fskopfpatro
BladesPro 14 2017/12/9 17:45
fskopfpatro

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Togakure Ryu and Izuna Shugen
Occasional Visitor
Group:
村民 :: Villager
While doing some research I came across a possible link between the Togakure Ryu and the Izuna Shugendo.

Izuna Gongen is a Kami enshrined at Mt. Izuna in the district of Kamiminochi, Nagano Prefecture. Izuna Gongen first appears in the 1279 text Asaba- shō where Izuna no Ho is linked with the Togakushi-Dera temple.

Togakushi is the modern name of the Togakure area in which our Togakure Ryu is said to originate. The Izuna no Ho practices of Shugendo originated in the Togakure area. The Nishina family were guardians of a shrine dedicated to Izuna for hundreds of years. This family has documents detailing Takeda Shingen ordering that prayers be made to Izuna for success against Uesugi Kenshin. This could possibly be the same family that Daisuke Nishina (Daisuke Togakure) came from, although the documents come from the Sengoku jidai period - about 400 years after Daisuke.

Later in history, one of the fifty three families of Koga who were vassals of the Rokkaku family, the Ohara, still preserve ninjutsu manuscripts written in the Edo period detailing methods of gaining power from Izuna.

Posted on: 2009/12/30 8:46

Re: Togakure Ryu and Izuna Shugen
Village Old Timer
From Istanbul Turkiye
Group:
Interesting and makes sense. I am eager to see the explanations of Buyus who makes Japanese history researches.
Thanks for sharing.

Posted on: 2009/12/30 19:54
-----------------------------------------
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Occasional Visitor
Group:
You are welcome.

I just thought it was worth sharing.

Posted on: 2009/12/31 17:03

Kutaki Postmaster
Group:
Interesting but I wonder if that connection could have any impact on the teacings in Togakure Ryu. Seeing it was founded who didnt later on by people not even living in the area. Daisuke Nishina never came back as far as I understood but stayed in the Iga region. Who knows. Maybe something for Mr Zoughari to check?

Regards / Skuggvarg

Posted on: 2009/12/31 22:43

Permanent Village Fixture
Group:
Togakushi has no relationship to Togakure Ryu. If the history is even true. They only share the Kanji and nothing more.

The town that Bujinkan has a relationship with simply capitalized on the Bujinkan fame. Ask any of the older Japanese Shihan to verify what I just said. That is what I was told.

Posted on: 2010/1/1 12:45

村長 :: Sonchou
From Chiba, Japan
Group:
村長 :: Admin
Not discounting what you say, but interesting at the same time that Sensei and the Shihan would donate items (photos, artifacts, etc.) to support the ninja museum there, and also travel all the way up there in buses a couple of years ago to hold a big embu demonstration.

(Despite the tenacity of the link to authentic Togakure-ryu tradition, Togakushi Mountain is a major mountain in the shugendo tradition and has a solid link to the legend of the creation of Japan by the sun goddess Amaterasu.)

Shawn

Posted on: 2010/1/1 23:53

Kutaki Postmaster
Group:
Quote:
Togakushi has no relationship to Togakure Ryu.

Jwillz, are you sure you hearda japanese shihan say this? I thought the general story was that Daisuke Nishina was from Togakure mura in Nagano province.

Regards / Skuggvarg

Posted on: 2010/1/2 0:55

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor