Recent Topics

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: The Mongol Invasion and the ninja
Villager
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Quote:

Kenny Knight wrote:I have a few questions here on this.

1st. Did ninja exist during this time period?

2nd. What ways do you think it would have effected strategy and technique?

1- there is no record or mention of them at the time.

Yes, there have been people who have spied on each other and some who did surprise attacks since mankind has existed. That does not make them ninja. The ninja were a very specific group of people that performed a certain task. It is kind of like saying that knights are like samurai, but there are certain things that make the samurai unique. There were certain things that made the ninja unique, and they did not start showing up until later. In fact, the groups that later evolved into ninja in the Iga area were pretty hostile to the government in power at the time. So even though some samurai sneaked aboard some ships in sneak attacks, that does not make them ninja anymore than a knight using a curved blade becomes a samurai.

2- Endless speculation. There probably would have been a few more fires onboard the Mongol ships. One of the things the ninja excelled at was blending with groups and gathering information. That would not be possible with the Mongols or their Korean navy. In the later invasion of Korea, after the ninja were well established in Japan, there is not really all that much to indicate they had much of an important role. They did best inside Japan disguised as Japanese.

Posted on: 2009/6/30 21:25
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Just Passing Through
From Fort Payne, Alabama
Group:
So as I understand part of the ninja then were to help govern and plan strategy. So during the first invasion, Japan used their smaller swifter boats to board the Mongol boats.

Prior to the second invasion, walls were built at landing points and permanent watch was set up at the coast line.

So looking back and seeing the decision made in the heat of battle and planning and preparatory stages of pre-invasion.
I feel this a different level of strategy than one on one combat.

I point this out because I wounder is this type of stragey still taught?

Posted on: 2009/7/1 10:29

Village Old Timer
From Istanbul Turkiye
Group:
Quote:

Kenny Knight wrote:
So as I understand part of the ninja then were to help govern and plan strategy. So during the first invasion, Japan used their smaller swifter boats to board the Mongol boats.

Prior to the second invasion, walls were built at landing points and permanent watch was set up at the coast line.

So looking back and seeing the decision made in the heat of battle and planning and preparatory stages of pre-invasion.
I feel this a different level of strategy than one on one combat.

I point this out because I wounder is this type of stragey still taught?

I believe that it was just logic, it does not need to be taught.
Japanese knew that they would have no chance once Mongol army was on their horse back with their bows and arrows.

Posted on: 2009/7/1 17:01
-----------------------------------------

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor