Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Anti Foreigner Demonstration in Tokyo Hallowe'en Night
村長 :: Sonchou
From Chiba, Japan
Group:
村長 :: Admin
村民 :: Villager
Sometimes foreigners living in Japan experience discrimination based on race or colour. For a lot of caucasians, this is the first time they have experienced racial discrimination, and it can be a big wake-up call.

Whenever I mention to Japanese people that I know that I have been racially discriminated against in Japan in the past, they act shocked, as if something like that could never happen here, and often insinuate that I must have been mistaken or misunderstood something due to the culture or language barriers.

This right-wing protest in Tokyo on Saturday night makes things quite clear:

http://www.japanprobe.com/2009/11/01/ ... tokyo-on-halloween-night/

Of course not all Japanese people think like this, but it only takes a couple of times of being discriminated against to really leave a sore taste in your mouth. The size, volume, and central location (Shinjuku Station, Tokyo's biggest) may bring this issue to the attention of those who have been ignorant of it up until now.

Shawn

Attach file:

jpg  motherfuck-foreigners.jpg (35.57 KB)
1_4aee8608f322a.jpg 466X290 px

Posted on: 2009/11/2 16:11
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Anti Foreigner Demonstration in Tokyo Hallowe'en Night
Village Old Timer
From Dayton, Ohio
Group:
Thinking like an american red neck..... does that make them Yellow necks?

My daughter is living in Indonesia for the next year. She does not like to walk in crowds because the indonesians think she does not speak their language and often say very rude things about her.

I think it kind of goes with the territory. The more Global the world becomes, the more the small minded nationalists grip their small piece of the world.

Marty

Posted on: 2009/11/2 16:40

Village Old Timer
Group:
議長 :: Mod
ROFL isn't racisim just peachy. It comes with signs and costumes, I suppose peace and "equality" is just a bit further out of reach due in part by all sort of Ultra- conservative nationalists in every country and faulty reasoning. Loving your county or your culture doesn't mean you have hate other cultures or countries.

"Give peace a chance" should be replaced with something more coherent like "Give rational thoughts a chance".

FYI Japan doesn't need Halloween they have Akiba and it's celebrated every day.

Posted on: 2009/11/2 17:11

Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
We are fortunate in the Bujinkan with the persons we deal with. Dr Hatsumi and his Shihan are all open and unbiased people. The people where I stay at the Hanata Guest House are also really nice people. There still does exist that "gaijin" attitude among many of the Japanese and that word is not a compliment. Most countries have such problems and it really is stupid as on the levels that matter we are all the same.

Posted on: 2009/11/2 21:21

Honorary Villager
From South Texas
Group:
You suppose they don't like Mexicans either? I once heard of a Mariachi in Japan, with Japanese Members. Mariachi Vargas goes there from time to time, they even recorded a song in Japanese... Ah, racism... It makes me wanna laugh

Posted on: 2009/11/3 1:35

El vivir es dormir, El morir es despertar....

Active Kutakian
From SLC,Ut
Group:
kinda crazy but ive heard before the Japanese ( some not all? ) can be quite prejudiced, even concerning other asian cultures go figure, nationalism is an aspect of many other cultures unfortunately. i just wonder if they have violent tendancies like that which has been seen in other parts of the world ie bosnia, rowanda, , the middle east to name a few.

anyone else see the ironic humor in that the protest sign is in english....

"motherf*(k foreigners" lmao.

Posted on: 2009/11/3 6:57

Village Old Timer
From Matsudo City, Chiba, Japan
Group:
The protesters' banners show how ignorant they are of the real situation of foreigners here. While caucasian westerners may be the most visible group of foreigners, the majority of foreigners are Asians and Japanese descendants.

Quote:
Foreigners in Japan

In 2003, there were 1,915,030 registered foreigners in Japan, representing 1.5% of Japan's population of 127 million. Most of them live in the Kanto (800,000 or 42%), Chubu (400,000 or 21%) and Kansai (451,000 or 23.5%) regions...

From where do Japan's foreign residents originate ?

The greatest part of the foreigners living in Japan come from Asia (74%), with Korea (32%), China (24%) and the Philippines (10%) leading....
South Americans make up the second largest group (18%). Many of them are Nikkei, or second generation Japanese who returned to Japan after their parents emigrated to South America after the Second World War. The 275,000 Brazilians and 54,000 Peruvians make up 95% of the South American residents in Japan and 17% of all foreigners. They mostly live in central Japan, particularily in the prefectures of Aichi, Shizuoka, Gifu, Mie, Nagano and Gunma.

from http://www.jref.com/society/foreigners_in_japan.shtml

These protesters are out of touch with reality. Lately PM Hatoyama has proposed a bill that would give voting rights to resident foreigners, and the government is attracting more foreign students to Japan.

Posted on: 2009/11/3 9:01

Active Kutakian
Group:
I think the issue is far more complicated here.

I remember the Halloween take-over of the Yamanote line being debated over the letters section of the Japan Times back in the early nineties. The Japanese have different values when it comes to behaviour on public transport and a large number seriously object to loud, costumed drunks taking over. Egging and flouring other passengers doesn't help either (although this was probably not the norm).

When I saw the backlash by right wing groups I wasn't surprised but in this case I think the generalised racism is being directed at something specific that they (and many others in the general population) disapprove of. Yes, most foreigners are from non western countries but this annual "event" is pretty much dominated by the hoards of young "English teachers" and backpackers from the US and UK. The attitudes of a lot of these guys is every bit as racist as their protesters, they know they are annoying the locals and don't care.

http://www.japanprobe.com/2009/10/14/ ... ote-halloween-train-2009/

Posted on: 2009/11/4 6:41

Frequent Visitor
Group:
sticks and stones...

best thing that comes from this is that it makes you recognize the other side of the racist argument. I really appreciated the opportunity to see what it was like to be in the minority and be the subject of racism. It starts at the top and trickles down, just like most good things.

If you are Gaijin you are second class - it is evident in absolutely everything you try to achieve in Japan.

I loved it.

Posted on: 2009/11/4 12:26

村長 :: Sonchou
From Chiba, Japan
Group:
村長 :: Admin
Its quite interesting that the protest this year comes along at a time when the annual Yamanote party is really dwindling in numbers... a few years ago they had much more to complain about in terms of rowdy foreigners. Perhaps they were to afraid to protest then due to the large numbers of big, drunken foreigners, and now that the numbers have dwindled they finally feel secure enough to come out and speak their minds. (Sorry, I love to play devil's advocate, as you know.)

Thanks for those stats, Liz - great info!

Shawn

Posted on: 2009/11/4 18:14

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor