Socialize

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

Bowing Ceremony?
Active Kutakian
From Boise, ID
Group:
村民 :: Villager
I have trained in Bujinmkan Taijutsu for over a decade. Rank was never really a focus so I'm not ranked very high, not really a big deal. But I live in Idaho and there isn't anyone teaching here so I'm running a very small, informal, training group. Hopefully we can get to the point where we can bring in some quality instructors for seminars. I am leading the group and we are doing the best we can. (anyone who lives in Idaho and wants to train with us pm me). My question is, should we be doing the formal bowing ceremony, or should we not? I'm not a shidishi or a shidoshi ho so I'm reluctant to do the ceremony and we never have, but it was always such an inspiring thing for me in my past schools and I'd like my group to experience it if it's okay to do. Thank you for the input!

Posted on: 2010/11/15 7:28
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Bowing Ceremony?
Village Old Timer
From Dayton, Ohio
Group:
There is nothing about the Bow In Ceremony that requires a shidoshi. It is your training, do what you want.

We tend to use it for the Kids classes but less often for the adult classes. It depends on our mood!

Marty

Posted on: 2010/11/15 8:42

Active Kutakian
From Boise, ID
Group:
thanks for the feedback, good to know. I know one of the Bujinkan schools I trained at only did the ceremony every so often. I just think it's a neat thing and I always was impressed with it and I'd like my training partners to experience as much of this style as possible, I just wanted to make sure I'm not over stepping my boundries.

Posted on: 2010/11/15 10:34

Kutaki Postmaster
Group:
Quote:

mrdunsky wrote:
There is nothing about the Bow In Ceremony that requires a shidoshi. It is your training, do what you want.

Quote:

YoruKage wrote:
thanks for the feedback, good to know.

Yeah, if Marty says it’s okay it must be fine then.

Posted on: 2010/11/15 12:10

Village Old Timer
From Dayton, Ohio
Group:
Duncan's vote of confidence is very reassuring. Someone else could have some concerns though...

Perhaps I should have said "As far as I know" there are no rules stating you must have a shidoshi to do a bow. I cannot speak for the entire bujinkan though.

You said you had an informal training group. Is there someone who acts as the "teacher" of the group? Is this who will be bowed to, or will you do more of a community bow in a circle? If someone is playing the role of teacher or if you are advertising yourself as a Bujinkan School you will need to be attached to a Shidoshi somewhere and become a Shidoshi-Ho.

Marty

Posted on: 2010/11/15 14:26

Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
I've never heard of or seen any restrictions about the use of the bow in ceremony needing a shidoshi for it to be done. It is an indication of respect for our Art and Soke as well as a means of putting the trainees in a good mental space. I would think that would always be acceptable.

Posted on: 2010/11/15 23:42

Village Old Timer
Group:
It might be the "Sensei ni rei" in some dojos that could lead to a confusion.

In other arts, you typically only bow in with and towards a teacher, and when there isn't a teacher you simply bow in towards the shomen.

Posted on: 2010/11/15 23:55

Frequent Visitor
Group:
Quote:

RJHIII wrote:
It might be the "Sensei ni rei" in some dojos that could lead to a confusion.

In this case you could change that greeting to "sempai ni rei" i guess.

Posted on: 2010/11/16 1:06

Villager
From Lehighton PA
Group:
Now, I have yet to visit Japan, but I'm hoping to make my first venture in the upcoming year. Before I go, I plan on getting as much advise as possible from friends who frequest Japan. But from what I understand (and I may be wrong), the bowing ceremony is common practice in Japan. So despite personal feelings on the matter, it might be good to have it in a dojo for educational purposes.

Posted on: 2010/11/16 2:24

Village Old Timer
Group:
Quote:

Damien wrote:
Now, I have yet to visit Japan, but I'm hoping to make my first venture in the upcoming year. Before I go, I plan on getting as much advise as possible from friends who frequest Japan. But from what I understand (and I may be wrong), the bowing ceremony is common practice in Japan. So despite personal feelings on the matter, it might be good to have it in a dojo for educational purposes.

I don't understand what you mean?

Bowing is a part of Japanese culture and life. It doesn't just happen in the dojo.

Posted on: 2010/11/16 2:46

(1) 2 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor