(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Opinions or personal attacks
Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
村民 :: Villager
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
I have noticed a frequent departure from the offering of opinions on Kutaki to a preference for just personal attacks. I would point out that personal attacks gain nothing for anyone, including the attacker. It certainly in no way helps someone seeking information, it only makes them lose respect for those posting. Our words and how we use them ARE important. Opinions no matter how uninformed they may be are still the valid attempt to contribute by a member. If you have something to add, or if you disagree, then disagree with the opinion, don't attack the person. That helps no one. There are WAY too many, as a friend of mine says, "tiger mouths that overload their hummingbird a-ses." The keyboard warriors which really just like to hear themselves talk and think there will never be any consequences. We really don't need that type of thing on this site. It should be remembered that whatever you post will ALWAYS be there so do give thought before posting.

Posted on: 2010/10/8 22:14

Re: Opinions or personal attacks
Villager
From Lehighton PA
Group:
I agree, and would like to take this one step further. Not only is what we post electronicly viewable, but it is also written across the hearts and minds of all who view it. Constructive energy is a great thing to have among all the very knowledgable people I've read from on this site. But, negative energy only serves to stain all who come in contact with it.

Just my opinion......

Posted on: 2010/10/9 2:37
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Active Kutakian
From Redmond, Washington
Group:
A reading from the book of New York Taxi Driver Wisdom:

"if you're a smart guy, you can see what's smart about the next guy 'cause you can do a lot more working with him. If you're secretly worried that you're a moron, well, of course, you think everyone around you is a moron."

Posted on: 2010/10/9 4:15

Active Kutakian
Group:
Quote:

Papa-san wrote:

I have noticed a frequent departure from the offering of opinions on Kutaki to a preference for just personal attacks. I would point out that personal attacks gain nothing for anyone, including the attacker.

i have to disagree. attacks of any kind have a GOAL. so how can one say that it doesn't gain anything for anyone? if the attack gained the goal aimed for, then the attack was worth it for the attacker.

Quote:

Papa-san wrote:

If you have something to add, or if you disagree, then disagree with the opinion, don't attack the person.

yup, i agree. however, those kinds of attacks gives some insight on both the attacker and the target. not necessarily information but INSIGHT.

Quote:

Papa-san wrote:

That helps no one.

except the attacker, if the attack succeeded.

Posted on: 2010/10/9 20:59

"Don't ask me. I need time to practice rather than answering to it." - Harada Masanori

just playing the ONI's advocate!

Kutaki Postmaster
From Canada
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Sometimes things sound like personal attacks when they aren't. For example, if someone says something really stupid and that causes other people to point out how stupid it was and why, that's not necessarily personal.

I think if we stay humble and avoid saying stupid or inflamatory things, there will be no personal attacks. It's hard to feel bad for someone who's being shot at though, when they've dressed up like a deer during hunting season and gone for a run in the woods.

Posted on: 2010/10/10 11:29

Unsubscribed
Deleted_Unsubscribed
Quote:

Papa-san wrote:
I have noticed a frequent departure from the offering of opinions on Kutaki to a preference for just personal attacks. I would point out that personal attacks gain nothing for anyone, including the attacker. It certainly in no way helps someone seeking information, it only makes them lose respect for those posting. Our words and how we use them ARE important. Opinions no matter how uninformed they may be are still the valid attempt to contribute by a member. If you have something to add, or if you disagree, then disagree with the opinion, don't attack the person. That helps no one. There are WAY too many, as a friend of mine says, "tiger mouths that overload their hummingbird a-ses." The keyboard warriors which really just like to hear themselves talk and think there will never be any consequences. We really don't need that type of thing on this site. It should be remembered that whatever you post will ALWAYS be there so do give thought before posting.

Ed,

You are just as much to blame for this perceived "problem" you are ranting about. You are every bit the keyboard warrior who loves to hear himself talk, as evidenced by your ubiquitousness on this forum and your propensity for telling other people what to do; you do it it private messages and you are doing it here now.

Just because someone attacks what you say or how you say it doesn't mean that they are attacking you. However....when you attempt to throw your weight around and police others without ANY authority, you not only succeed in annoying us, you also give us license to attack you personally, if only to admonish you to take your BS somewhere else.

Who are YOU to tell anyone what to do or say, or how to do it or say it?

And for the record....I sincerely hope that my words here are read by as many people as possible.

And by the way, to respond to the threat you sent me through private message: no....I won't be attending this year's Daikomyosai. I have a billion better things to do with my time than stand around watching a bunch of gaijin ju-godan pose for the cameras and screw up kihon yet again.

But fear not, Ed. You said that you wanted to show me "what you can do", as you put it. So in my stead I am sending Stephen Hawking. He should prove to be a perfect opponent for you....provided he lets you warm up first.

- Mark Spada

Posted on: 2010/10/10 13:52

Kutaki Postmaster
Group:
Quote:

markspada wrote:
Daniel,

I'm going to speculate here that i think Mr. Martin is really suggesting that there is a better way to express our ideas, as well as pointing out that it's a relatively simple matter to express respect for each other's ideas.

It seems that you are only interested in asserting your own ideas, especially when you perceive the opportunity to attack another's....

I would suggest that the lessons offered by our tradition haven't really sunk in yet, have they?

Mark Spada

Quote:

markspada wrote:
P.S. -

Oh, and by the way Daniel....

....overly argumentative/assertive/antagonistic posts REALLY annoy me.

Mark Spada

Posted on: 2010/10/10 16:28

Unsubscribed
Deleted_Unsubscribed
Weaksauce, Duncan....

That's all you ever serve here.

- Mark Spada

Posted on: 2010/10/10 20:35

Active Kutakian
From Redmond, Washington
Group:
I rest my case

Posted on: 2010/10/11 2:06

Unsubscribed
Deleted_Unsubscribed
Quote:

jgaunttWA wrote:
I rest my case

You had a case? All you had was an irrelevant quote.

Duncan not only took my words out of context, they were posted a long time ago....back when I was under the delusion that Ed Martin had something of value to offer and Daniel was full of hot air.

Experience has proven that it's actually the other way around.

And by the way....when I mentioned your tsuki I was referring to watching your movement for two days at the Vancouver, BC Kacem Zoughari seminar in 2009. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't even what I consider fifth kyu. My comments were meant to paint in broad strokes; it seems to me that the higher the rank in the Bujinkan, the worse the movement. Perhaps spending less time on Kutaki posting quotes and more time polishing the fundamentals would be a good thing, yes?

This is a discussion forum, see? When I have discussions with anyone, I am perfectly entitled to disagree with them, or point out how their argument has no weight or that what they are saying makes no sense....or even suggest that they should really leave the history lessons to those who have actually studied that history.

- Mark Spada

Posted on: 2010/10/11 2:59

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor