Certificates 0 2018/5/8 4:34
schistkicker

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Sword Inspection (Dating)
Active Kutakian
From Savannah, GA
Group:
村民 :: Villager

A friend of mine just inherited 2 swords from his late-grandfather which he acquired while stationed overseas in WW2. He asked me to find someone who could inspect these and verify their authenticity and possibly date them. They appear to be real due to the shape of the hamon. I am hoping someone here could recommend anyone that could disassemble the tsuka and inspect/translate the mei (if there is one). He is currently living in the Fort Bragg, NC area. As always, any suggestions, comments or questions are welcome.

Posted on: 2011/7/18 4:26

Re: Sword Inspection (Dating)
Village Old Timer
Group:
議長 :: Mod
鑑定 (sword appraisal) is a hobby of mine and I always love a chance to see blades. Removing the tsuka should not be difficult and he should be able to take the tsuka off himself and get pictures. Just remove the mekugi (peg) and if the handle does not come off easily hold it below the tsuba with one hand and using your other hand form a fist and strike your own hand a few times to shake the tsuka loose enough to remove it.

If you want an accurate appraisal of the blades you will need to inspect the hamon, the kissaki, and boshi (hamon in the kissaki) closely. The signature may not be enough and could also be fake.

I'd love to see pics of it even if he can't remove the handle.

Posted on: 2011/7/18 14:37
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Sword Inspection (Dating)
Active Kutakian
From Savannah, GA
Group:
Sounds great! I can send you photos by the end of the week attached to an email if you would send me your address.

~Jarod

Posted on: 2011/7/19 14:09

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor