Recent Topics

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Bujinkan Budo Densho by Carsten Kuhn
Village Old Timer
From Matsudo City, Chiba, Japan
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Duncan, which part of the statement you are disappointed in. Go for it. I can guess where this is going....

Posted on: 2011/6/20 18:37

Kutaki Postmaster
Group:
Sorry Liz, it's none of my business actually.

Back on topic ...
I haven't seen these books as they aren't of much interest to me. Some teachers in Japan and overseas are very popular because they are good at teaching kata but they have a limited ability and understanding in my opinion. Shiraishi-sensei talked to me about this and said not to be concerned with the study of old forms.

I started training with Shiraishi-sensei in 1993 from memory and to this day consider him to be my teacher. His own dedicated training regime of over nine times a week, his hard study and experience receiving the technique of Hatsumi-sensei allows him to gain a deeper understanding of the foundation and internal structure of taijutsu beyond any other in my opinion.

I owe everything to his training and patient instruction. I think once your foundation is strong you can reproduce any of these old forms better than someone who only collects or studies "form".

One good punch or one good shuto or one good kansetsu waza is worth thousands of pages of collected technique.

I believe correct training and constant improvement is the key.

... but in budo, the most important things are LOYALTY and OBLIGATION.

Posted on: 2011/6/20 19:19
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Active Kutakian
From Boston, MA
Group:
I would throw HONESTY and DISCRETION in there too. We need a constant and honest self-appraisal to stay on the track of our choosing, as well as the willingness to take complete ownership of the choices we make.

The discretion part is where people will always differ. I don't think that will ever change. One man's choices will always look a little wrong (or a lot) to another who chooses differently. We all know we're right! ;)

I think that there's room for everyone and that courtesy is the key. The fool who persists in his folly can also prevail, and all that.

Posted on: 2011/6/21 3:07

Honorary Villager
Group:
New books were released, Kukishinden and Koto are the last ones and Shinden Fudo Ryu is in its way, more info:

http://passaic-bujinkan-buyu.setech-co.com/PBB-StoreE.html#MABD

Posted on: 2011/9/24 2:46
Tel. +1 (609) 379-BUYU (2898)
Fax. (484) 727-0538

Click here for Passaic Bujinkan Buyu website

Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
If these books help a person start in this art and create a desire to learn then they have done a good service. We can argue on whether or not they are "accurate" but that hangs on the knowledge each of us has been shown, which probably has differences. Kata and technique are not what is important, what IS important is the principle that those are based on. I think the best way to learn those is from a skilled teacher, you need to feel it on your own body.

Posted on: 2011/9/24 23:09

Honorary Villager
Group:
Agree 100% Sensei

Posted on: 2011/9/27 1:37
Tel. +1 (609) 379-BUYU (2898)
Fax. (484) 727-0538

Click here for Passaic Bujinkan Buyu website

Villager
From Lehighton PA
Group:
I just bought the Koto Ryu version of these books and I have to say that I rather enjoy having it. I have a notebook that I have put together from the experiences I've had training with others, but my artistic skills are a little lacking. I mainly use this densho book as a reference guide rather than a learning tool. I agree with most that the best way to learn this art is from a teacher, but when it comes to remembering the things you have learned, this book series seems very helpful.

Posted on: 2011/10/4 2:57

Kutaki Postmaster
Group:
Well Damien, I hope its not like the Gyokko Ryu one then cause that one didnt show one single kata correctly. Even if it had, dont you think its a bit rude publishing a "densho" on a ryu-ha your not even licensed in? It makes my skin creep...

Posted on: 2011/10/4 5:41

Cant Stay Offline
From Sacramento, CA (USA)
Group:
村長 :: Admin
議長 :: Mod
There is a difference between being shown A technique vs being shown THE technique. Those who seek books/videos as sources for learning techniques usually don't know the difference or even care as long as they are learning something.

But, the ones who do know the difference already tend to know THE technique and don't usually buy such materials.

Of course, just my opinion...

Posted on: 2011/10/4 7:54

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, or in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Village Old Timer
From Dayton, Ohio
Group:
Quote:

Darren wrote:
There is a difference between being shown A technique vs being shown THE technique.

After going to Japan in January during the Shindenfudoryu year, it was clearly illustrated that "The Technique" is intentionally very vague and open to interpretation. This allows a greater number of lessions to be learned from one technique. Just like the japanese language, it all depends on who is looking at it when, and how it is being interpreted.

I think it should be named something more accurate like "One look at the Kata". The whole Densho thing is ballsy.

Marty

Posted on: 2011/10/4 19:03

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor