Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Starting a new trail in my journey.
Village Old Timer
From Dayton, Ohio
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Thanks all for your suggestions.

I had the surgery last friday and I have a few weeks where I have to rest just to let the sutures and tendons heal. To let the cement set if you will. I have been going over my notes from Japan. It seems that every time I go I see a small thing that makes me feel I was missing something right in front of my face all along! When I first came to Japan I was struck by how differently each of the shihan and Soke moved. They seemed to all have their "style"
This year I was struck by how similarly everyone moved. Each with their different flair managed to maintain their distance as they moved the Uke's structure off center and fit into the spaces created.

As I rest the next few weeks I am going to watch some of the Hikan Densho DVDs to see if I can pick up on this better and more clearly define it in my own mind.

Forced into training without training!

Marty

Posted on: 2010/3/25 5:51

Village Old Timer
Group:
議長 :: Mod
Sounds good, heal up rest. Last week or two weeks ago, I can't remember when... Hatsumi Sensei mentioned something on the lines that one should watch his videos for 30 minutes a day for inspiration or something other.

I really wish I would listen better sometimes, but then I might forget what he did movement wise if I did...

Keep us informed.
I'm really interested in this... We all might have to go through something similar someday. I would be nice to have a basic road map to follow or at least provide us with sign posts.

Gambatte!

Posted on: 2010/3/26 15:20

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Village Old Timer
From Dayton, Ohio
Group:
It has been a little while since I updated folks but little has changed since the initial post op time. Until today's Physical Therapy session. I have progressed faster than the usual schedule for my type of surgery and I am being allowed to move up to the active motion portion of therapy a week early.

Initially after surgery it takes about 6-8 weeks for the tendon to heal in- much like a broken bone has to form callous and scar down. My swelling and motion have returned faster than scheduled and I am being advanced.

This raises several questions.

1) is this just an example of "Low expectations" for the general public? Or the very poor shape of the average 50 year old?

2) Did I progress faster because of our heavy use of lower body strength in Bujinkan training. I am certain my hip range of motion was far greater than the average joe because of stretching for training. Even in an overweight person like me is better off for the training I have done.

I am not bragging when I say that I believe it is more of #2 than #1. I found that because of all of the hits and little injuries over the years changed my attitude to the pain I felt at the time of the injury and post op. The pain was never as intense as much of the discomfort we give ourselves during training. Also the pain had a logical purpose. Initially it was just in response to the trauma of the muscle tear, and then post op it was healing inflammatory pain which had a cause. I stopped taking any narcotic pain medication 2 days after surgery mostly because it was too sedating and I wanted to wait at least 48 hours before taking any anti-inflammatory medications to decrease local bleeding. Even now I only take the OTC anti-inflammatory meds if I have "over done it" for the day.

I feel the combination of having a better understanding of what it means to be in pain, a strong desire and motivation for recovery, and slightly greater than average initial mobility all helped to speed my recovery.

Now I am starting to use the muscle to increase greatly reduced strength and always to increase mobility. I think I will need to use some of my attitude toward pain in the future. Maybe I spoke too soon!

Marty

Posted on: 2010/4/14 8:37

Village Old Timer
Group:
It's hard to tell why you are healing quicker than most... But, it isn't an uncommon trait amongst the bujinkan . I'm guessing it may have something to do with your overall attitude towards your surgery.

You have a positive attitude about your injury that most don't. It might not have anything to with your healing, but it definitely doesn't hurt it.

But, you might just have enough pounding to allow your tendons to repair quicker. Kind of like the way we build endurance, your body might just have built or turned on mechanisms to aid your quick recovery.

It could also be that a lot of people are pulling for you to recover quickly as well and support your journey.

Who knows...

I just think its a great thing that you are healing as fast as you are.
Something is going right, so please keep it going, whatever it is. :)

Posted on: 2010/4/14 15:33

Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
I'm very happy for you Marti! One thing that is rarely understood is just how much the positive energy from our thoughts aid in creating a positive reality in our lives. All the things you mentioned are aids in this, but at the same time they came about because of positive choices you have made. We GET the results of those choices. You are probably aware of the things I've had to have done with hips and heart and I will affirm the great value of others sending good thoughts/energy/prayer for one's recovery! That adds to your own and is a creator for you. This is an area we use in our art and needs to be more widely understood and used. I do think Sensei uses this all the time.

Posted on: 2010/4/14 21:39

Village Old Timer
From Dayton, Ohio
Group:
Yes, positive thoughts from my family and friends and the desire to rejoin the training are powerful forces not to be forgotten. Thanks

Marty

Posted on: 2010/4/15 0:55

Village Old Timer
From Dayton, Ohio
Group:
Last night I made a tentative return to training in taijutsu. Because my right leg is still very weak when flexed, I have to do more of a nagare then roll into upright position again. I'm sure with time it will improve but it was a little anticlimactic for me because I thought I would be able to move better. The good thing was that old muscles were sore this morning, not just on the injured side. They were really out of tune!

Time, patience, and desire to be better will get me through this!

Marty

Posted on: 2010/5/28 0:36

Village Old Timer
Group:
I'm glad to hear that you are back at it. Take your time, training is a life time endeavor.

Posted on: 2010/6/2 12:58

Village Old Timer
From Dayton, Ohio
Group:
Yesterday I was discharged from rehab. As I return to training, I feel the leg is weaker each day. This is wrong because by measurement the strength is gradually improving but my expectation of improvement is much faster. I will have more time to work on improving endurance (which completely tanked in the time of rest). My movement to and from the ground is slow and slug like. It is very frustrating but gives me an obvious thing to work on. Some people have to search for something to work on - I am blessed with an obvious fault!

Marty

Posted on: 2010/6/12 1:26

Village Old Timer
Group:
Take your time Marty. The art isn't going anywhere soon. And you don't sound like you are going to stop anytime time soon. It doesn't sound like anyone could stop you from training.
It sounds like it's slowly getting stronger and that sounds great to me.
You're not 20 anymore

Posted on: 2010/6/12 16:27

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor