Recent Topics

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Prospective Bujinkan Student Introdction/Question
Just Passing Through
From Adelaide, South Australia
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Greetings,

First of all, I apologise if this is in the wrong section, but I figured since I was not yet a member of Bujinkan, this would be the best place to post.

To follow the FAQ, I'll start with a short introduction.

My name is Tom and I am from Adelaide, South Australia. I have been interested in martial arts for a long time; since training in Go Kan Ryu Karate up to 7th kyu as a child. After researching many different styles, I have decided to have my try at Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu. At the moment I am in the process of considering my options of dojos and instructors in my area to find which would be best for my situation. Recently, I have found this website to be extremely useful in finding out more information about Bujinkan. I look forward to becoming an active member of the forums and learning a lot more about the art.

Now to the question:

Just a warning, this might have the potential to step on some toes, so if the moderators deem my question to be unsuitable, I will understand if it is deleted.

I am considering training at Darren Horvath's Adelaide dojo. From looking around on the internet and reading his bio on his website, Darren Horvath seems to be fairly respected in the martial arts community. I was just wondering what kind of reputation Darren Horvath has in the Bujinkan community and if anyone has heard of his quality of training. I understand he spends most of his time in Japan and the majority of training would not be from Darren personally, but I still consider his reputation important if it is his name on the dojo.

Thanks everyone for reading my post. I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone a little.

Regards,

Tom (aka Logic)

Posted on: 2010/9/27 21:54

"We all become important when we realise our goal should be to figure out our role within the context of the whole..."

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Prospective Bujinkan Student Introdction/Question
Cant Stay Offline
From Sacramento, CA (USA)
Group:
村長 :: Admin
議長 :: Mod
Hi Tom, welcome aboard! Well, I'm from the states and can tell you with absolute certainty if he wasn't so far away, I'd make the trip to train with him. He is a stand up guy, good hearted and his taijutsu is amazing. He is known around the world, having done many seminars in various countries. If you are fortunate enough to be able to train in his dojo, you should do it!

Others I'm sure will tell you the same thing.

Go for it!

Posted on: 2010/9/28 2:04

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, or in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Village Old Timer
Group:
For every person who tells you he is good, there will be one who will tell you he sucks. It's like this for every teacher. It's best to go meet him, try his class, and make a determination yourself if his teaching is something you want to follow.

Posted on: 2010/9/28 12:36

Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Excellent Advice!!! Go and make your own evaluation.

Posted on: 2010/9/28 12:39

Village Old Timer
From Matsudo City, Chiba, Japan
Group:
Hi Tom,

You're rather lucky. There appear to be a few dojos in your area.

There is the Bujinkan Dojo Adelaide - http://www.bujinkanadelaide.org.au/

There's Darren's dojo - http://www.darrenhorvath.com/

And Scott - http://www.ninjutsu.com.au/instructor.html

Evan, who may be in your area (I haven't been to Australia, so I don't know what transportation hurdles you may face.)
http://bujinkanninjutsu.com/training.html

It doesn't matter what we say (overseas long timers like Ed, and young resident practioners like me). What matters is you. Whose approach works for you?

Why don't you check them out, and come back and tell us what you found?

Posted on: 2010/9/28 18:30

Just Passing Through
From Adelaide, South Australia
Group:
Thanks for the information everyone. :)

I know, I'm fairly lucky for the amount of dojos in my area; it's usually hard to find, for lack of a better word, "organisations" represented in Adelaide.

I'm just doing my research at the moment and emailing all possible dojos about their fee structure, amount of different instructors, class size, amount of sessions students are expected to attend, 'curriculum' etc.

I'm planning on going to at least one trial session with each dojo I'm impressed with. I let you know what my final decision is.

Again, thanks for the help.

~ Tom (Logic) ~

Posted on: 2010/9/29 16:02

"We all become important when we realise our goal should be to figure out our role within the context of the whole..."

Village Old Timer
From San Francisco, California, USA
Group:
Quote:

Logic wrote:
I'm planning on going to at least one trial session with each dojo I'm impressed with. I let you know what my final decision is.

Please do -- with the available options there, I'm sure someone will be able to make you happy. In a painful sort of way.

Posted on: 2010/9/29 17:51

Villager
From Germany
Group:
dseago wrote:
Quote:

Logic wrote:
Dale Seago wrote:

Please do -- with the available options there, I'm sure someone will be able to make you happy. In a painful sort of way.[/quote]

well, pain is part of our training, can be used to remember certain important things, lol

Posted on: 2010/9/29 23:20

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor