Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Getabako
Frequent Visitor
From Kalamazoo, Mi
Group:
村民 :: Villager
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Greetings Everyone,

Quick question for all of you fortunate enough to be residents in Japan. In your experience, these days how do you find that people arrange their shoes when placed in the getabako (when they are available)? Toes pointing out, or heel pointing out? Mixed?

I've done some research and I'm unsure as to if there was a "traditional" way (i.e. toes out), or if over the course of time- if such a custom existed- perhaps it is not paid attention to as closely as it once may have been.

To be clear, I'm curious about the "shoe cupboard"...not other aspects/possibilities of footwear placement, etc, so on.

Regards and Thanks,
Jed

Posted on: 2011/5/4 0:47
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Getabako
村長 :: Sonchou
From Chiba, Japan
Group:
村長 :: Admin
Hi Jed,

I've always seen them with the heel pointing out, toe in.
Are you building one for your dojo?

Shawn

Posted on: 2011/5/4 17:46

Frequent Visitor
From Kalamazoo, Mi
Group:
Hi Shawn,

Thanks for the info! No, nothing like that. I have some shoe racks that serve me pretty well at this point (although that would be really nice).

My curiosity was more if people arranged things in a getabako similar to shoe placement in the entrance to homes/buildings (on the floor). I suppose my main interest is in "tradition" and how over time these traditions change- sometimes due to necessity, and sometimes due to the lessons that are contained within those traditions being lost, or neglected due to ignorance.

I find the simple act of removing your shoes in someone's home/business, and the owner re-arranging them so that they are ready for you to slip on in the direction of exit a very pleasing exercise in kindness and appreciation. In my opinion, those are two things that can never be overly abundant.

Regards,
Jed

Posted on: 2011/5/4 22:55

Village Old Timer
From Matsudo City, Chiba, Japan
Group:
I work in schools, and bring my own "uwabaki", indoor use shoes, with me. I watch my superiors who are fastidious about manners, and they invariably point their shoes toes towards the door. In the getabako, I've seen toes in,heels out.

A Buddhist monk described how toes pointing towards the door make exits more efficient, and I suspect that heels out in the getabako likewise makes for a smooth exit - the toes are pointing forward.

Posted on: 2011/5/5 10:27

Frequent Visitor
From Kalamazoo, Mi
Group:
Hi Liz,

Thanks! Good info all around. Although, I may have to play gaijin and put mine in the wrong direction if it gives me a few extra moments at a temple when I'm visiting ;)

Regards,
Jed

Posted on: 2011/5/6 23:23

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor