Recent Topics

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Intensive Rolling
Active Kutakian
From Boston, MA
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Thinking back to my own early experiences, I can recall seeing more advanced students rolling out of a technique and thinking, "That's cool! I want to learn that" and getting drawn into it that way.

It may even be that you live at a higher altitude or something and people in your area are just more sensitive to the motion-induced queasiness.

If you're losing new students because they're not feeling comfortable with the rolling, then personally I would definitely tailor the beginning training to focus less on rolling, and teach it mainly in the context of other basic techniques. I *would* make a certain, basic degree of proficiency mandatory for a later level of training (5th kyu and beyond) as it is difficult to impossible to train safely at that point without it. Chances are, though, if they've stuck it through that long, they've already seen something of value in the training and will be more apt to persevere as needed to break some barriers in their ukemi.

Posted on: 2011/12/1 8:58
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Active Kutakian
From Savannah, GA
Group:
Ukemi is cake if you are physically fit, join a Crossfit gym, it will change your life and increase your taijutsu 1000%.

This link should answer your question before you ask it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzD9BkXGJ1M

Posted on: 2011/12/2 14:31

Villager
From Missouri
Group:
I learn a lot from my teacher Sensei Llermo Rogers he is my teacher and is quite insightful to things like this

Posted on: 2011/12/3 4:09

Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
You may want to try standing in place and spinning, (turning) a few times. While five such will make a beginner dizzy, shortly many more can be done without the dizziness. To stop the spinning, hold up your hand close to the face and focus on it, that stops the spinning sensation.

Posted on: 2011/12/5 15:24

Active Kutakian
Group:
Thanks again for your recommendations, I'll try the spinning-in-place exercise first. As for Crossfit, I do know crossfit and believe it to be helpful, but this is also the case for gymnastics. I might be able to include single exercises into my training, but as far as additional training is concerned - that's up to the students. I can recommend it, but that's it.

@Novice: That's simply an opinion. So maybe you could share some of those insights/experiences. That would be very helpful.

Posted on: 2011/12/6 22:57

"Thou art a child of nature.
Thou shalt know that it art a crime to murder thy mother.
Yet, I hear her skriek in horror ... "

Villager
From Missouri
Group:
u are correct it is an opinion and the insights i have already shared u know when u roll its the same type of movement as walking ?

Posted on: 2011/12/7 0:47

Villager
From Missouri
Group:

For instance when u roll its the same as walking when u move your right foot your left hand comes out to keep your weight in the center. Its the same when u move from right shoulder to left hip or left shoulder to right hip it creates a right triangle to not only help absorb the impact in the ground but your weight is also staying in the center while moving. When most people roll they hold their breath or exhale on the way down. A better approach i have found is that when rolling as my teacher has shown me is simply relaxing and letting the tension of the ground push your breath out of u.

Ukemi is far more than rolls leaps and cartwheels it is both defensive and offensive at its higher forms it can be used to absorb impacts from strikes and when walking u can use your own opponents natural kinetic energy he put when hitting u to make your strikes more powerful.

Breathing Movement and breathing are connected. When one tries to breath and move u create undew tension in the body. When u relax and move your movement dictates the breathing it is the same as if u run around a track your breathing adjusts naturally to the pace of your body as you move.

Most martial arts i have seen i see either peoples movement is either too tense and they rely on techniques but the thing is they don't know how to walk their techniques so it fails them in combat. For other arts i have seen a high degree of athleticism with the marital artists that practice the art and while this will work for a while it will fail them as their body wears out. If u want to be balanced u need to know how to natural walk in all things this is the great equalizer.

All these insights have been shown to me through my experiences with my teache

Posted on: 2011/12/7 1:09

Village Old Timer
Group:
議長 :: Mod
Again with the walking. Are we going to bring up the video again? I hope not as that thread was a mess.

Posted on: 2011/12/7 16:31

Villager
From Missouri
Group:
My teacher is having a seminar in April u are more than welcome to attend benkyoka if u can make it :)

Posted on: 2011/12/8 0:18

Active Kutakian
Group:
tim craig please read the first post AGAIN.

Quote:

GreyArea wrote:
Hi everybody,

now and then I'm faced with a problem for intermediate or advanced training in Ukemi. It's for a level when students can perform basic forms of rolling. I then like to push training a little more and have seen that many students face a huge drain of stamina and endurance, possibly to a point of closing regurgitation. This is not true for intense workouts, which do not involve rolling.

all of the info in your posts in this thread are very BASIC, having been regurgitated around since the days of the ura and omote newsletter. if you don't have info on the topic starter's problem, please stop wasting bandwidth.

and please keep llermo rogers to yourself. the majority of posters here (yourself probably excluded) don't train the the FudoShin [sic] ryu.

Posted on: 2011/12/8 2:39

"Don't ask me. I need time to practice rather than answering to it." - Harada Masanori

just playing the ONI's advocate!

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor