Register now!
Socialize

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: Tachi
Kutaki Postmaster
Group:
村民 :: Villager
What exactly defines a tachi as opposed to the katana as a long katana can be longer than a short tachi depending on the school?

Is it being defined on the length, curve, way it is worn or just the way it is used?

Posted on: 2010/1/19 16:15
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

村長 :: Sonchou
From Chiba, Japan
Group:
村長 :: Admin
Hi Duncan,

My understanding at this point, informed by Sensei's remarks at Hombu on Sunday, is that the differences are in the curvature, the way it is worn, and the way it is used, as opposed to the length.

Sensei repeatedly stressed the differences between the ken (choku-to), katana, and tachi, made a somewhat predictable sanshin reference, and then also went on to talk about the existence of these three basic shapes in the swords of many different cultures around the world, like the Vikings, for example.

Best wishes,

Shawn

Posted on: 2010/1/19 17:32

Kutaki Postmaster
From South East UK
Group:
Quote:

kouryuu wrote:
Hi Duncan,

My understanding at this point, informed by Sensei's remarks at Hombu on Sunday, is that the differences are in the curvature, the way it is worn, and the way it is used, as opposed to the length.

Sensei repeatedly stressed the differences between the ken (choku-to), katana, and tachi, made a somewhat predictable sanshin reference, and then also went on to talk about the existence of these three basic shapes in the swords of many different cultures around the world, like the Vikings, for example.

Best wishes,

Shawn

Hi Shawn,

Can you clarify about making chokuto and ken interchangeable terms above?

I thought ken were two edged blades reminiescent of Chinese Chien and chokuto were simply straight [predominantly] single edged blades mounted as katana?

Although admittedly I have seen ken and tsurugi in katana'style koshirae, just as you occasionally see naginata blades mounted as katana etc etc, the permuations of indivual tasted must have been numerous!

i would have thought the differentiation between single and double edged blades woiuld have far more impact on the use of a sword than curvature or method of wearing prior to drawing, but appreciate that this is not the current focus. I bet more of us own tachi or tachi bokken than ken in any case!

Posted on: 2010/1/19 20:15

村長 :: Sonchou
From Chiba, Japan
Group:
村長 :: Admin
Hi Adam,

(If you don't put your name at the bottom of your post, then I have to go look at your user profile to find out what your name is so that I can address you properly... )

Regarding ken / chokuto - Sensei used the word "ken", I used the word "choku-to" in its literal sense ("choku" = 直 = straight; "to" = 刀 = blade) to clarify that Sensei was referring to a straight blade when he used the word "ken". I didn't mean to get deeper than that. Sorry for the confusion.

Shawn

Posted on: 2010/1/20 12:50

Villager
From Manaus, Brazil
Group:
There is a great article by Alex Mehan that Doug has on his henka blog about this topic. Here´s the link: http://henka.wordpress.com/

The blog topic is Ichi Tachi

Posted on: 2010/1/22 18:27

Active Kutakian
From SLC,Ut
Group:
Papa-San i have the same, 46" overall about 33 1/2 inch blade with 12 1/2 inch handle, i got mine at the MA store in Vegas thats been around forever. nice wait to it too

Posted on: 2010/1/23 4:44

Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
That's a good length Matt, I get mine made from air dried hiickory wood that has been steamed and bent to get the curve. This means the wood grain follows the curve and makes them very strong. The weight is about 2 pounds.

Posted on: 2010/1/23 11:10

Permanent Village Fixture
Group:
It is said that one gave birth to the other through battle experience and the former was a good tool to hack horses on the battlefield.

Posted on: 2010/1/25 11:26
七転び八起き

Deleted_
As others have said tachi can vary quite a lot, but I think anything that is maybe 6 or 7 inches longer than the daito you normally use is a reasonably good rule
of thumb.
Generally if you hold a daito with your arm outstretched to the side, the point should sit reasonably close to your sternum. For a tachi I would say perhaps it should sit closer to your opposite shoulder.

I just had two fukuro which were made by Tim Bathurst in Melbourne (Australia) delivered today. They are very sweet but a little different to the ones Duncan Stewart has mentioned on his blog.

Posted on: 2010/2/9 14:30

Honorary Villager
Group:
Just a quick question to those who have already been to Japan this year.

Has Hatsumi sensei been teaching basics or actual waza with tachi? If soke has stressed the importance of getting a tachi as different types of swords represent different eras in history and thus different technique, then I would hope he is going to start with the basic principles since most of us are pretty new to this particular type of sword.

Thanks!

Posted on: 2010/3/15 4:56

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor