Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 9 »

Re: Columbia Tai Kai Godan Test
Permanent Village Fixture
From No. Cal., USA
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Diego,
I liked your post. It makes you seem like a good guy.

If and when you get to Japan, you might ask yourself if your money might better further your practice (and the practices of your students, if you have any) if it were applied to dojo fees at the hombu and shihan dojo as opposed to grading fees.

In either case the monies support the organization but the former application might help more by providing a slightly more skilled membership.

If I've learned nothing in the other bujutsu I practice, it's that membership requires that the members be personally responsible for measuring up to the curriculum to preserve and protect it.

Posted on: 2010/8/30 3:22

Villager
From San Salvador, El Salvador
Group:
Thank you, I just try to keep it simple and real. I just hope that when my time comes I can become a good Shidôshi and make my teachers and Sôke proud.

Posted on: 2010/9/9 2:48
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Honorary Villager
From Florida- U.S.A.
Group:
Well said.

Posted on: 2010/9/10 1:28

Kutaki Postmaster
From Knoxville, TN
Group:
Again, I'm looking for the LIKE button.

Posted on: 2010/9/10 3:59

Cant Stay Offline
From Hamina, Finland
Group:
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
It seems Sakki-test permissions are being given outside Japan, but maybe for special occations only. Looking at pictures from Peter King's 25th Anniversary Taikai a test might have been conducted there, too.

Times are changing.

Posted on: 2010/9/28 15:32
(Bujinkan Budōka since 1985)

Villager
From Dingle, Co Kerry
Group:
Peter King received express permission to conduct a test at the 25th anniversary seminar last weekend, witnessed by both Duncan Stewart and Mark Lithgow - who filmed the test for Soke to see.

I don't believe that this sort of thing is new... just rare.

(It was a special occasion, from my point of view as observer anyway.. a nice surprise and an excellent pass by giver and receiver)

Posted on: 2010/9/29 19:08

Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
That is correct, it is not new just rare. These currently are only done with direct permission by Soke to the one giving the test and usually only on a by name request with reason why it can't be done in Japan. The first one I was given permission to test was in 2002 which Joe Adriance witnessed.

Posted on: 2010/9/29 22:16

Villager
From San Salvador, El Salvador
Group:
I know that I gave my 2 cents about this already but I still think it might bring more harm than good to us that live far away from Japan and that our annual income is way below $10,000 a year (having a decent job).

I know that money isn't everything in this life but charm and a good heart won't buy you a ticket half way around the world. The only reason I (notice the stress on the I) would ask to be tested locally is that I've lost my job and had no income whatsoever or that I have an illness that won't allow me to travel.

I may be strict on my way of thinking but in my own case this is the only way. Like I said before, if more sakki tests are done outside Japan (much with Sôke's permission) in Latin America's poorer countries, then the breach between us and the source will become wider. In thier mind Sôke won't be important any more, and what happens after that? having their own Shihan recommending among themselves to get a 10th Dan? Then? giving sakki tests without Sôke's permission? Creating a Bujinkan branch just for latin america? Creating a new XXX-kan of the Takamatsu Den? Breaking completely off the Takamatsu Den and creating something like "The Kukulkan (name of a Mayan god) Shadow Warrior Ninjutsu Organization" or "The Latin American Ninjutsu Federation".

Remember that the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Posted on: 2010/9/30 7:03

Cant Stay Offline
From Hamina, Finland
Group:
Quote:

Papa-san wrote:
That is correct, it is not new just rare. These currently are only done with direct permission by Soke to the one giving the test and usually only on a by name request with reason why it can't be done in Japan. The first one I was given permission to test was in 2002 which Joe Adriance witnessed.

Already in 2002?! That kinda explains couple of pictures I've seen, also from 2002 and seemingly about a Sakki test outside Japan.

Thank you for this piece of missing information.

Posted on: 2010/9/30 14:34
(Bujinkan Budōka since 1985)

村長 :: Sonchou
From Chiba, Japan
Group:
村長 :: Admin
Quote:
The only reason I (notice the stress on the I) would ask to be tested locally is that I've lost my job and had no income whatsoever or that I have an illness that won't allow me to travel.

Just playing devil's advocate here, but if someone has lost their job, has no income whatsoever, or has an illness serious enough to prevent travel, then doesn't that person perhaps have more serious things to think about in their life than taking the Godan test? Is the Godan test more important than being able to put bread on the table or enjoy a life with good health? Aren't being able to have a job, support yourself (and a family) and live in good health more important than being able to train in martial arts at all?

In my opinion, martial arts training should come after those more important "life basics" are taken care of. It is admirable to make sacrifices for the sake of training, but it is stupid to seriously damage your life to do so. Last year at DKMS Noguchi Sensei came over and mentioned someone there who had lost their job in order to come over and attend DKMS and sit the Godan test. He (Noguchi Sensei) was shaking his head in bewilderment about why someone would do that, and made a comment about a lack of understanding of "life basics".

Just some extra food for thought,

Shawn

Posted on: 2010/9/30 14:34

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 9 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor