Dpinga

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

spiritual training and kihon happo
Frequent Visitor
From Wingham NSW
Group:
村民 :: Villager
hey all, I have just come back to training and I want to learn more about the spiritual aspects of ninjutsu. I am also having trouble with footwork, kihon happo and would like to learn more kata so I can train at home.
Any ideas would be appreciated thanks.

Posted on: 2010/9/4 19:03
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: spiritual training and kihon happo
Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Footwork is just a term used to show that you always correct to good balance. Movement happens from the hips, your core, and the feet then move to keep you in balance. The kihon is the way we use to learn our basics. Spiritual aspects opens up a whole other area that does start to come as you work on your basics and let your mind relax. Just feel the movement and make it natural.

Posted on: 2010/9/5 1:02

Kutaki Postmaster
Group:
Quote:

joshua90 wrote:
hey all, I have just come back to training and I want to learn more about the spiritual aspects of ninjutsu. I am also having trouble with footwork, kihon happo and would like to learn more kata so I can train at home.
Any ideas would be appreciated thanks.

There seems to be a few people wanting to train in Regional NSW by a couple of posts here and emails I've received.

Where are you training? In Newcastle maybe? Quite a drive.

There is plenty written about the philosophical and spiritual aspects

Dymocks (Australia)

Amazon (US)

And DVD on training
Queststation

Good luck with it.

Posted on: 2010/9/5 18:02

Village Old Timer
Group:
Quote:

Papa-san wrote:
Footwork is just a term used to show that you always correct to good balance. Movement happens from the hips, your core, and the feet then move to keep you in balance. The kihon is the way we use to learn our basics. Spiritual aspects opens up a whole other area that does start to come as you work on your basics and let your mind relax. Just feel the movement and make it natural.

Are you saying to move your hips first and then your feet?

This is not correct tai-sabaki.

Posted on: 2010/9/6 12:28

Cant Stay Offline
From Hamina, Finland
Group:
Quote:

benkyoka wrote:
Quote:

Papa-san wrote:

Are you saying to move your hips first and then your feet?

This is not correct tai-sabaki.

Got me thinking - what is meant by moving here (by both writers above)?

Posted on: 2010/9/6 16:19
(Bujinkan Budōka since 1985)

Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
Well Syd, we are going to disagree on this one. The movement DOES start from your core, your hips, and then the feet merely move to a position that gives good balance. Taijutsu is all about good balance ---- and correct positioning. Movement meant by me is in your repositioning to a safe space. It is being out of the threat area and in an area that an immediate counter can be done.

Posted on: 2010/9/7 0:36

Cant Stay Offline
From Sacramento, CA (USA)
Group:
村長 :: Admin
If I might add, there are many ways to move depending on the context. In sabaki gata, or any kind of receiving, the first body part that moves is responding to the act of aggression. Therefore, the last body part moved is what you are leaving in the 'target spot' the longest. If your feet move first, then your body is staying in the 'target spot' far too long. If you move just the hips, then both feet and head stay there. If the upper body moves first, then balance is lost. If the body moves in unison, then everything moves off the 'target spot' in one motion.

Now, if you are bending the legs and shifting the hips, then the angle of the body changes and this can offer a protective shape as well that permits the attack to miss it's target - and fool the attacker into thinking he just might hit you.

I good tenchigiri would show just what is lingering in the 'target spot' - it will be cut/hit.

In striking, what you move first sends the telegraph that something is happening, unless you have a distractor (i.e. lead hand, kazushi, etc) or can hide the strike through angles, etc. There are those who place their lead foot in the weak space, turn the hips, then roll up the spine to the strike (i.e. unwinding power). There are also those who put their weapon in the space first, then propel the body behind it. And, there are those who strike as one unified motion. All are good, depending on the circumstances.

In my experiences, I have found there isn't a 'set in stone' manner of moving. Even balance has been toyed with, such as creating a falling motion to propel a weapon or movement, or using Hicho No Kata as an exercise in losing balance (ref: Kobudo no Kihon DVD). It can be said that balance, being important, should also not become a fixed object of importance, or it is a trap. So, I think the pending argument above is going to end up being fruitless without physical examples to show just what each other means. Without context and example, this is just too difficult.

Of course, that's my opinion, so...

Posted on: 2010/9/7 3:26

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, or in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Village Old Timer
From Dayton, Ohio
Group:
Quote:

Darren wrote

In my experiences, I have found there isn't a 'set in stone' manner of moving.

There you go!

Marty

Posted on: 2010/9/7 4:24

Kutaki Postmaster
From Knoxville, TN
Group:
I'm looking for the LIKE button.

Posted on: 2010/9/7 6:36

Village Old Timer
From Matsudo City, Chiba, Japan
Group:
Like!

An aside, I know, but an illustration of training to avoid
pattern, is found in Frank Herbert's Dune cycle. The people on the desert planet Arrakis face the danger of being eaten by the sandworms, which are attracted by rythmic vibrations, such as footsteps. The people evolve an arhythmic form of dance to avoid attracting attention.

Everybody, good luck in training!

Posted on: 2010/9/7 8:18

(1) 2 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor