Recent Topics

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Self-Training Accountability?
Active Kutakian
From South Carolina
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Estevan, have you read anything about the Zone eating plan? Might want to give it a look. ( http://www.zonediet.com/ ) Skip the "buy this from us" parts and read about the protein/fat/carb balance. If you read any of Dr Sears' books you'll see the wisdom and advantages of what he saying. The best part is that it's not a diet that weakens or unbalances you.

Yeah, though, hitting the gym was fun. I'm not nearly as sore as I expected.

Leam

Posted on: 2010/2/11 3:54

Honorary Villager
From South Texas
Group:
I'll check that out... I usually read Men's Health for that kind info...

As for myself, my theory, based on my on researching and tips form other people who know these types of things is to always make it a point to burn off more than I take in. I.E, off the bat, I drank 2 sodas today, so If I burn at least 300 calories between warm up and cardio, I feel like I'm makin progress. Especially since I would be burning WAAY more than that wile hitting the weights.
Also, the bigger your muscles are, the more fat you'll burn automatically, so my deal is that if I do less reps with more weight and concentrate mostly on the larger muscle groups, I'll burn fat faster.

Watchin what you eat is also a big thing. Currently I try not to take in too much sugar like candies and sodas and what not. Beleive it or not, if you ditch it for like a month or two, you can really feel the effects that it has on your body. Like for me, in my family, all the men gain weight in the lower gut. When I drink sodas and eat candies I can almost feel all of the unused sugar go striaght there. Or its just in my mind... Either way, It keeps me from taking in a whole lot. I used to drink sodas all day everyday, but now its like one or two. Candy I try to keep as far away as possible.

Then the other half of the battle is just the will to succeed (Sp?). I drive to the gym, usually right after work...

Then I just unleash the beast. Gotta put on the right music to get me hyped, get my game face on, and keep my eye's on the prize! Plus, there be some FINE lookin ladies at the gym... whoo buddy!! What better motivation! Gotta get my swoll on, the only six pack they wanna see is a six pack of abs!! Gotta get to it!!

I'm gettin hyped just thinkin bout it!! I can't wait to get outta here and head to the gym!!

Right now I am not as concerned with the results as I am with the consistency. First I gotta make it a habit, then it'll take care of itself... What do you think?

*sorry for such a long post.... got carried away...*

Posted on: 2010/2/11 5:42

El vivir es dormir, El morir es despertar....
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Active Kutakian
From South Carolina
Group:
Estevan,

You're right, large belly fat is bad. Not only does it slow you down but it's the leading tell-tale for heart problems. Sadly, I'm "well rounded" in that area. While I work on making my gut smaller I take advantage of my weight when working techniques. ;)

The Zone diet teaches a balanced intake between fat, carbs, and protein. Getting soda and candy out of your diet is a great start! Making your carbs green vegetables, fresh fruit, and that sort of thing actually makes it hard for you to eat too much! That was where my sandwich comment came from. You should add a salad if you can or at least a can of green beans to go with the sandwich. Your body will think you for it in many ways. ;)

For the record, long posts are fine. I enjoy hearing what others think and it sounds like you're really working hard at improving.

Leam

Posted on: 2010/2/11 10:49

Honorary Villager
From South Texas
Group:
yea, when I first started to hit the gym, all I ate was beef, chicken and mushrooms, broccoli and zuchini (sp?), along with plenty of avocado (man, i love me some avocado, especially guacamole) and corn tortillas.... but man, it gets expensive! Plus I started eatin more! Then, like 2 wks ago, the belt got tighter, and not the i lost wieght kind of tight. So for the moment I'm low on the cash flow, but I'ma be comin back up in a week or two, then I get my steak and veggies on again, with avocado... Oh man, I love avocado... Is that bad?

So I hit the gym really hard today for a good leg work out... I ate good, but now I'm hungry again :(

Oh the temptation!!

Posted on: 2010/2/11 13:02

Kutaki Postmaster
Group:
At the moment my main health goal is to get eight hours sleep (rather than four to six which was my usual) and eat better. So I am trying to sleep by 11pm and to rise at 7am.

Monday
Morning - Squat and alternate between bench press and overhead press. 3 working sets of 5 for all
Evening - Judo

Tuesday
Morning – Atemi no Tanren
Evening – BJJ

Wednesday
Morning – Deadlift (1 working set of 5) and alternate between bench press and overhead press (3 working sets of 5).
Evening – Judo

Thursday
Morning – Atemi no Tanren
Evening – Budo Taijutsu at my school

Friday
Morning - Squat and alternate between bench press and overhead press. 3 working sets of 5 for all
Evening – BJJ and/or Judo

Saturday
Morning – Run or swim
Midday – BJJ

Posted on: 2010/2/11 14:33

Active Kutakian
From South Carolina
Group:
Quote:
estevato58 wrote:

Oh man, I love avocado... Is that bad?

So I hit the gym really hard today for a good leg work out... I ate good, but now I'm hungry again :( !

Nothing wrong with a little avacado. Just keep in mind, it has stuff that you need to account for. Here's some of what I understand from the Zone.

1. Eat something with a little fat within an hour of waking up and right before bed.
2. Most of your carbs should come from fresh leafy green vegetables.
3. 3-4 ounces of meat per meal, and roughly 1 cup of veggies per ounce of meat. Sub 1/2 apple for a cup of vegetable.
4. Eath three regular meals per day, and two snacks that are roughly 1/3 of a meal. This means you're never more than a few hours from eating.
5. Avoid starches like corn (chips) and most pasta or wheat products. They are carbs but don't do you as good.

The good thing about the zone is that if you unbalance on a meal you can get back in at the next one. Trust me, I understand the cash flow issue. We're there ourselves and eating right is not cheap.

Leam

Posted on: 2010/2/11 18:58

Active Kutakian
From South Carolina
Group:
Quote:

Zenigata wrote:
At the moment my main health goal is to get eight hours sleep (rather than four to six which was my usual) and eat better. So I am trying to sleep by 11pm and to rise at 7am.

Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday

Duncan,

Sleep is a great goal! With your schedule I'm betting your body could really use the rebuild time. That's a powerfully packed schedule! With as much as you have going on, diet is a big factor. Your body will run a lot better if the chemical balance and proper food intake is maintained.

Here's an article with some critique.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zone_diet

Leam

Posted on: 2010/2/11 19:16

Active Kutakian
From South Carolina
Group:
Planned on today being light at the gym, but Estevan's encouragement pushed me on! I added 20 pounds for 2 sets of 5 on bench press and 40 pounds for 1 set of 5 on deadlift. That completes my 3x for work out but I'm still 2 of 3 short on taijutsu workout. Will try and get some sanshin in tonight, after my son's BMX practice.

Leam

Posted on: 2010/2/12 7:20

Honorary Villager
From South Texas
Group:
Hell yea!! Good Shot!!

Man, I hit it so hard yesterday, I ended up working out an extra 20 min. I did regular bench, then i did incline, but it was too much about halfway through my second set... Man, I felt like crap, my bench and incline were always the same, if incline wasn't more... So I made up for it by doing 3 sets of incline with dumbells instead. Not too happy...
Then I did rows and wide grip lat pulldowns and MAN!! My back feels great today! You know how you get that soreness that hurts like hell but feels sooo good you cant help but mess with it? Oh yea...
Then I did some chest press and overhead press and by then I was worn out. I overkilled it with some light curls but I had trouble again through tthe second set so I hopped on the treadmill for cardio...
My legs are still real sore from the day before.

Man I feel Great!!

Oh yeah, I also had a salad with my sandwiches during lunch, but for some reason it made me hungrier. Then after working out I was so hungry I almost ate my shirt.... It felt good though, at least I know I burned more calories than I took in yeaterday...

Keep it up!!

Posted on: 2010/2/13 1:30

Active Kutakian
From South Carolina
Group:
Quote:
Leam wrote:

My goal this week is to do CrossFit three times and Sanshin three times.

Three days in the gym, one one and a half real taijutsu practices. I'm struggling with getting my thinking cap engaged in practice. The easy part is to find ideas to train on, then I stumble balancing what I can train and with the time left over from family and work.

The funny part is you often hear the suggestion "turn off the television" to get more time. Ours got turned off and taken to the church youth group years ago. I still don't have the right balance of time for training and time for everything else.

I'm also dealing with the "I used to be able to" syndrome. Long ago I was up and coming in my taijutsu, now I'm as gangly and uncoordinated as a first day student. My body sense is no where near my minds ability to understand the material. That gap is frustrating.

So this week it's twice at the gym and three times of basic movement practice. This upcoming weekend is a sports even for my son so Saturday is out as a training day, I think.

Leam

Posted on: 2010/2/15 20:40

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor