Recent Topics

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Quote from Soke
Just Passing Through
From Germany
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Hi,

since I'm new here, I just like to say hello to everyone first!

Now to my post...

I found this quote from Soke recently, unfortunatly there was no source given.

"Budo is lot like life. You make mistakes. You learn. You sweat. You cry. You grow. By training in Budo, you will come to be able to solve any of lifes dilemmas. The answer will just be there."

Does anybody know where it comes from? If it's on any written or recorded media at all...

Greets, Simon

Posted on: 2010/10/7 17:50
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Quote from Soke
Village Old Timer
From Dayton, Ohio
Group:
When Soke is talking, it often takes 2-3 interpreters to translate for him. Subtle changes in wording significantly changes meaning of sentences. Many of us will relay things we have heard Soke say during training - but only after they have been passed through an interpreter first. The only way to know if something was lost in the digestion to to recognize things and things he has said previously. The feeling will make it through. It also helps to know which interpreters tend to augment or put their own edge on the interpretation.

There was a well known Daikomyosai in which Soke used the phrase "chuto hampa" to describe a feeling. The person interpreting said "The techinique was Half-assed". This almost makes it sound like he was saying it was sloppy. Others joined in and said that Soke meant "incomplete". By never finishing a technique, and freely moving from techinque (and not being sloppy) you can't be defeated! Obviously we have to interpret the interpretation to get a meaning we can use in our taijutsu!

While I have never heard a quote in which Soke said the exact words you wrote, it certainly fits the feeling of many other things I have heard him say. Personally I have found that your journey through training in our art is often a metaphor for life. The things you struggle with in the Dojo - you often have problems with in the real world. This is one way that training improves our life!

Marty

Posted on: 2010/10/8 0:39

Kutaki Postmaster
Group:
Quote:

mrdunsky wrote:
When Soke is talking, it often takes 2-3 interpreters to translate for him. Subtle changes in wording significantly changes meaning of sentences. Many of us will relay things we have heard Soke say during training - but only after they have been passed through an interpreter first. The only way to know if something was lost in the digestion to to recognize things and things he has said previously. The feeling will make it through. It also helps to know which interpreters tend to augment or put their own edge on the interpretation.

There was a well known Daikomyosai in which Soke used the phrase "chuto hampa" to describe a feeling. The person interpreting said "The techinique was Half-assed". This almost makes it sound like he was saying it was sloppy. Others joined in and said that Soke meant "incomplete". By never finishing a technique, and freely moving from techinque (and not being sloppy) you can't be defeated! Obviously we have to interpret the interpretation to get a meaning we can use in our taijutsu!

The role of interpreter became very political. I always think it strange that the job always seemed to be done much, much better in the eighties and early nineties (when the Bujinkan was a much smaller organisation) than it is today.

Posted on: 2010/10/8 8:54

Village Old Timer
From Dayton, Ohio
Group:
Quote:

Zenigata wrote:

The role of interpreter became very political. I always think it strange that the job always seemed to be done much, much better in the eighties and early nineties (when the Bujinkan was a much smaller organisation) than it is today.

Really?! I do not speak Japanese, and I wasn't there in the 80s and early 90s so I can't say you are wrong. Watching the Daikomyosai and Taikai videos I would have to disagree that it was really different. Certainly the books would seem to be much better translated more recently.

Perhaps his teachings are much more complex and philosophical that ti is much more open to subtle differences.

Marty

Posted on: 2010/10/8 15:05

Hehehe...
Permanent Village Fixture
From Dallas, TX
Group:
Being an old timer myself... It was better in the early 80's... Less dependency, Less BS... Happy holidays!

Posted on: 2010/10/8 17:05

Re: Hehehe...
Permanent Village Fixture
From Dallas, TX
Group:
Just reread the original question... less opinion... perhaps post if you know the origin of the quote...

Posted on: 2010/10/8 17:26

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor