Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Starting a new trail in my journey.
Village Old Timer
From Dayton, Ohio
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Hi Folks,

I am in the process of starting a new portion of my martial journey. After 2 days of training my Japan trip, I fell on the steps at the Kashiwa train station. I underwent a valgus stress to my right knee and it made a loud pop, drown out only by my cursing! I spent the rest of the trip walking very slowly and watching training by orthers. It was interesting to watch training, but emotionally draining.

I am getting ready to see my orthopedic doctors to find out what the level of injury is. I think some portion of the quadricept muscle and or joint capsule are torn because the knee cap slides off laterally when the knee is bent.

Once the diagnosis is made I need to get treatment and then start the rehab! I plan to return to Japan in December for Daikomyosai with my son and some guests for training.

I thought it might be interesting to see how recovery effects training, and visa versa! Part of my recovery is to find a way to make this stupid injury into a positive part of my life. Time spent being pissed off is not useful - I found that out last night when my flights home were cancelled at Newark!

Perhaps I would usually put this on a face book page, or a blog. If you know me, you will know that I do not do that. I do not want sympathy or even electronic "get well quick" cards. People have been very kind to me since my injury and I appreciate it. I hope this will help others with an injury, or force me to come through with my recovery work!

We will see how it goes!

Marty

Posted on: 2010/3/16 0:12
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Starting a new trail in my journey.
Villager
From Germany
Group:
keeping my fingers crossed for you

Quote:

mrdunsky wrote:
Hi Folks,

I am in the process of starting a new portion of my martial journey. After 2 days of training my Japan trip, I fell on the steps at the Kashiwa train station. I underwent a valgus stress to my right knee and it made a loud pop, drown out only by my cursing! I spent the rest of the trip walking very slowly and watching training by orthers. It was interesting to watch training, but emotionally draining.

I am getting ready to see my orthopedic doctors to find out what the level of injury is. I think some portion of the quadricept muscle and or joint capsule are torn because the knee cap slides off laterally when the knee is bent.

Once the diagnosis is made I need to get treatment and then start the rehab! I plan to return to Japan in December for Daikomyosai with my son and some guests for training.

I thought it might be interesting to see how recovery effects training, and visa versa! Part of my recovery is to find a way to make this stupid injury into a positive part of my life. Time spent being pissed off is not useful - I found that out last night when my flights home were cancelled at Newark!

Perhaps I would usually put this on a face book page, or a blog. If you know me, you will know that I do not do that. I do not want sympathy or even electronic "get well quick" cards. People have been very kind to me since my injury and I appreciate it. I hope this will help others with an injury, or force me to come through with my recovery work!

We will see how it goes!

Marty

Posted on: 2010/3/16 18:11

Village Old Timer
Group:
議長 :: Mod
Keep us posted, and heal up nicely.

Posted on: 2010/3/16 18:19

Permanent Village Fixture
From No. Cal., USA
Group:
Mr. Dunsky,
I wish you the best of luck!

Posted on: 2010/3/17 3:09

Village Old Timer
From Dayton, Ohio
Group:
Thanks everyone.

The discovery is in and as I suspected, I nearly completely ruptured my quadricep muscle and medial retinaculum (joint capsule). I will have surgery on Thursday. I will not be able to bend my knee for several months and then not have much strength in the leg for many months.

Patience will be the hardest part, as I will have to find some way to train in the mean time. I don't know how to do taijutsu without bending your knees. We shall see.

Marty

Posted on: 2010/3/17 3:42

Active Kutakian
From Redmond, Washington
Group:
As I recall, Larry Jonsson (one of the original European BJK practitioners, Sweden Taikai 98) once had a bad back injury which restricted traditional taijutsu movement for a long time. He compensated very nicely in the sense that I now know what an aluminum can feels like when it's crushed straight down. Obviously, backs and knees create different kinetic trade-offs but I can't imagine that the mind set is dramatically different. You might contact him as he can probably offer more than "best wishes" advice.

Also, with Peter King being an licensed osteopath and a shihan, you can describe injury, movement and goals in fluent taijutsu and medical terminology. Happy to PM some contacts if you're interested.

Posted on: 2010/3/17 4:00

Cant Stay Offline
From Hamina, Finland
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Quote:

mrdunsky wrote:

Patience will be the hardest part, as I will have to find some way to train in the mean time. I don't know how to do taijutsu without bending your knees. We shall see.

It's good time to concentrate on other training related things than physical doing, important is to keep oneself at it neverthelessy (having been more than less bedridden by a back condition for two months back in the day).

Gambatte kudasai!

Posted on: 2010/3/17 16:38
(Bujinkan Budōka since 1985)

Village Old Timer
From Dayton, Ohio
Group:
I see a lot of shizen in my future!

Marty

Posted on: 2010/3/17 23:16

Honorary Villager
From Kent, England
Group:
Hi Marty,

Sorry to hear you suffered an injury, had a friends student dislocate his toe at Seno Sensei's class last year. He had to spend nearly half a week just watching the classes, so I know how frustrated you must have felt.

I second John's comments re Peter King. I train with him each week, so if you want to contact him for advice feel free to let me know and i can pass on his contact details.

Dave.

Posted on: 2010/3/22 7:27

Cant Stay Offline
From Hamina, Finland
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Quote:

uncleninj wrote:

Sorry to hear you suffered an injury, had a friends student dislocate his toe at Seno Sensei's class last year. He had to spend nearly half a week just watching the classes, so I know how frustrated you must have felt.

Sprained my left big toe at Honbu a coupöle of years ago. It made an interwesting training for the rest of the trip as I could not stand normally, nor take a step normally. All attacks had to be adjusted on the fly, coming up from Kaiten required modification, evading other peoples feet at the crowded Dôjô...

It was good training.

Unfortunately toe is a way less a deal comparef to a knee.

Posted on: 2010/3/22 15:47
(Bujinkan Budōka since 1985)

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor