Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 13 »

Re: Ranking
Kutaki Postmaster
From Norway
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Quote:

However, how many teachers now-a-days have a copy of the Tenchijin?

Does not most? or are you referring to one special? I have several translated version from different sources and versions of the TCJ and also japanese version.

Posted on: 2010/6/9 21:26
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Frequent Visitor
Group:
Quote:

Gorang wrote:
Quote:

Does not most?

I wonder how many of them could say they know it inside-out and that they understand the principles behind the waza and can apply them in a real-life situation (2010 on the street as opposed to 2010 in war or 1700s in medieval Japan)

Posted on: 2010/6/9 22:03

Village Old Timer
Group:
議長 :: Mod
Quote:

Gorang wrote:
Quote:

Does not most? or are you referring to one special? I have several translated version from different sources and versions of the TCJ and also japanese version.

There doesn't seem to be anyone who knows some of the Basic names most the time.

Posted on: 2010/6/10 9:29

Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Just two comments: time in itself is one of the least accurate measures of a person's skill. The quality of his/her instruction and the effort put in are much more valuable guidepoints. Knowing the name of a technique does in no way mean you understand it. That has to be seen to be known.

Posted on: 2010/6/11 10:19

Village Old Timer
Group:
Quote:

Papa-san wrote:
Just two comments: time in itself is one of the least accurate measures of a person's skill. The quality of his/her instruction and the effort put in are much more valuable guidepoints. Knowing the name of a technique does in no way mean you understand it. That has to be seen to be known.

So where does it leave you?

Let's talk about the quality of instruction and effort.

How much effort did you actually put in to training?

How was the quality of your instruction?

How much quality instruction did you get?

Posted on: 2010/6/11 14:27

Active Kutakian
From Australia
Group:
Hi Robert,

Why don't you go first?

Regards,
Matt

Posted on: 2010/6/11 14:37

Village Old Timer
Group:
I didn't make the argument for his criterion. If Ed answers I'll follow suit.

I will ellude to it, my first teacher started in the 80's. I've trained since the early 90s and I've been in japan over 4 years now and train quite a bit. My teacher is one of the four.

I'm not trying to trap Ed into anything. I seriously want to know where he fits in his own judgements.

Posted on: 2010/6/11 14:52

Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Well OK, I have been training since the early '80's. I went to Japan for the first time in January of 88, then back again in January of 89 and 90. I missed a few years then as I had my first hip replacement operation and then the other hip replacement. By 97 I was again making the trip to Japan usually twice a year. In 87 Charles Daniel began coming to my farm in PA to give seminars, He did this about twice a year until about 2000. I also traveled with him to Australia where he was invited to teach which he did every day for a month in April of 1993. I was invited along to help out. During this time I attended every US Tai Kai except the 96 one in Atlanta. I also attended Tai Kai in Sweden, Norway, Italy, two in Spain, and four or five in the UK. I took my go-dan test in '89 at the UK Tai Kai and passed it on the first try. The group of five who took the test there were 110 to 115 shidoshi in the world at that time. All of my black belt ranks came directly from Soke, so if anyone has a problem with what I do, please talk to him. I have never sought out a rank and every time Soke advanced me my response was that I had to work harder to earn it and not disappoint him. I do things for myself every day which the people I've done seminars know as they see me do them.
No I don't know everything, and no I have no interest in becoming fluent in Japanese, it is only Soke and the Japanese training in the Bujinkan that I'd care to converse with and at my age spending valuable time on that language seems a bit pointless, If I was 20 or 30 I would feel differently. The Japanese names of things only grants you language expertise, NOT MARTIAL ART SKILL. That comes from your own training and how open a mind you have. In this art we are creators, we are artists, not mimics.
One more thing, I have raised three daughters who remain friends with me today, I have remained married to the same woman for 50 years. I have traveled all over this world and seen and done things that most people dream of. I have lived a successful life and had a career as a pilot. So I do have a bit of life experience. Our art is an art of living, not just one of martial art. Is that good enough for you Robert??? Next time in Japan I'll be most happy to discuss this further with you if you like. You do seem like a fine young man but with the same attitude that MOST young people have. You know what is right and anyone holding a different opinion is therefore wrong.

Posted on: 2010/6/12 0:15

Village Old Timer
Group:
Actually Ed, I don't care about being right or wrong I really only want to discuss the possibilities of each.

I was specifcally wanting to know about the quality, how do you define quality training.

Knowing the names of the techniques kind of demonstrates that you have done them enough to remember them, doesn't it? I mean it's kind of like remembering a password or something.

Skill at doing something requires actually doing it a lot which requires time.
I'd like to know how this could be different. Do you have a possible test case or an example that could indicate otherwise?

Posted on: 2010/6/12 0:27

Kutaki Postmaster
From Norway
Group:
Quote:

All of my black belt ranks came directly from Soke....

So if I understand this correctly, Ed, then you got Shodan from Soke in Japan 1988 (or did you get it at an Taikai earlier?), and then godan in UK 1989?

Posted on: 2010/6/12 0:48

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 13 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor