Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

13 Injured in Toride Knife Attack
村長 :: Sonchou
From Chiba, Japan
Group:
村長 :: Admin
村民 :: Villager
One of my students, Tim, just reported this on Facebook. A knife-wielding attacker boarded two buses full of school kids in Toride and started stabbing people. Toride is one station from where I live, and I held my Saturday trainings there for 9 years. "Strikes close to home" is a bit of a pun, I guess. Here's the BBC report:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12015165

Japan doesn't seem to be as safe as it used to be...

Shawn

Posted on: 2010/12/17 13:00
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: 13 Injured in Toride Knife Attack
Just Passing Through
From Australia
Group:

Posted on: 2010/12/17 15:43

Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Shawn, it can happen in any country at any time. That is why more people need to train and get the skills to stop an attacker. This art DOES hold those skills!

Posted on: 2010/12/18 1:04

Cant Stay Offline
From Sacramento, CA (USA)
Group:
Aside from the questions I have regarding the facts of what happened, it's important to understand just how dangerously difficult subduing a knife attacker really is. The fact that he was able to gain entry to 2 buses of kids, stabbing everybody, shows just how much damage a crazy, slashing guy can inflict.

Tactically, this is a very different scenario than the usual dojo training where you have one guy (uke) with a large wooden/rubber tanto. When you add the chaos of mass hysteria from all those kids and adults trying to escape, the crowded environment of being on a bus, plus the attacker constantly running about stabbing at random (instead of focusing on just one person), it becomes almost impossible to stop him unless you are able to cut off his ability to keep going or can intercept and decisively stop him.

In those situations, I wonder how much the combat ability of those who stopped him played a factor, versus the attacker simply running out of steam from running and slashing/stabbing over and over and over... Truly scary...

Praise be that nobody died. I can't imagine what the parents of these kids went through. I can't even contemplate what I would feel if my child was on one of those buses...

Posted on: 2010/12/18 2:00

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, or in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
Of course Darren this is a very dangerous situation I don't mean to ever demean the danger one would face. My point is that with no skills you just become another victim and he moves on to harm another person. With skills you at least have a chance of stopping him and staying safe. I would hope no one here finds themselves in such a situation, but as our world becomes more violent the chances increase of having to deal with things like this. It is far better to have trained before it happens!

Posted on: 2010/12/18 11:56

Cant Stay Offline
From Sacramento, CA (USA)
Group:
Papa-san, I wasn't inferring anything from your comment. In fact, you are right - we need to train in order to be able to stop such events. My point was geared as a reality check on the kind of unique situation this unfortunate event presents. This is why training to be able to see past the techniques to a more tactical (i.e. big picture) level is so vitally important.

Posted on: 2010/12/18 14:12

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, or in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
We are in complete agreement on that Darren! We must look beyond just the "techniques" to creative responses too. No two attacks will be exactly the same, so no "one" response will be what is needed.

Posted on: 2010/12/19 0:40

Village Old Timer
From Istanbul Turkiye
Group:
About 14 years ago when I had the security company, there was a gang made into a concert with knifes and stabbed more than 20 people. In every few minutes a wounded was comnig to the first aid place. We go the guys (4 guys) and we got 5 wounded to do that
Ofcourse techniques help you a lot but the behaviour and confidence (that also comes from training too) is the key. We all must know that involving into a knife fight (or any fight) can get you killed ,or you can kill someone and get into Jail (and maybe the guy you killed had a family of 5000 who will chase you till you are dead) if you do not have a problem with that go for it
I think knife is much more dangerous than guns as it is sneaky and you do not need to load it.
No Dojo can get you ready for that but may give you the fundemantals to survive...the key is experience, guts, behaviour, talent and luck.
My 2 cents.

Posted on: 2010/12/19 4:22
-----------------------------------------

Villager
From Lehighton PA
Group:
I think that if someone was attacking me with a knife, the last thing I would be thinking about would be the attackers family or prison. If someone attacks with such a deadly weapon, my feeling is that all bets are off. I will be doing whatever needs to be done to incapacitate the attacker.

And I absolutly agree that a knife is an extremely dangerous weapon, if for no other reason, it's ease of availability. That is why, I feel, it should be used often in the dojo. The more we train with knives in the dojo, the more comfortable (for lack of a better word) I get with it.

Papa-san does a lot of seminars on the subject of knife defense and I can't get enough of it. Every hour of training can only increase your chances of surviving the real thing.

Posted on: 2010/12/21 2:52

Village Old Timer
From Istanbul Turkiye
Group:
Quote:

Damien wrote:
I think that if someone was attacking me with a knife, the last thing I would be thinking about would be the attackers family or prison. If someone attacks with such a deadly weapon, my feeling is that all bets are off. I will be doing whatever needs to be done to incapacitate the attacker.

I understand you but see the level you mentioned is low...just to save the moment and kill (or badly wound) the attacker is a low level of Taijutsu. You must be able to controll the situation. Sometimes being stabbed a few times is better than killing someone as I mentioned above but I understand the cultural differences. Probably you can never understand what I am talking about the family thing
Soke also talks about this, he says a bad Budoka can kill you but a good Budoka can save both lives.
I hope I could explain my self, if not no worries and have fun training my friend.

Posted on: 2010/12/21 18:10
-----------------------------------------

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor