Re: Tachi
Village Old Timer
Group:
村民 :: Villager
議長 :: Mod
Quote:

jgaunttWA wrote:
Whatever....

Speaking for myself, I'm flying to Noda with a tachi. Time to learn from the Boss and whoever else is teaching. Its a bizarre approach I know.

Have fun at the airport with your tachi.

Posted on: 2010/3/18 16:54
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Village Old Timer
From Dayton, Ohio
Group:
This weekend our dojo hosted Craig Olsen, fresh from the Canada Taikai. As always, he was enlightening in many ways. It was a very hot weekend and he kept the movement light by doing a lot of Tachi work he has seen this year in Japan. There were many things he noted about how the tachi was used that gave us a much better idea how it is used differently than the katana. When I asked where he got this information from, he said it was only a string of comments made by Soke over the year.

My favorite point of realization was when he would show how the same movement is done without the tachi. This is the point so often missed when weapons are discussed, that it doesn't matter what the weapon is...it is all taijutsu.

You can get a really big ball if you collect enough strings!

Marty

Posted on: 2010/6/2 6:21

Permanent Village Fixture
Group:
art vandely wrote
Ok wait..  Nevermind for a minute that it's Cousergue Shihan. It could be anyone for all I care. Someone in the Bujinkan was granted full mastership in techniques with the tachi by Soke? And nobody finds this weird?  How about a menkyo kaiden in ukemi? or a menkyo kaiden in wearing tabi?  

もう決めました。足袋の着方の免許がほしいよ。  

Ok silliness aside, I really don'
t want to start a whole thing here but I really find this kind of thing oddTachi Waza is something so abstract, how can one be given menkyo kaidenIt's like me getting a driver's license limited to "making left turns".  But back to the techniques.... Unless he is training with soke in private, I assume he was shown the same things his group was shown (along with the other groups that were thereevery time they visited JapanLet us assume he ISN'T getting private one-on-one training with soke. Where does this knowledge come from?

This is one of the best posts this year.

I like your Taijutsu sir!

Posted on: 2010/6/2 18:27

Village Old Timer
Group:
議長 :: Mod
I'm not really sure getting a menkyo Kaiden in tachi waza is weird or not. There are many people in other arts that have menkyo kaiden in just iaido, Jo, and kenjutsu seperately and that doesn't strike me as weird at all.

As far as ability of anyone with a menkyo kaiden, bujinkan or not, is not really up to me. I can't give out menkyo kaiden. I can only judge things as to being good for me or bad for me. And when asked for my opinion I can only give them the best informed possible one, given what is available to me.

People have to make decisions for themselves in the end, regardless of who gives their advice and how well of a judge that person may or may not be.

We did a bit of tachi last night and all I got out of Hatsumi sensei's class was controlling the lines and angles and some interesting use of gripping the sword without gripping the sword. And, other little bits and pieces.

Posted on: 2010/6/2 20:09

Honorary Villager
Group:
Jwills79: Glad you could catch the humor in that :)

RJHIII: I agree that you can get a menkyo in just one branch of a complete ryuha. Especially that after Edo, what is left of many warrior traditions is only one or two areas of expertise.

I'm pretty sure Takamatsu sensei himself probably gave out some menkyo in Kukishinden Ryu Bojutsu (I say probably because I think it's likely but because have no access to any records of any of this so I can't say for a FACT that he did) but I'm sure those people were given complete & thorough instruction directly by Takamatsu himself over an extended period of time.

Nothing against Cousergue shihan (I never even saw him in person) or anyone else for that matter... I just find the thought of a Menkyo Kaiden in "tachi waza" with no ryuha specified, no written documents to accompany said Menkyo and no confirmed one on one transmission of any of this... well it's a little odd, isn't it? Honestly, I'm not sure how I'd feel receiving something like that.

By the way, thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience at hombu the other night. Maybe that can lead to constructive discussion. I find that everyone mainly gets bits and pieces from Soke's classes... which is what you go there for anyway. It's also cool that everyone gets different bits and pieces...but at the same time it's a little scary cause that is what happened with masters like Takeda and Ueshiba and look at Daito and Aikido nowadays... many of their students and students' students became great masters in their own right but the art in all it's beauty seems to have died with the founders.

Posted on: 2010/6/3 14:44

Active Kutakian
From SLC,Ut
Group:
-this is me assuming- wouldnt the license of tachi-waza most likely come from Kukishin(den)-ryu? =]. redardless of the wierdness or not. just from knowing what we do of the school and use of weapons and armor/.

Posted on: 2010/6/4 7:22

Honorary Villager
Group:
It might... it could... but does it?
As far as I know it's just plain "tachi waza" but I could be wrong...

Of course Hatsumi Sensei is the Soke and he can do whatever he wants, including whatever license he feels like giving to whomever he feels like giving it to so there isn't much to discuss, really. I just find it weird and pointless...and it probably is pointless IMO. As is discussing someone else's menkyo. :)

What I do think is interesting and worthy of discussion is this year's theme being Tachi and Soke not really explaining very much about it other than doing the usual things only while holding a Tachi.

Posted on: 2010/6/4 13:20

Permanent Village Fixture
Group:
A good question to ask "Is there Tachi waza in Kukishin Ryu?" There might be in SFR. The answer to that question might surprise you and it might also create even more questions. Possibly related to what is Hatsumi teaching and Arnaud's generic Menkyo Kaiden. The material may not be related to the Traditional schools at all. Which is why the Shihan are sometimes as confused by some of it as the those visiting.

Some of the Japanese Shihan do have Menkyo and was privately taught by Hatsumi in that particular area. Some were mentioned in this thread. Guess who?

Ukemi? Tabi wearing?

Don't forget Menkyo for receiving classes fees. "Has everyone paid?"

Good luck

Posted on: 2010/6/5 16:56

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor