Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Self Introduction
Active Kutakian
From Savannah, GA
Group:
村民 :: Villager
LightDancer,

Thank you very much for the invitation. I certainly would enjoy making a trip to Knoxville to train with you all once I get stateside again.

~Jarod

Posted on: 2010/9/13 14:29
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Kutaki Postmaster
From Colorado
Group:
Quote:

NYorker wrote:
Darren,

Thanks for the warm welcome. You are correct in that I have gained significant experience in ukemi and Kihon Happo since I began training in 2009. Out here in Afghanistan, I found some Aikido practitioners and have been training with them twice a week in order to stay fresh on my ukemi and get some practice with maintaining balance and fluid movement. It has been valuable training since I have not found anyone in the Bujinkan out here that still trains.

I've also been studying the literature of Soke and the notes I took at past seminars and classes mainly on the Tenchijin. I feel prepared to go to the Hombu, and I agree with you that I can learn alot of the basics from the Japanese Shihan. Training under Soke would obviously be an enormous pleasure but I am planning on learning from everyone I meet out there.

I attended 2 seminars with 15th dan in the US; Shihan Pearce and Shihan Asuncion. Both were great experiences for me that I took alot away from. I am a member of the Bujinkan Raku Rai dojo out of Murfreesboro, TN and trained under Sensei Prater (8th dan) usually twice a week.

Can't wait to visit the Land of the Rising Sun, it has been too long that I have been waiting, since 1998! I'll spend a couple days in Tokyo sightseeing and about 10 days training in Noda.

Any more words of advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Jarod

Take some time to go to Ueno. The main museum has a great collection of armor and very interesting art. If you look around in the station you will find a bookstore. Ask for the subway map. A great map of the system for Tokyo and the burbs. I missed the Edo museum the last time but my students went and said it was a blast. Shawn's apt in Noda is good. If it is full try the Azusa Ryokan.

You can e-mail me at awitty@warriorwindma.com. I have some stuff scanned in from various trips.

Posted on: 2010/9/15 13:27

Alan Witty...
www.warriorwindma.com

Active Kutakian
From Savannah, GA
Group:
Kutaki Members,

I've been told that giving small, appropriate gifts is something done often in Japan for introductions or to say thank you. Has anyone done this with any of the Sensei or Auzsa Ryokan staff?

Also, I'm told the exchange of business cards is important to many people at introductions. Is this the case? Would it be appreciated or is it not really necessary? I could easily make some good quality ones before I leave in 2 weeks, and if so, should they be personal or have my professional (military) information on them?

I'd appreciate any comments/suggestions/feedback.

~Jarod

Posted on: 2010/10/2 2:26

Kutaki Postmaster
From South East UK
Group:
English on one side, Japanese on the other.

After introcucing oneself, present card with both hands (Japanese side showing) saying: "Watashi no meishi desu. Dozo"

If given a card in return, take time to look at it, perhaps comment as to which is the kanji for their name, etc, and put it away respectfully, not shoved in the back pocket of your jeans.

Posted on: 2010/10/2 20:26

Active Kutakian
From Savannah, GA
Group:
Those are pretty much the exact words I read on every website I checked for information on this subject.

Guess this affirms those sites are accurate.

Posted on: 2010/10/2 23:31

Kutaki Postmaster
From South East UK
Group:
Quote:

NYorker wrote:
Those are pretty much the exact words I read on every website I checked for information on this subject.

Guess this affirms those sites are accurate.

For anyone thinking I googled it, this is one of the few scraps remaining from a 2 year night school course in Japanese from about 15 years ago.

My teachers were John and Jeanette Simpson.

http://www.sussexjapansociety.co.uk/sjs/sjshisty.htm

The other useful scrap is something along the lines of

"Watashi no neko wa teburu no ue ni desu"

(My cat is under the table?)

Posted on: 2010/10/5 9:06

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor