Recent Topics

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Re: Dojo Advice From a Shihan
Kutaki Postmaster
From Norway
Group:
村民 :: Villager
This just does not sit right with me.....

Posted on: 2011/1/6 16:17
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Frequent Visitor
Group:
I like changing up the clothes. Get out of the Gi and put on something a little more restrictive. People don't walk around in Hakamas that often.

Posted on: 2011/1/6 18:26

Villager
From Lehighton PA
Group:
Quote:

MMAdaisuki wrote:
I like changing up the clothes. Get out of the Gi and put on something a little more restrictive. People don't walk around in Hakamas that often.

Maybe you don't...... :)

Posted on: 2011/1/7 2:50

Frequent Visitor
Group:
The only problem with this is that alot of the people I see training lately really do try to stick to this philosphy. They want to skip all the lessons that have been taught in the "old" days and go straight forward to whats being taught today. The problem is they never learn any foundation and tend to be more like noodle martial artists then actual martial artists. People want to copy Soke and try to do everything he is doing and it just isnt possible. You have to start from the old way of thinking and advance on your own. You just can't teach people timing distance and angle's without first just teaching them how to walk. Wasted movement or not the lessons that were taught were and still are valid and need to be trained. My personal preference is the "old" way of doing things I believe it was alot more effective way of training. Staring off into space with "zen" like eyes doesnt teach you really how to fight.

Posted on: 2011/1/7 5:17

Kutaki Postmaster
Group:
Quote:

rbennett877 wrote:
The only problem with this is that alot of the people I see training lately really do try to stick to this philosphy. They want to skip all the lessons that have been taught in the "old" days and go straight forward to whats being taught today. The problem is they never learn any foundation and tend to be more like noodle martial artists then actual martial artists. People want to copy Soke and try to do everything he is doing and it just isnt possible. You have to start from the old way of thinking and advance on your own. You just can't teach people timing distance and angle's without first just teaching them how to walk. Wasted movement or not the lessons that were taught were and still are valid and need to be trained. My personal preference is the "old" way of doing things I believe it was alot more effective way of training. Staring off into space with "zen" like eyes doesnt teach you really how to fight.

What you are talking about is a different thing again.

Posted on: 2011/1/7 9:07

Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
The question is not should you train the basics, but it is about how long does that take. It is also about just what the basics are. Training must be done in a way that the student does gain the skills he/she needs if Life puts you in a critical position. Which ever method gets that accomplished in the shortest time will be the best for that person. I happen to think that Sensei now is showing a shortened time method that is also safer from injury. That is something I do support and try to apply in my own instruction.

Posted on: 2011/1/7 9:15

Villager
From San Salvador, El Salvador
Group:
My two cents as a student and as an archaeologist: kihon is always important, let's you know what has been going on for hundreds of years. With that in mind you can adpat those things to today's needs and standards.

It's like driving a car, kihon would be your rear view mirror, it's always good to see what's happening in the back [past] but also remember to turn again to the things coming to you [present] (incoming traffic, traffic signs, etc.) to get to a destination [future] (enlightment? be a better figther? or whatever that thing might be).

I also like going out from time to time to train. Parks, the beach, etc.

Posted on: 2011/1/7 13:21

Cant Stay Offline
From Sacramento, CA (USA)
Group:
村長 :: Admin
Quote:

Papa-san wrote:
It is also about just what the basics are.

That's the meat of it. People seem to have different ideas as to exactly what constitutes "basics". In reality, the "basics", as in kihon or foundation, of movement hasn't change and shouldn't change. The techniques to discover and develop them might be modified, but the "basics" should still be the same.

With all the differences in how Soke moves now, versus how he moved then (or the "old forms" vs the "new forms"), have the kihon really changed? Aren't they being expressed no matter how Soke or the Shihan move, whether densho or henka versions? Are you (general term) comfortable that you (again, general terms) know exactly what those 'universal kihon' are, assuming they do exist at all?

Or, are there kihon that can only be done by moving according to the "old ways"?

Posted on: 2011/1/7 15:45

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, or in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Kutaki Postmaster
From Norway
Group:
I think maybe because so many wants to do the "new forms" rather than "old style" may be one of the reasons so many of us suck....

Posted on: 2011/1/7 21:12

村長 :: Sonchou
From Brussels
Group:
村長 :: Admin
Maybe best is to do the old forms in the new style because the knowledge of some teacher about the basics and how to teach them has increased over the years?

Posted on: 2011/1/7 21:41

‘It is only when the eyes and the brain get exhausted that there are no lies and you can get the truth’ Thomas Hirschhorn

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor