Register now!
Socialize

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Iga and Koga difference??
Occasional Visitor
From Eastern US
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Hello, figured i would ask people who would know something about the art instead of reading info on the internet by sources who claim to be students and or masters of ninjutsu. I have found numerous sources on Iga ninjutsu, but extremely limited info on Koga, and was wondering what the differences between the two are, and if there is any connection between the two. thanks in advance for any help,
greg

Posted on: 2010/12/16 10:56
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Iga and Koga difference??
Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
You need your full name Greg, to be recognized here, please correct that.

Posted on: 2010/12/16 11:23

Just Passing Through
From Australia
Group:
Someone more qualified than I shall correct me if I am wrong, I am sure. The simplistic answer to your questions. Iga and Koga was (is) a region in Japan. They were two mountains divided by a valley . The people living in the area would have had some sort of contact or cross contact with each other . The extent and depth of that contact would be at best, a guesstimate, by even the most informed expert imho ! It is generally accepted by most people (not all) that Koga Ninjutsu died out or was absorbed into other schools styles etc , or what ever way you like to describe them. There was a guy whom claimed to be the last Soke of Koga ninjutsu, whom publicly admitted that he was not sure if that was what he had been taught by his Grandfather . He though was said to be a talented Martial artist. He was also very upfront about his training and uncertainties about his and his Grandfathers claims to the Sokeship of this style. Gambatte !
Kajisan sticks his fingers in his ears and wiggle them at Papasan while pulling a funny face and going Ner ner na ner ner ! I signed my name before you could hit me with your big Kutaki stick. Daniel Bowley

Posted on: 2010/12/16 11:25

Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
Good Man Daniel!!! LOL!! Now I see that Greg has done the same thing. Thanks Greg.

Posted on: 2010/12/16 23:07

Active Kutakian
From SLC,Ut
Group:
something i once heard, and its just that.... koga and iga family founders may have been 2 brothers, that simply settled on different hills.... (i am fully calling this 'just a rumor")

Posted on: 2010/12/17 5:06

Occasional Visitor
From Eastern US
Group:
I was asking because after searching for ninjutsu online, there are several schools who claim to be teaching Koga ninjutsu, and from what I have read, the Bujinkan is the only certified ninjutsu school todate. I was only curious if this was a load of BS or if there is a small fraction of instructors out there who are who they say they are. anyways thanks guys, and sorry for the lack of info Ed.

Greg

Posted on: 2010/12/17 5:44

Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
Get Phillip Hevener's book, "Fujita Seiko the last koga ninja" . Phillip did a lot of research on this and found that Fujita stated in his memoirs that he would not pass his ninjutsu on to anyone, he would die with it.

Posted on: 2010/12/17 10:32

Active Kutakian
From Boise, ID
Group:
I'm not enough of an expert in the history to give my own opinion, but I do know that some martial arts forums, such as e-budo, won't allow any discussion of Koga ninjutsu, or allow anyone claiming to teach it, to post any threads on the subject. This is because it seems to be generally accepted that Koga region ninja families do not have any practicing schools and there doesn't seem to be any recognition of those claiming to be Koga schools like there is with the schools in the Bujinkan.

Posted on: 2010/12/17 10:33

Kutaki Postmaster
From DC, USA
Group:
Quote:

Kajisan wrote:
Someone more qualified than I shall correct me if I am wrong, I am sure. The simplistic answer to your questions. Iga and Koga was (is) a region in Japan. They were two mountains divided by a valley . The people living in the area would have had some sort of contact or cross contact with each other . The extent and depth of that contact would be at best, a guesstimate, by even the most informed expert imho !

You would think so, but you might be surprised. I was in England for the 1991 Tai Kai. During the next week, I went to attend some training in Guildford. I stopped at a nearby town, probably within 5 miles, and asked for directions. No one I talked to had any idea how to get there. Might be an island-nation kind of thing.

Posted on: 2010/12/17 22:47

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor