Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Socialize

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

little yellow cards (bujinkan membership) WTF?
Active Kutakian
From SLC,Ut
Group:
村民 :: Villager
ok so without being (intentionally) disrespectful to those in japan charged with the administration of our organization i have a question: WTF? i joined the bujinkan in august 2006, come 2007 i paid my 2000 yen and some months later finally got my first (AND ONLY) 'little yellow card'. my problem is this: when it came time for 2008, again i got my 2000 yen ready gave it to my sensei and it was sent off. ok so something went wrong and we were told, " due to the error you will get your 2009 cards free of charge ". and i thought that was totally fair. Unfortunately, i took a trip to vegas early june this year and got in a day of training with my sensei back home. at the end of class i asked if there was any word about the afore mentioned little yellow cards....
well now i was surprised by the response. not only was there yet another problem, what im not sure(except for obviously poor admin skills) and that instead of 2009 cards we were given 2005 cards. hence my WTF. i wasnt even a part of the bujinkan in 05, why are past year cards even still in existance let alone laying around and incorrectly given for 2009 and im out (a measly, yes but still mine) 20 bucks WTF? if these are required perhaps someone could/SHOULD get it right. honestly i know its a small mistake but c'mon really? 2005? id have rather heard "ok 2010 free of charge" i really dont know what to say exept what a disappointment. anyone else face similar dilemas? i really hate the thought of going to the Van Donk site just to get one. i know the shidoshi cards are even more expensive so i hope none of you out there had to face this. seriously i know its twenty bucks and all, but after almost 2 years and nothing to show for it? i know some of you on here live in japan so i was hoping someone could explain this lil' mix-up_

Posted on: 2009/7/3 9:31

Re: little yellow cards (bujinkan membership) WTF?
村長 :: Sonchou
From Chiba, Japan
Group:
村長 :: Admin
Hi Matt,

The person to contact about this would be Joji Ohashi. You can contact him through his website: http://www001.upp.so-net.ne.jp/bujinkan/ , or on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/reqs.php#/profile.php?id=729691815&ref=ts (if you have a facebook account and are logged in).

Best regards,

Shawn

Posted on: 2009/7/3 10:38
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Kutaki Postmaster
From South East UK
Group:
I have always got my card, and always with the correct details even if I've had to wait a while, just to show the other side of the coin so to speak.

Same with certificates, they get to me eventually and are a pleasant surprise if I've forgotten I was waiting for them.

What is a membership card anyway? You never have to show it to anyone so it is little more than a receipt for your membership fee.

I think some people like to show off and flash their card at 'civilians' and feel that lack of a current card somehow voids their status as a virile practicing ninja!

I'm not saying that the OP is being unreasonable, just pointing out that administrative mishaps are not necessarily the norm.

Baransu.

Posted on: 2009/7/10 5:57

Cant Stay Offline
From Hamina, Finland
Group:
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Quote:

ElfTengu wrote:
What is a membership card anyway? You never have to show it to anyone so it is little more than a receipt for your membership fee.

We have it so, that if one shows the card at seminars one gets a lil' off the price. Usually 50%.

I think I've heard of similar practises elsewhere, too.

Posted on: 2009/7/10 7:00
(Bujinkan Budōka since 1985)

Kutaki Postmaster
From South East UK
Group:
Quote:

Ôari wrote:
Quote:

ElfTengu wrote:

We have it so, that if one shows the card at seminars one gets a lil' off the price. Usually 50%.

I think I've heard of similar practises elsewhere, too.

I'm back in my fluffy world again but did I read that correctly?

To make a seminar viable this discount would surely have to apply to a minority of the attendees, which means your seminars are attended largely by non members, which must affect the quality of training and training partners as well if they aren't training regularly at an official dojo.

Here in the UK this just doesn't happen in my experience. If anything, there is a set price for attending a seminar and maybe very occasionally a higher price for non-members but I've never seen anyone actually be asked for their card.

If we did what you do, every seminar would reap nearly 50% less than the projected income because pretty much everyone here is a paid up member rather than seminars being a gathering of 'ronin' and nearly everyone would be claiming their 50% off. Paying Hombu membership would actually be worth it based on the average seminar fee anyway (£25-£30 per day) if you did get in for half price, or perhaps the seminars are just really expensive over your way?

We also have a very strong ethic here of paying membership to Hombu. We expect everyone who claims to be a Bujinkan member to be paying for that priviledge. Non members are in the minority, or perhaps we are just hung up on grades and know that no membership equals no nice certificates or badges when we pass a grading.

There are teachers who take money and send none to Hombu and there are occasionally dojo that don't bother at all, or have their own internal membership fees.

I am one of many people who spread the word that if you don't get a yellow card once a year then you are not training under a teacher with links to the source and are effectively 'outside' the Bujinkan. Look kids, I'm even doing it now!

Non members seeking all the benefits of membership without paying out should be hounded relentlessly. You're either in or out and if you're in you pay. It's hardly a king's ransom!

If you're new to the art and it's late in the year then your teacher may not ask for membership fees, but come January he should certainly mention it, and if he is particularly honest like my teacher he will ask for the current yen conversion equivalent rather than a fixed fees or fees that always go up regardless of the exchange rate. And having paid your membership you should at some point, maybe even 7 months later (but don't sweat it) receive an official membership card from Hombu, I don't think there are many problems with fake ones but if you get your card a week after you pay and you don't live in Japan then be careful that the ink isn't still wet from someone's inkjet.

And if a Shidoshi pays their own shidoshi fees but fails to send off their students' fees, that would about as dishonest as you can get. Real double standards.

So perhaps I take it back to a degree, maybe membership cards do have some value in that at least the holder is assured that they are a member of the Bujinkan.

Posted on: 2009/7/10 7:39

Honorary Villager
From Blountville, Tennessee
Group:
I see it like this:
(1) I want to continue my membership in the Bujinkan.
(2) Soke has set up the organization as he sees fit.
(3) Membership is part of the organization.
(4) Thus, I must (read as requirement/obligation) purchase my membership to continue training.

It's really quite simple.

Also, if I'm correct - the Hombu Admin staff volunteers thier time to help out Soke.

Cut them some slack. Mix ups do happen - they are dealing with thousands of rank certificates, requests, people that speak numerous foriegn languages, etc.

Just my two cents,

Posted on: 2009/7/10 8:57

"To secure peace is to prepare for war."
- Carl Von Clausewitz

"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training."

村長 :: Sonchou
From Budapest - Hungary
Group:
村長 :: Admin
Everybody makes mistakes - especially those who do the job, and on a volunteer basis.
In my opinion there are more discrete (proper?) ways to sort out the situation than jumping into it on the www, like a bull in the china-shop. The whole thing might really have been just some unfortunate mistake - I am sure about that.

Eva

Posted on: 2009/7/11 6:48

Village Old Timer
From Istanbul Turkiye
Group:
Do not worry, everytying will be sort out. Sometimes it is a slow process but it is not sth. can not be corrected. Just ask Ohashi San and he will help you out.

Posted on: 2009/7/11 17:14
-----------------------------------------

Active Kutakian
From SLC,Ut
Group:
i do apologize for all my wtf's and realize i showed a serious lack of respect (for that i dont feel i can apologize enough) i tried to add Ohashi-Sensei thru facebook.com so far nothing i know people are very busy perhaps i didnt link thru correctly i shall try again. again i apologize for my very unwarrior-like conduct. i shall attemp to pursue this thru proper channels.

i do need some advise thou i no longer live in las vegas which should be were they are sent so can i ask to have it sent to me here in Utah or when my sensei get them have him send it my way?

i in no way desire this card to be CARD CARRYING ninja whathaveyou. just to show i follow requirements asked of me as a member of the Bujinkan and figure if i travel to japan i may need it to show at the hombu door? i dont know how it works i havent been there yet but am planning a trip, thou it is by myself as i dont think i can arange it under the group i train with out here and , cant necessarily coordinate it with the dojo in vegas. i would send the 2000 yen yearly even if no card were involved to pay my dues and respect to the organization that has givin me the opportunity to learn this amazing knowledge. but since im told i get this little card i would like to have it, i also thinkof it as my little peice of something from japan till i get to visit japan myself

ive been studying under the bujinkan since 06 and know i am still way newbie.
so again i want to apologize for the way i spoke (typed) and hope in time people can see past my ranting.

Matt

Posted on: 2009/7/12 8:43

Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
What I would do Matt, is contact Grorgi and see if it can be mailed directly to you. Just send in the form with the 2000 yen, your address on an envelope and I think they will do that as it makes it a lot easier for them.

Posted on: 2009/7/12 11:30

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor