Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Welcome Back
村長 :: Sonchou
From Chiba, Japan
Group:
村長 :: Admin
村民 :: Villager
Welcome back - hope everyone had a good summer!

So the new and improved Kutaki website is back in action. Thanks for your patience while the site was down. It was nice to have enough time to not panic while doing the upgrade. :) There were a lot of problems, as anticipated, but having the whole month to work on it in my spare time allowed me to get almost everything working.

This was a major upgrade, not only skipping up several versions, but also to a completely different branch of the development tree for the Kutaki software. Those of you familiar with software development can likely relate to the problems normally encountered in such a move - incompatibilities, modules no longer being supported, etc., etc. At this point there are still a few of modules that are not ready for use with the new system:

- News
- Downloads
- Weblinks
- ShidoshiCard

These will be re-implemented as time allows. They aren't really essential features of the site so I decided to go ahead an re-open without them having been de-bugged yet. Unfortunately, we will not be able to accept new applications for access to the Shidoshikai forum until the ShidoshiCard module is brought up to speed. Users who currently have access will be able to continue to use that forum.

There has been one person who mentioned that the banners at the top of the page overlap due to being too wide for the spot they're in. I was unable to replicate that unless I went down to 800 x 600 resolution. Anything over that worked fine for me. If you encounter this, please let me know your: OS, browser and browser version, and screen resolution. (I will not be able to do much unless I have all of that information.)

Some new features:
- Cool icons at the top right of the page
- Number of unread messages is indicated on the main page - no need to go into the Messages page to look.
- New and improved Events function. This may take some getting used to and could have some bugs. Please let me know by PM if you have any questions or encounter problems.
- Ability to link-in YouTube clips right into posts and Event notices. This is a cool function I think - you can watch the video right inside the forums rather than hopping out to an external link and then back.

We are also planning to restore the Kutaki no Ha Podcast feed so that you can access and listen to the old episodes. I am now more open to producing more new episodes, but no specific schedule has been fixed yet. It may be some time before this happens.

Other than the things mentioned above, most of the actual upgrade affected the back end of the site rather than the front end, so things will look pretty much the same as before, with the exception of the new "greenish" theme. I test-drove over 20 different themes on the site and this one was the best combination of looks and functionality.

Please post any feedback that you might have about the site. Hopefully we can take any suggestions for improvement into account and implement them. Not everything will be possible though, I'm sure. :)

Happy September!

Shawn Gray
Kutaki Admin

Posted on: 2009/9/1 20:46
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Welcome Back
Honorary Villager
From Hamburg, Germany
Group:
Coooooool, looking forward to the updated forum!!!

Great work, Shawn...

Posted on: 2009/9/1 21:58

www.tamonten-yamashiro.de

Just Passing Through
Group:
I look forward to the potential return of the podcast, I still like to listen to the old ones from time to time on my MP3 player. With regards to the banner issue you mentioned I experienced this to in IE6 but it was fine in Firefox v3.5.

Anyway I'm glad the site's back up and look forward to reading more interesting topics in the future.

Posted on: 2009/9/1 22:09

New look
Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Nice new look Shawn, do the posts that have been read still switch to the less bright color?

Posted on: 2009/9/1 22:14

Re: New look
村長 :: Sonchou
From Chiba, Japan
Group:
村長 :: Admin
Hi Ed,

It's likely that the icons have all been reset to their original state since this type of thing normally works with browser cookies, which have probably expired / changed with the implementation of the new version. Time will tell whether or not this feature works. :)

I hope it does - I know you've been wanting that fixed for a long time. haha

Best wishes,

Shawn

Posted on: 2009/9/1 22:22

Kutaki Postmaster
From Dublin, Ireland
Group:
Well done Shawn, the new site looks great!

Posted on: 2009/9/1 23:10

Villager
From Germany
Group:
Wow, all looks a bit different but green is said to be good for the eyes (kidding), hey, well done! Let's have interesting talks for the coming monthsQuote:

kouryuu wrote:
Welcome back - hope everyone had a good summer!

So the new and improved Kutaki website is back in action. Thanks for your patience while the site was down. It was nice to have enough time to not panic while doing the upgrade. :) There were a lot of problems, as anticipated, but having the whole month to work on it in my spare time allowed me to get almost everything working.

This was a major upgrade, not only skipping up several versions, but also to a completely different branch of the development tree for the Kutaki software. Those of you familiar with software development can likely relate to the problems normally encountered in such a move - incompatibilities, modules no longer being supported, etc., etc. At this point there are still a few of modules that are not ready for use with the new system:

- News
- Downloads
- Weblinks
- ShidoshiCard

These will be re-implemented as time allows. They aren't really essential features of the site so I decided to go ahead an re-open without them having been de-bugged yet. Unfortunately, we will not be able to accept new applications for access to the Shidoshikai forum until the ShidoshiCard module is brought up to speed. Users who currently have access will be able to continue to use that forum.

There has been one person who mentioned that the banners at the top of the page overlap due to being too wide for the spot they're in. I was unable to replicate that unless I went down to 800 x 600 resolution. Anything over that worked fine for me. If you encounter this, please let me know your: OS, browser and browser version, and screen resolution. (I will not be able to do much unless I have all of that information.)

Some new features:
- Cool icons at the top right of the page
- Number of unread messages is indicated on the main page - no need to go into the Messages page to look.
- New and improved Events function. This may take some getting used to and could have some bugs. Please let me know by PM if you have any questions or encounter problems.
- Ability to link-in YouTube clips right into posts and Event notices. This is a cool function I think - you can watch the video right inside the forums rather than hopping out to an external link and then back.

We are also planning to restore the Kutaki no Ha Podcast feed so that you can access and listen to the old episodes. I am now more open to producing more new episodes, but no specific schedule has been fixed yet. It may be some time before this happens.

Other than the things mentioned above, most of the actual upgrade affected the back end of the site rather than the front end, so things will look pretty much the same as before, with the exception of the new "greenish" theme. I test-drove over 20 different themes on the site and this one was the best combination of looks and functionality.

Please post any feedback that you might have about the site. Hopefully we can take any suggestions for improvement into account and implement them. Not everything will be possible though, I'm sure. :)

Happy September!

Shawn Gray
Kutaki Admin

Posted on: 2009/9/1 23:45

Active Kutakian
From New York
Group:
Welcome back! And Good work! Congrats to Shawn... I'm sure it was a bit more work than he thought it would be!

Posted on: 2009/9/2 3:55

Kutaki Postmaster
From South East UK
Group:
Glad it all went okay Shawn, and glad to be back, let us all start off with renewed enthusiasm for our art and let this be reflected in the rebuilt village!

Posted on: 2009/9/2 22:13

Village Old Timer
From Istanbul Turkiye
Group:
Hey Shawn,
I am glad that everything went ok with the site. I like it .

Posted on: 2009/9/4 16:23
-----------------------------------------

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor