« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: Opinions or personal attacks
Kutaki Postmaster
From UK
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Quote:

ElfTengu wrote:
I personally try to treat people online in the same way as if I met them in person.

My basic rule is: don't treat anyone in a manner that would get you a smack on the nose if you were in a pub.

I may have seemed harsh towards certain peoples' recent/ongoing contratent, but we're not knitting enthusiasts, we are martial artists, and I can't imagine Chuck Lidell and Randy Couture or your average pair of pugilists having a protracted slanging match tapping furiously at keyboards with unlimited indignation.

Yeah but that's because they just know how to dance around in the ring. They have no idea about how t3h r34l martial arts are. :D

Posted on: 2010/10/13 23:53
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Villager
From Lehighton PA
Group:
I would never venture to guess what other's private conversations might or might not entail. But, I would like to give some balance to a comment or two concerning Mr. Martin.

I've known Ed for quite a few years and I train with him regularly. I have disagreed with a couple of the things he was teaching. I brought these things to his attention in a respectful manner which was based on my own curiosity, not critisizm. He responded to my questions with respect and a curiosity of his own, not any kind of negativity or offensiveness.

If anyone has not had the same type of experience with him, then I am sorry, for I have found his teaching to be of great value to me and many others throughout the years.

Posted on: 2010/10/14 2:44

Villager
From Texas
Group:
I gotta chime in here too.

Is it not typical in the japanese martial ryu that the seniors are responsible for the juniors?

Thusly if the senior observes the junior practicing the waza incorrectly, then is it not his obligation to inform the junior, right?

Is it not the juniors responsibility to heed the given advice/instruction?

I'm pretty sure when we pay our yearly membership dues, we are willing participants and are agreeing to the structure of the ryu, yes?

Like it or not, Ed is a senior in this ryu we are willing participants in. If he says "your foot goes here, not there"; I am going to listen to him.

If a person decides that Ed 'shouldn't' or 'can't' give them advice, the maybe the person should go and reflect on the structure of the ryu whether or not they want to continue to be part of it.

Posted on: 2010/10/14 3:37
"Come and take them!" King Leonidas' reply to Xerxes' demand the Spartans lay down their arms at the Battle of Thermopylae.

Kutaki Postmaster
From Canada
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Quote:

I'm pretty sure when we pay our yearly membership dues, we are willing participants and are agreeing to the structure of the ryu, yes?

Like it or not, Ed is a senior in this ryu we are willing participants in. If he says "your foot goes here, not there"; I am going to listen to him.

That might be true if there were actually some kind of reasonable and consistent structure related to rank or seniority, but there isn't. Holding a high rank has nothing to do with ability nor does the number of years someone has been training, so taking advice from someone just because they appear senior in terms of rank or duration is foolish.

If you trust Ed and you're impressed by his actual ability then you should put your foot wherever he tells you to but that should be because you respect and want to acquire his ability, not because he holds a high rank or because he's been involved for a long time.

Excluding the division between the Japanese Shihan and the rest of us, any idea of systemic Bujinkan-wide seniority is at best impossible to peg down and at worst, meaningless. Ability is all that really matters.

Posted on: 2010/10/14 4:19

Villager
From Texas
Group:
Your'e talking about ability and I am talking about technical minutiea.

Apples and oranges.

And just to clarify, I would afford that same respect to anyone who is senior to me in this ryu. Like that person or not.

If there is some exception taken to what I say. Then contact my instructor in Texas. George Russell.

Posted on: 2010/10/14 4:57
"Come and take them!" King Leonidas' reply to Xerxes' demand the Spartans lay down their arms at the Battle of Thermopylae.

Kutaki Postmaster
From Canada
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
It's not really apples and oranges, but that doesn't matter.

How do you measure a person's seniority? For example, if one 15th dan tells you to put your foot here and another 15th dan tells you to put it there, where do you decide to put it? Do you base the decision on some sort of seniority? At what point does one become your senior? If you're 9th kyu and they're 8th kyu, do you do whatever they tell you?

For what it's worth, I think respect should be extended to pretty much everyone, senior or not. Everybody should be respected. Respecting someone though, doesn't mean taking what they say as truth.

Posted on: 2010/10/14 5:22

Kutaki Postmaster
From South East UK
Group:
Quote:

How do you measure a person's seniority? For example, if one 15th dan tells you to put your foot here and another 15th dan tells you to put it there, where do you decide to put it?

Depends which one is watching at the time!

Posted on: 2010/10/14 8:18

Kutaki Postmaster
From UK
Group:
Kage-Ronin,

I haven't the foggiest idea what you mean by 'in this ryu' or 'the structure of the ryu' which you keep repeatedly writing. There are nine ryu that comprise the Bujinkan - which one?

If you're talking about the individual nine ryu, then the only people who are senior to the lay Bujinkan member are the Japanese shihan who have menkyo in the ryu-ha themselves.

Posted on: 2010/10/14 8:37

Villager
From Texas
Group:
I am referring to the Bujinkan organization as a whole as one big ryu.

Posted on: 2010/10/14 9:06

Kutaki Postmaster
From UK
Group:
But it's not one.

Posted on: 2010/10/14 9:18

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor