Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic  Topic is Locked

Ralph Severe's rank claims
Just Passing Through
From Madrid
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Hi all,

It's Rafael from Bullshido here.

I have a question on a supposedly high-ranking former member of your organization:

Ralph Severe, founder of the "Art of Combat" system, claims to be an "Eight Level (hachidan, 1992) black belt in authentic Japanese Ninpo Taijutsu" and "an Ninth Level (kudan, 2002) black belt in authentic Japanese Budo Taijutsu".

(Here on his website: http://www.artofcombat.com/instructors.htm)

Now, since Mr Severe is strongly suspected to have inflated his resume, I want to ask if there is some way to check if his ranks in Ninjutsu are real or also just an empty claim.

I should stress that this is not about the validity of Ninjutsu in general, and that I am in no way biased towards BBT.

I see this as an opportunity to make our common sport more transparent and more credible.

I hope you can help me out!

Rafe

Posted on: 2010/3/4 23:01
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Ralph Severe's rank claims
Just Passing Through
From Madrid
Group:
for transparency's sake, this is one part of the discussion on BUllshido:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=54062

Posted on: 2010/3/4 23:05

Kutaki Postmaster
Group:
Rank was given in “Ninpo Taijutsu” until 1995 when Hatsumi-sensei changed the name of the art to “Budo Taijutsu”.

There are fifteen dan (lit. levels) in Bujinkan Dojo Budo Taijutsu representing the 15 years Hatsumi-sensei trained with Takamatsu-sensei. Any reasonable person should be able to pass through all the levels within 20 to 30 years of training. The system is based on the menkyo system that preceded it and the dan ranks in the Bujinkan are different than those of other budo and kakutogi such as judo, kendo, karate etc. To obtain fifteenth dan isn’t to have obtained mastery but to have been training long enough to have the potential for mastery.

Therefore in context ninth dan isn’t that high a rank.

I don’t actually know what Ralph’s rank is. If you live in Madrid why should you care?

The thread you linked to is about 140-something pages long, there must be some better use of your time.

Posted on: 2010/3/5 8:53

Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Thanks Duncan for explaining this to those outside our system. I will make one comment on Ralph Severe, I've known him for 19 years and he is still the idiot I first met. I've learned from experience to not trust ANYTHING he says.

Posted on: 2010/3/5 11:22

Kutaki Postmaster
Group:
Just falling in line with previous judgements on content on kutaki … should threads like this that are just created to question or attack a person not be removed or at least locked?

The person in question isn’t a member of the Bujinkan any longer and if a person needs to question their previous rank surely this can be done by contacting that person directly?

Posted on: 2010/3/5 15:08

Village Old Timer
Group:
議長 :: Mod
Quote:

Papa-san wrote:
Thanks Duncan for explaining this to those outside our system. I will make one comment on Ralph Severe, I've known him for 19 years and he is still the idiot I first met. I've learned from experience to not trust ANYTHING he says.

Are we going to go through this again? Ralph's a big boy. He can answer his own critics. As he isn't in the bujinkan any longer he won't have many people to defend him here, which likely means that those who intensely dislike him will bother posting. Rather lopsided.

Posted on: 2010/3/5 15:31

Topic is Locked

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor