Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Socialize

Recent Topics

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Kotō Ryū Kata Kanji and Translation Request Take 2 (this time without the flames and BS)
Village Old Timer
Group:
村民 :: Villager
議長 :: Mod
Here's what I would do. Well actually, here's what I do (not with soke's book though, too many mistakes)

kata name, get out my huge fat kanji dictionary, look up the radical, look up the kanji, find the reading and the meaning.

Open up my word document, using my japanese language pack, use the option to draw the kanji myself and then choose the proper one placing it on the word document. adjust size, font, color accordingly.

Repeat for second kanji (there's usually only 2)

As to the text for soke's book, if I were to copy it electronically (which I have no need to do) I would just type it into the word document.

Posted on: 2010/2/15 12:43
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Kotō Ryū Kata Kanji and Translation Request Take 2 (this time without the flames and BS)
Active Kutakian
From Round Rock, Texas
Group:
Thanks, benkyok. I'll look into that. I might have to upgrade some software but in the log run it might be worth it. You post got me thinking about optical character readers. I suppose that would also need a Japanese language pack.

Posted on: 2010/2/15 13:12

Active Kutakian
From Round Rock, Texas
Group:
I just want to say a quick thank you to the person who privately e-mailed me almost all of the kanji for the Koto Ryu kata. Thank you so, so, so much! I really appreciate this. You've just saved me weeks of work. Again, thanks.

Posted on: 2010/2/15 13:27

Honorary Villager
From New Jersey, USA
Group:

John, I commend you for your interest in expanding your knowledge of the Bujinkan ryuuha. The responses that Duncan and Alex gave were very useful. I think those should have given you a good basis for your research. 

I went through a similar exercise in the mid 90s. Taking the notes that I had from various seminars I had attended over the years, some printed notes that I received from other teachers and Soke's videos (there were only a few at that point) I manually input all the kanji into a Japanese word processing application (MS Word didn't easily support Japanese input in the US versions back then!) and used this as the start of my research. I learned a few things from doing this:

• Each source will be slightly different. Good luck trying to figure out what the "real" kanji are! 

• As Duncan mentioned, many of the kanji used in the kata names are not easily found because they're not used very frequently in modern Japanese. There are some that don't appear in the standard Japanese IME that comes with Windows and don't appear in WWWJDIC, etc. You'll have to be really creative to find those.

• Step back to see the bigger picture. Maybe you won't run into this problem since you say you have a decent grasp of the language, but I noticed when I broke each kata name down into single-kanji bits I often missed the fact that the kanji combination was actually a word. I didn't realize these things until after I had two years of college level Japanese and went back through my notes to fix some mistakes.

• If you ask around, there are others who have done this before you. If you make an effort to get to know them, they'll probably share what they've learned. But don't take their work as "gospel" - check it over and use it as a basis for your own research.

Once you're done with your "translation", you'll probably have a bunch of names that don't have much "meaning". If I remember correctly, most of the Kotou ryuu kata have names like "hit and knock down" or "strike and fly" as their literal translations. At least for me, these weren't a lot of help in my day-to-day training. In the end, I felt some satisfaction and my knowledge of kanji was better and I had made a few friends, but I still wasn't very good at Budou Taijutsu!

Today we have Soke's latest book as a place to begin our research, but there are inconsistencies in that book, too! Good luck!

Posted on: 2010/2/15 22:37

Frequent Visitor
From UK
Group:
Without any comment as to whether this is a good idea or the accuracy, this might be of use to the original poster:

http://bujinshugyo.wordpress.com/

Posted on: 2010/2/15 22:47

Active Kutakian
From Round Rock, Texas
Group:
Don and Warren, thanks for you sugggestions. I will look into them. Again, thanks.

Posted on: 2010/2/16 0:18

Villager
From San Salvador, El Salvador
Group:
Wow this is very interesting. IMHO I agree with wanting to be better in what you know, E.G. I didn't know that the "o" in "to" in "Koto" was a long one and needed the marking on top of it. I agree that you shouldn't teach what you don't know but I also agree that you should teach accuretly what you do know. Grasping the feeling is more important than knowing 1000 techniques but I don't see anything wrong in correct grammar or ethimology of the kanji.

Oh, one thing about "leaking" and stuff... just remember that a lot of shihan and shidoshi have left the Bujinkan and they may be a bigger threat of "leaking" than a legitimate Bujinkan member. Just as a thought.

Posted on: 2010/2/22 2:00

Permanent Village Fixture
Group:
John, I will be covering Koto Ryu at the Canadian Taika in May..... If you are able to atten I might be able to help....

Posted on: 2010/2/22 12:12
七転び八起き

Honorary Villager
Group:
http://bujinshugyo.wordpress.com/

Hey that's a pretty cool blog. Lots of arcane Kanji and whatnot.
I was gonna suggest http://jinenkanhonbu.blogspot.com/
for excruciating detail about Kata, but the other one has it beat. Anybody know any other sites like these?

Posted on: 2010/3/2 9:53

Just Passing Through
From Austin, Texas
Group:
I have known the shihan in my area for years (some over a decade). Overtime I have been able to discern what knowledge they are able to provide (and in a reasonable time frame) and what they are not. Believe me, If I thought that they were going to be able to readily provide the information, I would be taking the question to them and not here.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Though I'm not a shihan I just have to ask....how do you know what I do and do not have in my notes? You are making everyone in Texas look kind of dumb here buddy and I take some offense to that. Kind of putting yourself on a pedestal here ain't ya?? There is a shihan in south Texas who has the biggest library I ever seen. I have been in the art over 18 years and have accumulated quite a bit. I remember many years ago when you were interested in becoming my student and wanted a whole copy of my student handbook, I gave you the first two sections, told you it would take a year or even two before I put you up for ni-dan, and never saw you again.....
If you want to know how everyone knows how much time you spent training as opposed to site seeing just ask those you went with....that's the grapevine I heard it through.

I may not have what you asked for but you didn't bother asking either....my library might just surprise you.

Posted on: 2010/10/14 6:55

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor