村民 :: Villager

Posted on: 2010/10/20 10:52
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: A brief history of Japanese Budo
Villager
From Abbotsford, BC Canada
Group:
Good to know everything but Brasilian jiu-jitsu is fake budo designed to fool Westerners to use stuff useless in a real fight. Also, with jui-jitsu you don't need use weapons to defend yourself from armed bandits, if that is against your religion.

I've wasted so much time.

Chris

Posted on: 2010/10/21 8:23

Active Kutakian
Group:
a fake fight using jiu-jitsu:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKB-BEtVR8g

Posted on: 2010/10/21 10:29

"Don't ask me. I need time to practice rather than answering to it." - Harada Masanori

just playing the ONI's advocate!

Village Old Timer
Group:
議長 :: Mod
Wow, what a waste of skimming that article.

I don't quite understand how they would explain that BJJ came from "Fake (for westerners)JUDO?

Posted on: 2010/10/21 22:27

Village Old Timer
From Dayton, Ohio
Group:
I don't think it was a waste. Certainly it had a very unilateral perspective, but it does not take much imagination to see how a marginally historically educated (and partially brainwashed) grappler could get this perspective. It reveals a lot about them. We can see many very dangerous perspectives that Soke has warned us about.

In the US I like to read the "Tea Party" literature. It is very similar to the above article.

Marty

Posted on: 2010/10/22 1:10

Honorary Villager
From Belo Horizonte - Brazil
Group:
Don't take Helio's words too serious, guys. He was a hell of a good martial artist but he wasn't known for your theoretic knowledge about martial arts history.

Helio's way of marketing was always based in diminishing other martial arts to make BJJ look bigger. Sure, BJJ is one of the best training systems for ring fighting ever built, but everyone should know that what makes a good fighter goes beyond the school he practices.

You should not listen to much about 'academic' opinions coming from the old fighters from Brazil, the history of martial art in my country was built with the body activity and sweat, there was not much mind involved. The fact that we call a turbo-judo by the nam of Jiu-Jitsu it's enough to show our ignorance.

Posted on: 2010/10/22 6:46

Permanent Village Fixture
From Seattle
Group:
Quote:

mrdunsky wrote:

In the US I like to read the "Tea Party" literature. It is very similar to the above article.

Marty

Really ?
Obviously an opinion based on your personal political inclinations. I dont think its appropriate to say its actually similar.
Of course your free to argue your point.
And we can turn this into a thread about politics, debating back and forth for pages and pages. Sounds fun, but Naahh I'll pass.

Seriously though, kind of a dumb analogy in my opinion, on a few levels.

Posted on: 2010/10/22 14:12

Village Old Timer
Group:
Quote:

D_Cecc wrote:
Quote:

mrdunsky wrote:

Marty

Really ?
Obviously an opinion based on your personal political inclinations. I dont think its appropriate to say its actually similar.
Of course your free to argue your point.
And we can turn this into a thread about politics, debating back and forth for pages and pages. Sounds fun, but Naahh I'll pass.

Seriously though, kind of a dumb analogy in my opinion, on a few levels.

I can squint and kind of see the analogy, but I still think both Tea Party literature and the above article to be a complete waste in either case.

Posted on: 2010/10/22 14:24

Village Old Timer
From Dayton, Ohio
Group:
Okay Dom, one for the tea party column.

I think the article was completely political.

Marty

Posted on: 2010/10/22 15:03

Cant Stay Offline
From Sacramento, CA (USA)
Group:
村長 :: Admin
I'm not the expert on Brazilian martial arts, but I can tell you that not only did he just say those things, but he also sought to prove his point on the mat with all the various challenges - and laid the groundwork (no pun intended) for the UFC. Whether you agree or not with his points, you have to give him respect that he at least backed it up with action.

Look back at the old martial arts magazines from the 40's, 50's, 60's and up to the 90's (pre-UFC/MMA). You have to admit that what was being presented to the world was pretty cheezy, with flashy disco keiko gi uniforms, incredibly unrealistic martial arts movies, and so on. Anybody coming from the hard streets of a country like Brazil would call BS on it all. I know I would, and still do in many circumstances. I could see it as a lie, because I would know that the brutal reality from which these arts came from were not so romanticized, but just good ol' down and dirty fighting.

I'm not saying what he wrote is true, or that I'm an advocate of BJJ, but I can understand where he likely was coming from when he wrote it.

Posted on: 2010/10/22 23:56

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, or in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. ~ Thomas Jefferson

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor