Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: Earthquake!
村長 :: Sonchou
From Chiba, Japan
Group:
村長 :: Admin
村民 :: Villager
Just got off the phone with Shiraishi Sensei. He was at the Hombu Office with Soke when the quake hit. Stuff was falling down all around, but they're ok. No injuries or structural damage. The Hombu Dojo building is also ok.

Posted on: 2011/3/12 10:08
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Village Old Timer
From Matsudo City, Chiba, Japan
Group:
Thank you Shawn for confirmation everyone is ok I'm ok, too.

I hope that all our buyu in Japan are safe, at home with their families and friends. I heard from so many friends from Japan and abroad. thank you.

Shawn, can you confirm Tepco (Tokyo Elec) will have rolling blackouts?

Posted on: 2011/3/12 17:44

From Chiba, Japan
Group:
Hi Liz,

I've been relying on the BBC for most of my news since there has historically been so much delay, inaccuracy, and cover-up'ing in Japanese media with incidents like this in the past - like the Tokai Mura nuclear incident.

I haven't heard anything about rolling blackouts, but have prepared with stores of gasoline, kerosene, batteries, food and water. My ofuro bathtub is now filled with water as a storage tank just in case.

BBC has an ongoing live broadcast on their website (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12307698) which I think is pretty much up to the minute on what is going on. I have that playing in the background while I continue to clean up my apartment so that I can keep up on things. Again though, I haven't heard anything about rolling blackouts.

Like Shiraishi Sensei always says, "Best preparation from, best action do."

Shawn

Posted on: 2011/3/12 20:41

Active Kutakian
From Barcelona (Spain)
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
We are very sorry here for the disaster in Japan.
We pray specially for all Bujinkan people, their families and friends are safe.
Our best wishes from the heart.
Bujinkan Bushi Dojo - Barcelona - Spain

Posted on: 2011/3/12 23:45

Dani Esteban -Koryu-
Bujinkan Bushi Dojo
Barcelona (Spain)
http://bushidojo.wordpress.com

Honorary Villager
From New Zealand
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
So how normal is life in Tokyo at the moment?
It is hard to get a perspective when most of the news focus is on Sendai.
Booked to fly in Tuesday, is there still training or do people need help in getting things back to normal-happy to help either way.
Thanks for the insight from the postings on here so far.

Posted on: 2011/3/13 5:18

Deleted_
What is the status of Chiba? Is there any flooding in Chiba? Are there continual earthquakes that can be felt? What aid can be provided to help?

Posted on: 2011/3/13 9:02

Village Old Timer
From Matsudo City, Chiba, Japan
Group:
Thank you, Shawn, for the BBC link.

NHK is continuously broadcasting in English.
Mainichi Shinbun Chiba-ken report from yesterday (the latest on their website) indicates that 17 people were injured across the prefecture, 3 elderly people died from shock, and that there were tsunami, but nothing like what you saw eating Sendai City.

We got off lucky in the Boso Peninsula,, Chiba Prefecture.

Posted on: 2011/3/13 12:20

From Chiba, Japan
Group:
The situation in Tokyo is fairly normal except that it is very quiet (its the weekend) and grocery and convenience store shelves have been emptied as people stock up on supplies "just in case".

The East coast of Chiba Prefecture was hit pretty hard by the tsunami (like Kujukuri village where I sometimes go to the beach), but the area where Kashiwa and Noda are is at the very tip of Chiba Prefecture, quite far away from the coast. No real chance of a tsunami here. We are basically just picking things up and cleaning up after the quake, and also keeping a very close eye on the news to see what is happening with the nuclear reactors. That's the big concern right now.

Kashiwa is approximately 230 km from "Fukushima 1", the plant where they had the building explode. They are still trying to get things under control there, and in the meantime there are stories of trouble at another nuclear facility in Miyagi Prefecture.

Training at Hombu Dojo went on pretty much as normal this morning, although there were very few locals at the dojo - almost all visitors. There were 1 or 2 aftershocks that hit during the tea break in training. Soke just kind of chuckled and didn't seem to mind the fact that he was sitting directly under one of the air conditioning units hanging from the ceiling. He told us that the Japanese media is always late getting news out, so that we should keep an eye on foreign news services to get a better indication of what is going on. He didn't seem to concerned about nuclear effects reaching as far as Noda. I have things packed and ready to relocate to a friend's place a couple of hundred km further away if necessary.

The head of the Japanese Meteorological Agency said that there is a 70% chance of an aftershock of a magnitude of at least 7 hitting within the next 3 days. This could possibly further damage nuclear facilities. All ports in Japan are currently closed. I'm not sure what the situation at Narita is as far as flights coming and going, but a friend sent a photo of the inside of the airport ticketing area, and it looks like complete mayhem.

That's about all I know at this time. I'm keeping my eyes / ears glued to the BBC for news about the nuclear status, and will be making decisions based on that.

Best wishes,
Shawn

Posted on: 2011/3/13 16:55

Honorary Villager
From Manhattan Beach California
Group:
thanks for letting everyone know. Glad that Hombu and the Buyu near there are OK.

Posted on: 2011/3/13 20:48
Soke Hatsumi.

Villager
From Germany
Group:
yep, many thanks for letting us know![quote]

Posted on: 2011/3/14 3:36

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »