009/6/7 18:04

Frequent Visitor
From canada
Group:
Find a city with more than one dojo, train at all of them. That should easily amount to daily classes. There are a few places that train more days than not, but if you can get a spread of instruction then even better. Go everywhere you can.

Posted on: 2009/6/8 10:51

"Practice every day, every moment...Learn from everything."
- Masaaki Hatsumi, Hiden no Togakure Ryu Ninpo

You cannot understand something if you first limit its scope.

Permanent Village Fixture
Group:
To answer your question typically "No". Serious training doesn't always mean long periods of time. The folks who train the way you described are hard to come by or they left the Bujinkan.

Posted on: 2009/6/8 14:07

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor