Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

waza and kata to do by myself?
Frequent Visitor
From Wingham NSW
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Hi all,
I was wondering if any of you had any ideas of waza or kata that I could do on my own?
I am still a beginner, I have trouble with correct footwork and the whole small movements. I also wanted to know if anyone has read Gyokko Ryu Densho by Carlsten Kuhn and whether it is a good resource I am thinking of buying it?

The books that I have are hard to read at the moment because I need to understand the basics more and the books that I have include Unarmed Fighting Techniques of the Samurai and Way of the Ninja.
Also wondered if you know any websites that show waza or kata movements in pictures and explain each kamae?

Posted on: 2010/9/24 14:56
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: waza and kata to do by myself?
Cant Stay Offline
From Hamina, Finland
Group:
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
To begin with Gogyô no kata (Sanshin no kata) and the Daken part of Kihon Happô (Kosshi Kihon Sanpô; Ichimonji, Hichô and Jûmonji).

I feel there's no need to feel a rush to learn. Take it easy with the teacher you are studying, the teacher will help you learn as you need.

Posted on: 2010/9/24 16:01
(Bujinkan Budōka since 1985)

Villager
From Germany
Group:
Just find a good teacher

Posted on: 2010/9/24 16:55

Kutaki Postmaster
Group:
Dear Joshua,

There is indeed plenty of things you can practise at home. However, ask your teacher first to show you these moves and to give some advice. No use repeating moves in your backyard if you do them wrong. My advice to you is to do stretching and other flexibility exercises as well as stregthening exercises at home. Add to that ukemi, basic strikes and blocks. This should be sufficient for awhile. To improve your overall body movement. Get a bokken and ask your teacher to show you basic cuts and basic draws (incuding footwork). You will find them to be remarkably like the strikes and blocks done emty handed

Gambatte! / Skuggvarg

Posted on: 2010/9/24 19:17

Kutaki Postmaster
From Norway
Group:
I totally agree with Skuggvarg. Add in basic Bo to it, and you have all you need, it also good for helping you train both sides.
In fact these are the most important things you can train in.

Posted on: 2010/9/24 21:53

Kutaki Postmaster
From South East UK
Group:
The wonderful thing about this art is that you will spend as much time 'un-learning' as you spend 'learning' (and this will still be the case in 10 or 20 years), so whatever you do, as long as it is as close as possible to what you are learning in actual lessons as you are able to reproduce, should help to keep you going.

Also, unless you are already a tough cookie/biscuit, you may want to think about what else may need to be supplemented to instill some measured confidence (in dealing with difficult real life situations) and regular reality checks so that you can use what you learn when you need it without going to jelly, because these aspects will not necessarily form part of your normal classes.

Posted on: 2010/9/24 22:10

Villager
From Texas
Group:
I'd like to re-emphasize ukemi, ukemi, ukemi.

Your ukemi can never be good enough.

I have been doing various forms of ukemi since 1995 and I still feel like I am not good enough at it.

Posted on: 2010/9/26 5:34
"Come and take them!" King Leonidas' reply to Xerxes' demand the Spartans lay down their arms at the Battle of Thermopylae.

Villager
From Lehighton PA
Group:
I would agree with all of the above posts.

Finding a good teacher is extremely important. There are so many subtleties in this art that you will never get from a video or a book.

In leu of that, practice the sanshin, koshi sanpo, and ukemi. I've been practicing these movements for over 20 years and I can not begin to emphasize how much I still get out of them every time I practice.

Posted on: 2010/11/2 2:28

Hehehe...
Permanent Village Fixture
From Dallas, TX
Group:
Find a reputable teacher...

But if that is impossible, study any version of the first 2 kata from Gyokko'-Ryu', (1) Koku and (2) Renyo'... Master them as best you can, and you will be ahead of most of us that study the multitude of techniques that exist... then add a weapon and repeat!!!

Good luck and Keep Going (with it)!!!

Posted on: 2010/11/30 19:11

Unsubscribed
Deleted_Unsubscribed
Good idea!Good luck and Keep Going!!!

Posted on: 2010/12/1 18:19

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor