Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Tachi
Village Old Timer
From Dayton, Ohio
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Quote:

art_vandelay wrote:
I would hope he is going to start with the basic principles since most of us are pretty new to this particular type of sword.

In my brief trip to Japan Soke used the Tachi every class. I heard that one of the differences between Tachi and Katana is that Tachi is a one handed weapon. Certainly the way is hangs and is drawn might have changed how he used it techniques but he did not show or have anyone do any "tachi Basics" Soke is not teaching basics at this point in time.

He used the tachi in very unconventional ways, very freely as he does with all weapons. He did say at one point in time that this does not have to be a tachi - it could be done this way with any weapon.

Marty

Posted on: 2010/3/16 9:32

Honorary Villager
Group:
Thanks for the info, Marty.

Makes me wonder though... What kind of theme is it when you don't teach, show or explain anything directly pertaining to the subject? Who am I supposed to learn this stuff from?

Sorry if it sounds like ranting but this kind of stuff is just weird and makes no sense.

Posted on: 2010/3/16 12:06

Cant Stay Offline
From Hamina, Finland
Group:
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Well, as mrdunsky said Hatsumi Sôke did not teach basics... that task is on other shoulders, and those shoulders are spread all around the globe, one only need to go and tap on one....

Posted on: 2010/3/16 15:29
(Bujinkan Budōka since 1985)

Honorary Villager
Group:
Is there anyone who was actually instructed in these sword basics by Hatsumi sensei to the point of being able to fully understand what soke is doing this year with Tachi?

Not trying to be polemic or anything like that. It's just that every shihan that I've ever met has admitted to not having ever received such instruction. So one begins to wonder...

Posted on: 2010/3/17 1:50

Cant Stay Offline
From Hamina, Finland
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Well, having just been to Shihan Cousergue's seminar... there were basic stuff, very basic stuff, I'd say; carrying, drawing, cutting, stabbing, blocking....

Posted on: 2010/3/17 6:51
(Bujinkan Budōka since 1985)

Village Old Timer
Group:
Quote:

Yamazu wrote:
Well, having just been to Shihan Cousergue's seminar... there were basic stuff, very basic stuff, I'd say; carrying, drawing, cutting, stabbing, blocking....

But did he say that these were the basics that Soke or the japanese shihan had taught him?

Posted on: 2010/3/17 12:59

Active Kutakian
From Redmond, Washington
Group:
Arnaud has a menkyo kaiden in Tachi-waza from Soke as of 2004...good enough for me.

Posted on: 2010/3/17 13:30

Honorary Villager
Group:
Last year's topic was vague as well and was reflected in the lack of any substative discussion on this forum. All i got was "study sword" and "try and loop rope around stuff". Didnt exactly get my blood boiling. Something less ephemeral would be nice sometimes.

ps. Good use of "polemic".

Posted on: 2010/3/17 14:06

Honorary Villager
Group:
Ok wait..

Nevermind for a minute that it's Cousergue Shihan. It could be anyone for all I care. Someone in the Bujinkan was granted full mastership in techniques with the tachi by Soke? And nobody finds this weird?

How about a menkyo kaiden in ukemi? or a menkyo kaiden in wearing tabi?

もう決めました。足袋の着方の免許がほしいよ。

Ok silliness aside, I really don't want to start a whole thing here but I really find this kind of thing odd. Tachi Waza is something so abstract, how can one be given menkyo kaiden? It's like me getting a driver's license limited to "making left turns".

But back to the techniques....
Unless he is training with soke in private, I assume he was shown the same things his group was shown (along with the other groups that were there) every time they visited Japan. Let us assume he ISN'T getting private one-on-one training with soke. Where does this knowledge come from?

Posted on: 2010/3/17 14:27

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor