Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Socialize

Recent Topics

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Why does being a ninja make you more of a target?
Kutaki Postmaster
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Quote:

kouryuu wrote:
Sensei recently said that we could really be calling ourselves "bugei-ka" if we are training with the "art" aspect of "martial arts" in mind. (gei = 芸 = art).

Bugei-sha is more natural isn’t it?

Quote:

kouryuu wrote:
John - I like a lot of what you wrote in this thread. Some good points that rang true with some things that Sensei talked about over lunch this past Sunday, like the idea that the main point is to enjoy the good things in life, and that the reason for the existence of true martial arts is to protect the ability to enjoy those things.

It is something he would say, and the existence of bugei was/is on one hand to “protect” resources but it can be argued its existence was equally to subjugate the population and to acquire more resources through military and political expansion.

Posted on: 2011/3/2 11:36
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

村長 :: Sonchou
From Chiba, Japan
Group:
村長 :: Admin
Duncan,

You're free to ask Sensei about those interpretations yourself if you like. I just thought it would be helpful to share what he said as it pertained to some of the points in this thread.

Shawn

Posted on: 2011/3/3 11:40

Kutaki Postmaster
Group:
Quote:

kouryuu wrote:
Duncan,

You're free to ask Sensei about those interpretations yourself if you like. I just thought it would be helpful to share what he said as it pertained to some of the points in this thread.

Shawn

So you’re saying I’m wrong?

Posted on: 2011/3/3 14:34

Kutaki Postmaster
Group:
… in addition.

Shawn, please don’t borrow Hatsumi-sensei’s authority.

The earlier post you made was interesting – but it was your post. You may have been quoting Hatsumi-sensei from a lunch you had earlier but even in quoting someone from a written work, discussion or conversation it is still your post. You have referenced a statement to support what you wanted to say. Hatsumi-sensei makes many statements that are often contradictory (as you well know). This quote was not made specifically about this post but was part of another discussion which may have been of another context entirely which you have decided was pertinent to a statement you wanted to make. Also it sounds like it was made as an off the cuff remark at lunch. Finally your recollection may be slightly incorrect. A quote like this is made only to support what you want to say

But this is fine.

What I find worrying is when you write …

Quote:

kouryuu wrote:

Are you honestly telling me that to disagree with your post I need to fly to Japan and go to Hatsumi-sensei and debate with him on something you have quoted on the internet? You are just borrowing Hatsumi-sensei’s authority which I think is far more disrespectful (in a Japanese sense) than “not agreeing with everything Hatsumi-sensei says” which is not respect but just cultism.

Posted on: 2011/3/3 16:33

« 1 2 3 (4)

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor