schistkicker

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Bringing training weapons through the airport
Active Kutakian
From Savannah, GA
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Greetings Everyone,

The purpose of this post is actually for my own means because I could not find the information browsing around any sites. But the information shared here could help other travelers who buy training weapons in Japan and want to get them home.

I am aware that you cannot bring Iaido, Katana or any actual weapon (sharp or not) through certain airports as carry-on items. In fact, live blades require a license to own and they are mailed to you from Japan even if you pay for it here, as the Japan Sword Co. informed me in person when I stopped by.

I did buy a pair of bokken for training back in the US, thinking I could mail them easily, however the post office does not carry cardboard boxes that fit the bokken. I asked a few shop keepers but that size of a long narrow cardboard box suitable to be shipped is very hard to find.

So, I am hoping someone on here can tell me where I could buy a shinai bag to put the bokken in and make it a checked piece of luggage. I am thinking the store near the Ayase Budokan which is so popular among travelers here, however I dont know exactly where that store is. My last ditch effort to get these home is to buy a fishing pole bag and use that, but I don't know where to buy one of those either.

I am currently in Noda-Chiba and will be flying out this Tuesday night, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on: 2010/10/30 22:25
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Bringing training weapons through the airport
Village Old Timer
From San Francisco, California, USA
Group:
That little Budo shop near the Budokan is the best thing I can think of. If you're walking directly from Ayase Station to the Budokan it's on a corner, about 2/3 of the way toward the Budokan, on your left.

Posted on: 2010/10/31 2:48

Permanent Village Fixture
From Antelope, Ca.
Group:
On your way to the budokan look for the corner where buyu are gathered like flies on food.

Posted on: 2010/10/31 3:43
Nourished by the earth, I cultivate it.
Can you grapple with the fire?
Warmed by the fire I feed it.

Active Kutakian
From Winterpeg, Manitoba, Canada
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
If the Budoya by Ayase does not work out, there are two in Suidobashi that sell weapons bags.

They are fairly easy to find, but I am hesitant to try and write out directions if you have never been in that area. As you are still in country, maybe ask one of the resident foreigners or a more experienced visitor for directions/help.

Another thought... try to find a UPS/FedEX/DHL outlet. Doubt there is one in Noda-shi, but maybe Kashiwa?

Good luck.

Posted on: 2010/10/31 6:20

www.bujinkanmanitoba.ca
Find us on Facebook!

Frequent Visitor
From Kent, UK
Group:
If you can use google maps with streetview, here is a link to the main Suidobashi budo shop:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=tokyo ... r=Tokyo+Dome&ll=35.703372,139.754966&spn=0.003982,0.009141&z=17&layer=c&cbll=35.703461,139.755223&panoid=ydiYbNgYV65R62BY5E6qHA&cbp=12,49.38,,0,0.23

(It's the shop with the little truck parked outside)
It's just a few minutes north of Suidobashi station, with the Tokyo Dome being the main point of reference if you're stuck.

There is a harder to find budo store near kudanshita station (also central Tokyo). There is a map in the information section of the english website if you need it:
http://www.sakuraya.org/

I like this shop a lot. They have english pricelists online too - and stock bokken bags as well as some very good bokken, shinai etc. Look out for the cool weapons they have too inside:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid ... l=744a825bb4&id=666136756

Also, there are loads of great fishing tackle shops in Tokyo.
I bought several fishing rod bags from a store in Kanda called Tackleberry.
They are excellent quality, better than any bokken/shinai bags I've had and what's even better is that you don't look like some guy carrying weapons - you like like a peaceful fisherman.
The bags start at around 1000Y each - cheap!

There are links and directions here:
http://www.fishingjapan.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=256&start=0

Steve

Posted on: 2010/10/31 11:34

Village Old Timer
Group:
議長 :: Mod
You can check your training weapons, there is a counter you have to take them to at the airport. It is a bit of a hastle but you can do it.

They will inspect them first then they well check them.
Kind of painless, the only problem is if you have a nihonto. You need a permit and other papers to get them out of the country. If it is an iaito you should have no problems because they aren't sharp and secondly rarely steel.

Posted on: 2010/10/31 13:35

Active Kutakian
From Savannah, GA
Group:
Thanks everyone, only I asked for help too late to make it back to Tokyo to check out those spots. A friend took me to a department store in Kashiwa and I picked up what I think is a golf club bag for 1980 yen, perfect size, zippers, shoulder strap. Should be able to check it no problem, fits probably 6 shinai/bokken.

Appreciate all your prompt responses. I'm outta here tomorrow night, back to A-Stan, look forward to returning next year hopefully.

Posted on: 2010/11/1 0:20

Frequent Visitor
Group:
When flying out of Narita airport, I was told I needed to check my shinai at the counter, yet people were allowed to board with tennis rackets, baseball bats, etc...

Posted on: 2010/11/3 12:11

Active Kutakian
From Savannah, GA
Group:
I checked the bokken in a golf club bag with no issues.

Posted on: 2010/11/4 1:59

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor