Group:
村民 :: Villager

Posted on: 2010/1/12 12:08

Re: Black Belt 1966 / 67
Village Old Timer
From Dayton, Ohio
Group:
Who is Andy Adams? Did or does he train with the bujinkan? It is not a name I am familar with.

Marty

Posted on: 2010/1/12 15:22
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Active Kutakian
Group:
Quote:

mrdunsky wrote:
Who is Andy Adams? Did or does he train with the bujinkan? It is not a name I am familar with.

Marty

He was just a freelance journalist. Looking through old Black Belt it seems he was a major contributor back then. Even when I was living in Japan in the first half of the ‘90s he was still reporting on sumo.

I am quite interested in the timeline of the early Bujinkan and the first foreign students.

Going by my research the first person to have been involved would have been Charles Gruzanski in the late 1950’s early 1960’s. Both Gruzanski and soke were students of Yumio Nawa-sensei prior to Hatsumi-sensei training with Takamatsu-sensei. It seems their friendship and shared interest in Ninjutsu extended to Hatsumi-sensei opening his own school although I don’t know if Mr Gruzanski ever trained with Hatsumi-sensei.

In May 1961 an article “The Art of Invisibility” was published in Argosy magazine. I received a copy from Charles Gruzanski’s son. It was “photographed by” Ray Falk – I’m not sure if he also wrote the article, if Mr Gruzanski wrote it or it was done by a staff writer. Some of the photo’s were reproduced for the book “Spike and Chain”

In the article it says Hatsumi-sensei has about twelve students and teaches twice a week.

Doron Navon is supposed to have started around 1963. He was one of the first resident students at the Kodokan. I’m not sure if he was first or Terry Dobson was but I believe they both were training about this time.

In 1966 Danny Waxman and Quintin Chambers started training. Hatsumi-sensei told me Quintin Chambers was his only ever uchi-deshi (although Mr Chambers says he wasn’t living at soke’s house but would stay there the night after training and catch the early train to Tokyo in the morning). He trained for about seven years before returning to Hawaii.

From my understanding the budoka ex-pat community was quite strong then. Donn Dreager, Doron Navon, Danny Waxman, Quintin Chambers plus guys like Arthur Tansley and Andrew Adams all knew each other very well.

I think the interest from martial arts journalists, researchers and photographers such as Donn Dreager, Andrew Adams and Arthur Tansley in 1966 plus a couple of new foreign students starting reflects this.

Posted on: 2010/1/12 22:55

Villager
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Andrew Adams was a journalist that specialized on reporting about Japanese MA.

He penned many articles back in the early years of Black Belt magazine and others.

Although I had seen articles about ninjutsu in magazines, his book "Ninja"invisable assasins" was the first book on ninjutsu I ever owned. I read it around 1974-75 and thought to myself, "maybe one day i will be lucky enough to train in that art and meet Hatsumi sensei"...sometimes life brings you down paths you can only imagine as a child...LOL

Doug Tweedy
Bujinkan Shima Dojo

Posted on: 2010/1/14 6:18

Village Old Timer
From San Francisco, California, USA
Group:
Near the end of the '60s I was living in Colorado and a friend and I were training in Tae Kwon Do. One day my friend told me excitedly about something by Adams he'd read mentioning Hatsumi sensei and ninjutsu. He swore that someday he was going to go to Japan and train under Hatsumi sensei, while I was essentially dismissive of the whole thing.

Oddly, my friend never did it, but I did.

Posted on: 2010/1/14 8:26

Villager
From Maryland, USA
Group:
Gentlemen,

Thank you for sharing! Brings back some great memories of scrambling in the mid 80's to find the "old books." It is interesting how many times the same photographs have been used in many books and articles over the years. I bet that would an interesting story!

Can we still purchase photographs found in Togakure Ryu Ninpo Taijutsu, as well as in many other of the older books?

Regards,

Lee

Posted on: 2010/1/16 0:19

For every one hundred shots, one hundred hits!

Proverb for wishing one ultimate success.

Lee Relf

Hehehe...
Permanent Village Fixture
From Dallas, TX
Group:
Mr. Doron Navon (the awesome one) moved to Japan to start training in Ko'do'kan Ju'do' in 1966... He didn't start training with Hatsumi Sensei until 1968... He trained for 6 years with Hatsumi Sensei before returning to Isreal in 1974.

From what I understand, Andrew Adams is a journalist, and not a martial artist... Don't have the book with me right now... What does his bio say from that book? Anyone?

Posted on: 2010/11/30 19:00

Villager
From Abbotsford, BC Canada
Group:
Wow! December '66. Co-incided with my birth.....

Hmmm!

Posted on: 2010/12/1 6:48

Villager
From Dingle, Co Kerry
Group:
Interesting, the influence that Adams' book had ... http://www.budotaijutsu.com/senseinagato.html

Posted on: 2010/12/1 19:56

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor