Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Unsubscribed
Re: Anti Foreigner Demonstration in Tokyo Hallowe'en Night
Deleted_Unsubscribed
the sign is silly . the issue sobering

i was in japan in 2006 and i had one experience
where a school girl walking by with her friends
said gaijin under her breath as they passed .
Now take into account that i was standing
in front of a Kentucky Fried Chicken store with a giant take out bag of chicken in my hands ( all for me )... but it stung
all the same being called the " G " word . and she looked back with a nasty smirk on her face and i just gave her a nod .
i could not help but think about the fact that Americans
dropped the worst weapons known to man on this country and right wrong or indifferent ... i was an icon to some , of that world changing event . Some is the operative word here though , and i met a great deal more people who greeted me warmly in japan than the single instance of hostility .
It is interesting and kind of a spectacle that this anti foreigner protest took place on Halloween.... but then again im sure there was some klu klux klan red neck Halloween monster mash here in the states also.....
but as an American i can say confidently ..... that hypothetical shindig does not represent the whole of the American people any more than the train station take over represents All Japanese people .

thats just my 2 amero's

Posted on: 2009/11/5 16:38
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Active Kutakian
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Quote:

3footcrow wrote:
the sign is silly . the issue sobering

Again … the sign was taken out of context to push Shaun’s agenda here.

The Halloween takeover of the Yamanote line has been going on since the ‘80s and the backlash against it is the cause of a protester holding a sign saying “Warning! Muther-f*ck Foreigners This is Japan not a White Country!” IN CONTEXT is venting extreme disapproval at the event.

Quote:

3footcrow wrote:
It is interesting and kind of a spectacle that this anti foreigner protest took place on Halloween....

It’s not when you know the “event” has been an excuse for white trash to take over a train and get back at the locals.

I’m with the uyoku on this one. There is nothing I would have enjoyed seeing more than some of these smarmy, nerdy so called English teacher types getting a smacking.

I like the way one minute Shaun is writing about how this proves his suffering against racial discrimination one minute and the next he’s going on about how in previous years people were frightened to protest over the large number of larger, drunk foreigners?

What a joke.

Posted on: 2009/11/5 17:10

Unsubscribed
Deleted_Unsubscribed
sorry duncan your point was lost on me ...?
IDK

the sign is still silly , the issue still sobering

you seem to have allot of anger towards shaun and smarmy english teachers abroad .
i guess i should have thought twice before posting .

YOU should be happy !!!! you live in Australia you lucky bugger .

G' day ?

Posted on: 2009/11/5 17:26

村長 :: Sonchou
From Chiba, Japan
Group:
村長 :: Admin
Sorry, I guess the two smileys and the comment about liking to play devil's advocate didn't count for anything. It was meant to be tongue-in-cheek.

Shawn

Posted on: 2009/11/5 17:34

Active Kutakian
Group:
Quote:

kouryuu wrote:
Sorry, I guess the two smileys and the comment about liking to play devil's advocate didn't count for anything. It was meant to be tongue-in-cheek.

Shawn

Yes I know that and it's why I didn't reply immediately ... but .... 3footcrow was responding to your original post which is misrepresenting a situation.

It IS an emotive issue with me.

So going back to your original post Shaun, do you stand by it as an indication of racial discrimination in Japan or accept that you misrepresented a situation? The original post and image certainly came across that way to me.

Posted on: 2009/11/5 21:23

Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
What I wonder about is why guests in a country would feel it's allright to be offensive to their hosts? While the sign was offensive, and I also know that there is a lot of bias against anyone not Japanese in Japan, a guest always has a responsibility to respect his/her hosts way of thinking.That is true even if you don't agree with it, well as long as the host respects you and your way of thinking.

Posted on: 2009/11/5 22:09

Village Old Timer
Group:
The situation has little to do with what the host thinks, and more to do with what the hosts' distant family members think is best for the host.

This kind of thing happens, but in general it's not wide spread, the right lost their power and there pulling a Palin/Limbaugh tea bag stunt, to create some sort opposition.

It probably has little to do with people hating and more to do with politics and some ultra conservative agenda.

I hate Halloween, too. And, would really hate seeing a bunch of idiots on a train in costumes drinking and being stupid. I just don't care enough to waste my time making signs and protesting it.

Posted on: 2009/11/6 8:01

村長 :: Sonchou
From Chiba, Japan
Group:
村長 :: Admin
Quote:

Duncan wrote: So going back to your original post Shaun, do you stand by it as an indication of racial discrimination in Japan or accept that you misrepresented a situation? The original post and image certainly came across that way to me.

I stand by it as one instance of racial discrimination. I of course do not believe that all Japanese people or the majority of Japanese people think / act this way. But it is an aspect of life in Japanese society and I think it is important that people should understand this. Some people, especially budo-loving foreigners, tend to think that all Japanese people are incredibly cultured, polite, and fair, based on a utopian view of feudal Japanese society due to their love of Japanese martial arts and culture from that period. I used to be one of these people.

So the post was intended to point out that this kind of extreme behaviour does in fact exist at times, and also to stir some debate. Now the drunken behaviour of the foreigners has been brought into it as well, and I believe that someone referred to them as "English teachers" which of course is a generalization in its own right. Just as it is most likely that not all Japanese people are racist, it is also most likely that not all foreigners are rowdy train-drunks, and also just as unlikely that all of those foreigners were English teachers.

I think the "guest in someone else's home" argument only goes so far. For example, I have been living here for almost 14 years. I pay Japanese tax and health insurance, just like everyone else here. My work comes from and my salary goes into the Japanese economy, just like everyone else here. So - am I a guest or not? Should I have to walk around on eggshells just to try to avoid offending my "hosts"? (and believe me, I did that for a few years longer than I should have) If I'm no longer a guest in Japanese society, how long does one have to be here before they cross that line?

Shawn

Posted on: 2009/11/7 0:23

Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
The "guest" idea that I mentioned Shawn remains applicabe only so long as you are treated like a guest. It is like discourtesy, we always start with courtesy and only leave it when the other person has proven by their actions that they are not entitled to it.

Posted on: 2009/11/7 6:41

Active Kutakian
Group:
Quote:

kouryuu wrote:
I stand by it as one instance of racial discrimination. I of course do not believe that all Japanese people or the majority of Japanese people think / act this way.

Again, I think you are distorting a situation to push an agenda (a pretty negative one at that). This Yamanote take-over has been going on for more than 20 years now - when I first heard about it there was also eggs and flour bombs thrown. It is viewed by many of the participants as a way of getting back at the locals by harassing them. The participants are foreigners and any protest against it is going to target them. Have we all become so PC? Let's protest with a sign that says "Warning People who Participate in the Yamanote Takeover. This is not a country in which this sort of behaviour is tolerated".

Of course not all Japanese people think / act this way. Some may view it with humour at people letting off stream, most will view it with mild to great annoyance and at least a small fringe obviously feels strongly enough to protest it.

Quote:

kouryuu wrote:
Just as it is most likely that not all Japanese people are racist, it is also most likely that not all foreigners are rowdy train-drunks,

Yes and many (most) foreigners in Japan don't participate in the event and even back in the early nineties most seemed against this sort of behaviour and the people who perpetrate it. Maybe they are racist too?

Quote:

kouryuu wrote:
I think the "guest in someone else's home" argument only goes so far. For example, I have been living here for almost 14 years. I pay Japanese tax and health insurance, just like everyone else here. My work comes from and my salary goes into the Japanese economy, just like everyone else here. So - am I a guest or not? Should I have to walk around on eggshells just to try to avoid offending my "hosts"? (and believe me, I did that for a few years longer than I should have) If I'm no longer a guest in Japanese society, how long does one have to be here before they cross that line?

You live by the rules, standards and values of the community you choose to live in. It's your choice to live in Japan and I don't see how length of time or paying taxes changes that.

Posted on: 2009/11/7 8:49

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor