Socialize

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Interesting Article
Village Old Timer
Group:
村民 :: Villager
議長 :: Mod
http://kenshi247.net/blog/2011/08/09/ikeda-yuji/

As some of you may know, I also do kendo among other things. Martial arts (Japanese) share common roots and notions about discipline and training. Given this I think we can learn from other martial arts while training and perfecting our own martial art.

I personally like these two comments:

剣道は理屈じゃないんだ。自分から求めてガンガンやるんだ。やったら、ハッとわかる。
Kendo isn’t about theory. Its about seeking yourself through intense keiko. If you do this you will come to understand.

and

剣道は和なんだ。相手がいるんだからね。相手の気持ちを汲むんだ。一人でやるもんじゃないんだ。
Kendo is about harmony. You have a partner after all. You must consider your opponents feeling. Kendo isn’t something you can do on your own after all.

and one more lol...

守破離というもんは繰り返すもんだ。何段までが守で、何段までが破で、何段以上が離というものじゃないって、わしゃ言うんだ。いくつになっても基本に戻りなさいって言うんだ。
“Shu-ha-ri” is something you repeat over and over. Whatever grade you become “shu,” whatever grade you became “ha,” its not “once you get to x-dan” then you are now in the “ri” stage, at least this is what I believe. It doesn’t matter what grade you are, you must always return to basics.

Posted on: 2011/10/13 15:45

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Interesting Article
Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
We are eternally a student, forget that and you really lose your way.

Posted on: 2011/10/14 0:11

Villager
From Lehighton PA
Group:
Pretty cool. I think its more about the learning than a specific martial art. I like the fact that you can substitute the word kendo in any of those statements with another martial art and it still rings true.

All good thoughts, each worthy of their own thread.

Posted on: 2011/10/14 6:17

Honorary Villager
Group:
Replace Kendo with any spiritual lineage name, and the message sounds the same as well. Perhaps it is one of those universal truths... Any activity, if given enough focus and effort becomes a spiritual one? Shosan Suzuki promoted that perspective.

Posted on: 2011/10/15 4:29

Active Kutakian
From Boston, MA
Group:
I like the idea of the importance of harmony with your training partner. Too much focus on simply 'beating' (as in besting ; ) the uke can cause one (both really) to lose the point of whatever it is that's being shown.

"Ha ha! I won!"

But actually lost, because the point of the exercise was to explore and hopefully experience something that's new, and not simply to apply something already known.

Harmony with an attacker in real life almost seems to imply a sort of Mushin, in which you aren't acting/reacting out of fear or anger but are rather, in very small increments, taking things as they come and responding naturally and effectively, never losing sight of the greater whole/goal.

Posted on: 2011/10/15 4:41

Honorary Villager
From Nanaimo, BC, Canada
Group:
To me, the first two comments strike me as an insight into the Japanese concept of "Wa" via budo. Not wrong in any way, but I think it is worth noting that this runs through every corner of their society and daily life.

Shu ha ri is a common theme among Japanese budo and I'll bet it extends beyond that. I never heard Soke speak of it though, only the westerners, so I sometimes wonder what his perspective on it might be.

Posted on: 2011/11/4 6:56

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor