Recent Topics

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

Bujinkan Budo Densho by Carsten Kuhn
Frequent Visitor
From Wingham NSW
Group:
村民 :: Villager
This series of books is a must for any student of Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu. So far only the Gyokko Ryu books has been translated from German into English.
It also has a glossary of Japanese terms for the techniques, it also features illustrations of the basic techniques that are in the Gyokko Ryu including Kamae, waza and footwork etc.

Posted on: 2010/10/29 8:52
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Bujinkan Budo Densho by Carsten Kuhn
Village Old Timer
Group:
議長 :: Mod
What a coincidence. We were just discussing that book (and some of the errors contained therein).

Posted on: 2010/10/29 12:25

Honorary Villager
Group:
Some additional ones have been released, the Togakure Ryu and the Kukishinden Ryu in English Version, for more info. go to:

http://passaic-bujinkan-buyu.setech-co.com/PBB-StoreE.html

Posted on: 2011/6/14 1:21
Tel. +1 (609) 379-BUYU (2898)
Fax. (484) 727-0538

Click here for Passaic Bujinkan Buyu website

Village Old Timer
Group:
From that website:

"Historical densho, which often have been composed in a cryptical way, are not suitable for daily training."

um.. what?

Historical densho are not suitable, but buy mine cause it has pictures...?

Posted on: 2011/6/14 11:37

Village Old Timer
From Dayton, Ohio
Group:
I don't know Carsten, but I have no problem with these books. As long as they are presented as one person's interpretation of what they have seen they can be very useful. It is no different than the myriad of DVDs out there. Perhaps collecting multiple points of view can give a person insight into the Kata you would otherwise have missed. Maybe we should especially attempt to collect the points of view of those we don't regularly train with.

It would be very difficult to get this information from Soke at his current training sessions because is has long gone beyond the kata in teaching his lessons. As a tool to stimulate training what is the harm? Some people are much more visual learners and need to see a more graphic description of movement.

I do have a little problem calling them "Densho", but I don't think they would sell if they were called "One Person's Thoughts".

Marty

Posted on: 2011/6/14 19:28

Village Old Timer
Group:
Quote:

mrdunsky wrote:
It is no different than the myriad of DVDs out there.

Don't get me started about the myriad of DVDs out there. ;)

Quote:

Perhaps collecting multiple points of view can give a person insight into the Kata you would otherwise have missed. Maybe we should especially attempt to collect the points of view of those we don't regularly train with.

For myself, I am not interested in others' viewpoints about Kata. I am only interested in Soke's and my teacher's viewpoint. Acquiring different viewpoints often leads to conflicting information.

Quote:

It would be very difficult to get this information from Soke at his current training sessions because is has long gone beyond the kata in teaching his lessons.

I agree, completely. Fortunately, Soke has trained some people in the kata very thoroughly who have in turn trained people in the kata very thoroughly. If you want to learn the kata thoroughly, you would need to get develop a relationship with one of these people.

Quote:

As a tool to stimulate training what is the harm?

There's no harm in stimulating training. When it takes the form of instruction and filling in the blanks you are not getting from an instructor then it is questionable.

Quote:

Some people are much more visual learners and need to see a more graphic description of movement.

Then they should be watching their instructor.

[/quote]
I do have a little problem calling them "Densho", but I don't think they would sell if they were called "One Person's Thoughts". [/quote]

This is part of the problem, in my view anyway. Why is he selling these at all? The act of transmission of something like densho indicates a serious relationship between a teacher and a student. The act of handing over a copy of a densho to a student is usually done after the teacher has taught the techniques to the student and indicates a high level of trust.

Selling books like this, akin to 'densho', when there is no teacher/student relationship is just a business venture. And the kata of the ryuha in the Bujinkan are not Mr. Kuhn's to sell.

Posted on: 2011/6/15 9:53

Honorary Villager
Group:
I am totally agree with Martin and at the same time with the last comment, however as some people makes DVDs, others write Books and others Online training sessions, which you use as additional tool in your martial arts training, well it is an individual decision, just use it as a reference because nothing replace the real martial arts training way: the knowledge is passing "I shin den shin" (I hope it is spelled right!) --> From my soul to your soul; so yes, Soke is the ultimate question and answer!

Posted on: 2011/6/15 12:01
Tel. +1 (609) 379-BUYU (2898)
Fax. (484) 727-0538

Click here for Passaic Bujinkan Buyu website

Active Kutakian
From Redmond, Washington
Group:
Hey there are a lot of good books on jazz out there. You can get sheet music as well as note transcriptions of great performances like Thelonius Monk playing at Newport Jazz Festival during the early 1960s. For someone trying to play jazz music who's stuck out in the middle of nowhere, it's not a completely terrible solution.

But for anyone who takes him/her self seriously as a jazz musician; anyone who strives to earn respect as a professional---they'll make the trip and perhaps the move to a city known for a hot scene and learn directly from a source.

I don't see a lot of difference with what we do. If you're stuck very far away from training directly with a top teacher, okay then. Someone's McDensho might be a decent resource to have for the year or two it takes you to re-organize your affairs in order to experience direct transmission of budo from a top instructor. And don't bleat about how difficult it is to do. If you're serious about your passion, whatever it is, you will spend the energy and time to discover who's good and where to find them.

Otherwise, you're a hobbyist. Note, there's no dishonor there so long as you're conscious that you're a hobbyist.

Budo should co-exist with "regular" life, meaning that it's one of many responsibilities. That's one reason to be extremely picky about your teacher as step 1 because there will be more than a few occasions when training is a near zero sum game with family or professional time. It's not romantic but stupid to prejudice your family or your career just to brag about the number of punches you've practiced. That said, you just as punked if you claim that because of these vast responsibilities you have no time to train unless it meshes smoothly with everything else.

That's the tension that forces you to go all out when you do carve out time to train. Books and DVDs are happy to lie around until you're finally "ready".

Life's short so choose well and take responsibility for it. Plenty of time to read books and watch videos when you're well and truly old.

Regarding Mr. Kuhn's "densho", yeah whatever. There's scads of published and digital budo bling out there anyway. Good luck to him and anyone who tries to learn from it.

Posted on: 2011/6/15 14:41

Village Old Timer
From Dayton, Ohio
Group:
There is something akin to buy a book on the "Buddha Palm Technique" involved. But look, it worked out well for the guy in Kung Foo Hustle!

Marty

Posted on: 2011/6/15 17:19

Active Kutakian
From South Carolina
Group:
Well, I ordered one today. Will see how it goes.

Leam

Posted on: 2011/6/16 7:41

(1) 2 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor