Socialize

Recent Topics

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Anyone tried Rosetta Stone?
Occasional Visitor
From Eastern US
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Has anyone tried the Rosetta Stone products before, and if so what is your opinion on it? Being active duty military I can get a huge discount on it, if not totally free, but if it is all hype and doesn't work, then whats the point.

Thanks guys,
Greg

Posted on: 2010/12/17 5:48
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Anyone tried Rosetta Stone?
Just Passing Through
Group:
Hi Greg,
I rate this system for self study. Of course you will have to put the effort in and you may need some external coaching/teaching, but it is much easier to pick up and immerse yourself in this software than any CD or book I ever tried.
I tried Chinese level 1 in 2005 for about 1 month and was very happy with the results, unfortunately I lost my CD. Obviously the software version is probably even better now, you might still be able to get a sample version in the language of your choice to try before you buy.
Hope that helps.

Posted on: 2010/12/22 4:59

Frequent Visitor
From Loveland, CO
Group:
It's essentially a flash card program. Overpriced for what you get if you ask me. There's no explanation, just 4 pictures and some text, over and over again. However, it is structured so that understanding of one thing builds into the next, but no explanation of sentence structures or anything.

From disk one; Hikooki no naka ni iru, otokonoko. Then 2 pictures with a boy and a plane and two unrelated pictures. One picture is a boy sitting in a plane, one is the boy standing near the plane.etc...

For the money I was certainly expecting a much more interactive experience but alas. I think it's a great compliment to any other materials you might have or get.

Posted on: 2010/12/27 11:53

Village Old Timer
From Istanbul Turkiye
Group:
Hi Greg,
I say ''stay away!'' as they do not teach you the language but make you become a parrot! You only realize that when you meet a Japanese talking friend I have been there.
Try this link , it was advised by a very good friend of mine who lives in Japan ;

www.japanesepod.101.com

Still maybe you need to use this as a side kick not a basic study.
Good luck!

Posted on: 2010/12/27 20:49
-----------------------------------------

Villager
From Abbotsford, BC Canada
Group:
I like the Pimsleur program because it was all on CD and I could play it my car while I drove around. It builds over time with lots of recursion to past lessons, and they start asking you questions to which you must respond.

Chris

Posted on: 2010/12/28 3:51

Permanent Village Fixture
From Northeast Pa, USA
Group:
I would rate it as "Perfectionists need not apply".

It uses a "direct learning metaphor" (which you can see described above) that is not appropriate for everybody. It works for those that can sit through the whole thing; feedback isn't very clear at first, which is why I don't like it.

I much prefer Pimsleur (q.v.), but YMMV.

Even if you don't have access to it through your government channels, you can get a "sampler" from the company (free IIRC). I would suggest you try it for yourself.

Posted on: 2010/12/29 2:51

Just Passing Through
Group:
I think some people have raised a key point, it depends on how you like to learn. Rosetta is good for me because the system actually starts getting you to 'think' in the foreign language and create logical spatial relationships between the images, sounds and writing. However it is a little bit of logical elimination at times, which is fine, because that is all learning too if you like it that way.
I remember the boy in the plane lesson, and by then both 'plane' and 'boy' were known words so it was easy to see which part meant 'on' the plane or 'in' the plane etc. It is basically like learning as a baby/child and figuring out the world from scratch instead of building up a list of useful phrases and a vocabulary. Sure the system fell down a few times and I had to look things up, but that was fine. Personally I can not stand repetitious learning, so you know what? I am going to buy Rosetta Stone again actually!

Hey Greg, you don't secretly work them do you?

Posted on: 2011/1/4 6:49

Just Passing Through
From usa
Group:
Well..I loved the Israeli Bujinkan site. A ton of great info. However..it did lead me to my next question. "Ninpo Ik-kan Magokoro Ni Masare". Is that said ONLY at the end of each class, or also at the beginning of class before "Shikin Haramitsu Daikomyo"? Also, is it "Old school" like Doron "old school"? I look forward to hearing more about this! Thanks, buyu! -Adam

Posted on: 2014/10/13 20:44

Just Passing Through
From Darlington, England
Group:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1568363850 ... PNFH&coliid=I8KSCBVJ1XYX1

I have been told that this is the best book to start with

Posted on: 2015/10/4 18:11

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor