Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Looking for Ninjitsu Training Partners in the NW Indiana Area
Just Passing Through
From Lake Station, IN
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Good Morning Ronin,

Coincidentally we are from the same town. I just moved back home from college, and started reading this board for more information while I research which "local" dojo I might be interested in. I hear you loud and clear on what the flooding did here.

I understand the shoestring budget part, having only recently graduated myself. If I wouldn't be going to class straight from work (in IL) I would try to figure out a carpooling arrangement if practical.

I wanted to run past you one idea, though. If you can scrounge up ANY extra money, you could probably take our handy South Shore line into downtown Chicago. Its relatively cheap (I believe $6 fare, cheaper for students) and with a connect could get you within walking distance. I won't speak for the local Bujinkan instructors, but most of the other instructors I have known would accept a little help cleaning in exchange for tuition. If you can set aside the train fare, you might be able to train in person yet.

I formerly trained in TKD and Aikido. I've tried reference books and videos, with little success. You have to know the material, it seems, to be able to understand properly the videos, making it circular. In the worst case, I believe you would be better waiting until your degree is finished to begin training. While I was studying my nearest school (now closed, I think) was an hour away. I couldn't afford the gas then, so I had to wait, but being able to train in person will actually get you where you want to be. Better to delay a year or two and then be productive than to waste five years wearing out tapes and dvds.

CJ

Posted on: 2009/10/28 17:31
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Village Old Timer
Group:
議長 :: Mod
You could ask one of these teachers to visit you and your group monthly or even weekly instead of traveling if you have enough people and a location.

Well, regardless it's generally spelt ninjutsu and not ninjitsu and it isn't really called that much it's generally called budo taijutsu these days.

That was the biggest clue that you haven't ever trained in the art.

Seriously look into bringing a teacher to you.

Posted on: 2009/10/29 1:12

Frequent Visitor
From Lake Station, Indiana USA
Group:
Liastner, I'm going to PM you later on today and see whats up with training with each other and Rjhii if I ever get the money to actually go to a Bujinkan dojo or pay for a Bujinkan instructor to ever come and train with me and anyone else that trains with me I will. (Liastner can tell this also our area generally is very poor and only with lots of working class people) but until then I'm pulling an Evan Tanner and just studying books and DVDs with a group of like minded and dedicated people that want to master Ninjitsu/Ninjutsu/ Budo Taijutsu/ Shinobi-jutsu or whatever else people prefer to call it to me its still the art of the famed Shinobi no mono of Japan or more commonly known as the ninja.

Posted on: 2009/10/29 3:33

Active Kutakian
Group:
_MSC_CLICK_TO_OPEN_IMAGE

Posted on: 2009/10/29 8:40

Village Old Timer
Group:
Books cost 30 - 50 dollars.
Videos about the same.

That's one, two day seminar somewhere.
Or it's the cost of a teacher visiting you once a week or twice a month if you find a small group of people interested in doing it.

But, if you rather watch videos and train on your own with other people that don't know what they are doing, then I think it's best no one trains with you.

Everyone would be better off.

Find a teacher and make the effort. It's your best bet, the rest is a waste of time and money.

Posted on: 2009/10/29 9:03

Village Old Timer
From Matsudo City, Chiba, Japan
Group:
Ditto what Rob said.

You live close to major centers with experienced budo taijutsu teachers have dojos. Go train with them once a month.

In some circumstances, the biggest challenge of budo is getting to training. If you haven't got money, save. If you're too far away, move. If you can't do this now, wait.

Don't waste money and time on videos or books which teach you _about_ budo, but can't teach you budo.

Posted on: 2009/10/29 9:48

Frequent Visitor
Group:
I'm not trying to be a pain in the a$$ I know that the best way to learn Ninjutsu or any martial art period is with an instructor that is more experienced teaching you. But when you don't have the funds and you pretty much got the knowledge of human anatomy and what your friends that practice grappling arts like BJJ and Submission Wrestling can show you when they can involving joint locks and human reaction to these techniques in a fight (I have relatives as well as numerous friends that fight in MMA bouts out where I stay at) that is all I got to work with and I got to make due with what I got. I'm not going to lie to any of you if American Warrior Arts didn't close or moved I would of been there training or at the least practicing on the concrete sidewalk what I was able to see until I got the funds to do so and I wouldn't even be here looking for random people off of the internet to train with. Again I'm not trying to be a thorn in anybody's a$$ if I can meet up with Liastnir (I sent him a PM but he hasn't got back to me yet) and we can work something out to go to Chicago or he can show me what he learned from practicing at a dojo in Chicago and we can practice outside of the dojo so that not only can he get better with his training but I can still get some instruction in Ninjutsu that is fine by me. If we can work something out I'm set and if not like all of you have been saying to me just wait until I get the funds as well as the time to go to the dojo and train with an instructor.

Posted on: 2009/10/29 11:22

Frequent Visitor
Group:
Well, I decided to give everyone a little update I finally found someone to train with the guy is currently in the Army and he is into Army Combatives so I got my work cut out ahead of me because he's trying out for Special Forces too. Also regarding me using home study courses to learn Ninjutsu/Ninjitsu from I would like to provide a video from Shidoshi Jeffrey Miller he's a Bujinkan Ninjutsu Instructor also with his views on using home study courses to learn martial arts from.

Shidoshi Jeffrey Miller

http://www.warrior-concepts-online.com/learn-ninjutsu.html

Posted on: 2010/1/3 18:21

Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
I'm going to disagree with Mr Miller who, if I understand him correctly, indicates that you CAN learn from books and videos. No, that won;t work, UNLESS you have already done the movements with an instructor. If you have already done that then videos and books can be really good aids. There are a number of very good instructors in the Chicago area, to name a few, Mark Bush, Eric Strong, Bob Trojan, Vic Sendeleski,, You may have very skilled people in the other things they do but MMA is NOT self defense and is compttition oriented only. BJJ the same. You can learn a lot from what they know but you will also acquire the weaknesses they have. Many instructors will work with you if you can get to see them even once a month and then if you can do that the other things you say you have access to can be excellent aids in your learning. The value of a good instructor is to keep you from spending major amounts of your valuable resources of time, energy, and money without gaining needed value. As is always true, sir, it is your choice and you will live with the results of that choice. No one can change that.

Posted on: 2010/1/4 0:20

Villager
From London
Group:
Ditto on the 'you can't learn from a video'. It's not simply a matter of the body only moving so many ways because, it seems to me, it's not really about 'getting that lock on really good'.

Anyway, James Morganelli is in Chicago. His contact info is here: www.sgtidojo.com .

I used to drive about an hour and a half each way to train with him - I wish that were an option now (I currently live abroad). You're lucky to live so close to instruction of that quality and you're wasting your time with doing anything but taking advantage of it.

It sounds like you're happy with what you're doing, that's cool; so I post this mostly for other people that may happen along this thread.

Posted on: 2010/1/4 7:43

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor