« 1 (2) 3 »

Unsubscribed
Re: When to 'draw the line'
Deleted_Unsubscribed
Quote:

mcronin wrote:

that is the measure of a man.

Actually, no....it isn’t.

The real measure of a man is how he lives his life every day, encompassing far more than how he expresses himself on a discussion forum.

Hence the expression “talk is cheap”.

- Mark Spada

Posted on: 2011/10/7 9:36
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Kutaki Postmaster
From Norway
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Well you can call a spade for a spade, or you can decorate it with silk ribbons and paint it pink and name it whatever- it is still a spade.

Posted on: 2011/10/7 9:41

Kutaki Postmaster
From Norway
Group:
[Quote]The real measure of a man is how he lives his life every day [/Quote]
This.

PS! Evidently Mark is a faster writer than me and got in a few posts while I was writing, so my spade comment was in reply to Mcronins post.

Posted on: 2011/10/7 16:11

Active Kutakian
From Australia
Group:
Touché, however while "talk is cheap" and "calling a spade a spade" is an admirable quality... you "can't buy class".

Call me a quantum hippy, but I'd rather use words to build than destroy.

Converse sub-text: "It's all in the vibe".

Posted on: 2011/10/7 16:30

Village Old Timer
From Dayton, Ohio
Group:
I like to call a spaid a neuter! And while "talk is cheap", some talk is just plain trash. There is not only "not any value" in this discussion, it has a negative value on those who participate - which is now including me too.

I feel so dirty!

Marty

Posted on: 2011/10/7 17:07

Kutaki Postmaster
From Norway
Group:
"And it goes on and on - it's heaven and hell...."

This is never going to end. It would be nice to end this with the wisdom of "shut up and train!" but to some that would be considered a rude thing to say.

I propose to the owner of this forum to just give all participants in this and the related treads a couple of weeks ban, no matter what little or much has been said.

Posted on: 2011/10/7 17:52

Active Kutakian
From Australia
Group:
This discussion, neh forum, is merely an extension of our daily 'actions', though more (or less) cerebral.

These (our) actions are date stamped forever in the ether: what is your legacy?

The strategy and counter-poise is analogous to the non-physical world that influences our daily lives (assuming one is not a hermit, then again arguable vv fallout or rising sea levels). To limit the scope of training to rolling, punching, sword play, etc. is, in my view, naive.

We're just starting.

Posted on: 2011/10/7 20:09

Unsubscribed
Deleted_Unsubscribed
Quote:

mcronin wrote:
This discussion, neh forum, is merely an extension of our daily 'actions', though more (or less) cerebral.

These (our) actions are date stamped forever in the ether: what is your legacy?

The strategy and counter-poise is analogous to the non-physical world that influences our daily lives (assuming one is not a hermit, then again arguable vv fallout or rising sea levels). To limit the scope of training to rolling, punching, sword play, etc. is, in my view, naive.

We're just starting.

More than a few people have remarked that, upon meeting me and spending some time with me, I was wholly unlike what they anticipated based on the entity that they knew from these forums. I think that would be obvious given the fact that, like facebook, the forum is less an extension of my daily actions than it is a representation of what I want you to see; you only get to handle choice bits and pieces that, even when massed together, are still mere hints of the real person.

Formulating a meaningful and distinct conclusion about who someone is based upon what they say amongst strangers they don’t care about and who in no way whatsoever impact their daily lives is grossly naive.

“Do you think that your fathers are watching? That they weigh you in their ledgerbook? Against what? There is no book and your fathers are dead in the ground.” - Cormac McCarthy

Your legacy is something that ultimately only you care about.

- Mark Spada

Posted on: 2011/10/7 22:12

Active Kutakian
From Boston, MA
Group:
I see posting on line as being similar in ways to driving a car in heavy traffic. The tendency to exaggerate the seeming incompetence of other drivers is very strong and we are quick to objectify anyone who slows us down or gets in our way as an "IDIOT!"

The reality, though, is that behind every windshield is another person who is way more like us than they are unlike us. When we pound on the horn, shout out the window and flip them off, we are affecting another human being and not just the 1 dimensional idealized 'idiot' we have in mind.

It happens and nothing much usually comes of it, but I honestly think it would be better for all concerned if it happened less, on the highway and on the forums.

Posted on: 2011/10/8 0:10

Unsubscribed
Deleted_Unsubscribed
Quote:

Shimajiro wrote:
I see posting on line as being similar in ways to driving a car in heavy traffic. The tendency to exaggerate the seeming incompetence of other drivers is very strong and we are quick to objectify anyone who slows us down or gets in our way as an "IDIOT!"

The reality, though, is that behind every windshield is another person who is way more like us than they are unlike us. When we pound on the horn, shout out the window and flip them off, we are affecting another human being and not just the 1 dimensional idealized 'idiot' we have in mind.

It happens and nothing much usually comes of it, but I honestly think it would be better for all concerned if it happened less, on the highway and on the forums.

I see your point, but I disagree with your ( inherently flawed ) analogy: I’m driving my car because I need to get somewhere; it’s a very potent reminder that we have to share the physical space with other people, whether we want to or not.

The forum isn’t a necessity. It’s an indulgence. When that person in the car ahead of us is driving too slow or wavering around obviously inebriated or talking on a cell phone and drinking from a coffee mug, they are potentially endangering us and other people. There is no inherent danger in the forum, rendering it an impotent field for directly impacting our lives.

Like it or not, we are all “keyboard warriors” here. The only possible difference between myself, for example, and someone else is that I don’t feel the need to edit myself when someone is expressing defensive belligerence over a difference of opinion simply because it’s in the “ether”; I am capable and willing to cash in person every single check my grubby little fingers type up here.

Caveat emptor: can’t or won’t abide disagreement? Stay off-line and enjoy your life.

- Mark Spada

Posted on: 2011/10/8 0:30

« 1 (2) 3 »

Topic is Locked

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor