Socialize

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »

Re: Dojo Advice From a Shihan
Just Passing Through
From Iraq
Group:
村民 :: Villager
You gotta crawl before you can walk then after that you can run. I know I suck so I train the basics as much as I can when I can.

Papa-san said: "Training must be done in a way that the student does gain the skills he/she needs if Life puts you in a critical position."

Which (in my opinion) is a pretty important thing in any martial art. The approach taken in training (to include training in different environments) is something that can definitely affect real world outcomes. But still no excuse for neglecting the basics.

Posted on: 2011/1/13 0:58

Villager
From Lehighton PA
Group:
I have noticed that, when speaking of the "basics", many people tend to argue over individual kata and which ones constitute basic movement.

In my humble opinion, I think they all constitute basic movement. But that only becomes apparent when the kata is broken down to show what the movements are teaching - balance, distance, angles, timing. I have found a wealth of information in the kihon happo and continue to explore it.

Posted on: 2011/1/13 2:55
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Active Kutakian
From Boston, MA
Group:
For what it's worth I think that's a great attitude, Damien. In my current understanding, this breaking down of kata and training scenarios never ends. Every time we come back to an 'old' or seemingly basic kata, we arrive with more experience than we had before and have the chance to see things we were perhaps blind to before. In turn, we also find ourselves raising questions that we couldn't have even framed in earlier times, and the process continues, on and on, each time we return to that kata or exercise.

Posted on: 2011/1/13 9:41

Frequent Visitor
Group:
I think whichever way is better at producing competent combative martial artists. Find someone who really good at the "new way" and compare them to those good at the "old way." I feel confident in saying that those good at the old forms percentage wise could mop the floor with the majority of those who only train the new way regardless of how long they have been training. (1 or 20 plus years)

I would stick with what works until the new way is fine tuned.

It's the end result.

Posted on: 2011/1/13 15:55

Villager
From Lehighton PA
Group:
I think there is more of a connection between the old way and the new one.
Any of us with kids know that you don't teach your children to write the alphabet with small cursive letters. We use great big block letters. Then with time and experience, the letters get smaller and more intricate.

Back in the 80's we were learning the big block letters, now we are getting the smaller and more intricate lessons. But, we are still learning the same alphabet.

I think the old way is a good building block to get to the new way. The difference is that we don't have to wait 20 years anymore to get to the new way.

Posted on: 2011/1/14 2:37

Just Passing Through
From Victoria , Australia
Group:
i was reviewing old tapes &remembering how some off the older japanese shihan moved , to how many "new ppl moved, is it just me or is there a big difference , not only in the technique , but the feeling they send out , or maybe i'm just wrong ,
Greg

Posted on: 2011/1/14 12:24

村長 :: Sonchou
From Chiba, Japan
Group:
村長 :: Admin
Quote:
I think the old way is a good building block to get to the new way. The difference is that we don't have to wait 20 years anymore to get to the new way.

There are no shortcuts to becoming skilled. No matter which "way" you do things, you still have to put in the time to become skilled. Just because we don't do things "the 80's way" anymore doesn't mean that training just became easier or that now we don't have to train as much.

Shawn

Posted on: 2011/1/14 13:00

Village Old Timer
From San Francisco, California, USA
Group:
That is SO freakin' true.

Posted on: 2011/1/14 16:42

Cant Stay Offline
From Hamina, Finland
Group:
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
I don't see why there should be an old way and a new... This might come about to be, but that may be caused by those who train... The question then becomes "why"

When I look at the Japanese Shihan I don't see them doing so different from "back when". Maybe it's just my faulty perception, seeing things that I wanna see.

Posted on: 2011/1/15 17:45
(Bujinkan Budōka since 1985)

Kutaki Postmaster
From South East UK
Group:
What there must NOT be, is a conflict between ancient form and modern form which leaves students only able to deal with ancient styles of attack and fighting method, or only able to deal with an attacker from our own art, which should not be a possibility in any case.

Of the original advice in the first post, the goshin jutsu and womens' was the most important to me, because if it doesn't work as goshinjutsu (against all kinds of non-taijutsu attacks) then it doesn't work period.

Posted on: 2011/1/19 1:44

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor