Recent Topics

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Cross Training
Active Kutakian
From Savannah, GA
Group:
村民 :: Villager
No way man, 6 hours of class, actual rolling was about 1 hour.

Posted on: 2012/2/2 11:29

Active Kutakian
From Savannah, GA
Group:
Day 2: Same as day 1, just more techniques, chokes, submissions. Strength and size still gave some the advantage.

Day 3: Clinch Drill
You can youtube this, lots of military units have posted it but they all don't conduct this drill at the same intensity, we had to achieve a clinch 4 times against an opponent punching with 16oz gloves. Basically rush in, close the distance, get inside their striking range and take their mobility away. No body slamming, grappling or striking back at them (that really sucked) although it happened many times in the mix of things. Boxers were brought in from somewhere to be the opponents while the instructors watched and refereed (fyi I spelled that last word without spell-check).

They fought well, not 100% but realistic enough to teach us the lesson (head up, hands up, close the distance, don't let go once your inside), I def caught a few good ones while rushing in, had those been fists instead of gloves my face would be decently tore up.

I can see now how Gracie's explosiveness enabled him to get inside bigger stronger opponents strikes and go for a submission or dominant position.

Posted on: 2012/2/2 12:00

Permanent Village Fixture
From Seattle
Group:
Quote:

NYorker wrote:
I've been invited to an MMA gym (save the jokes please).

I dont get it. What would there be to joke about?

Anyway, good for you. Although a 6 hour class is very, odd to say the least. Is this some kind of seminar?

Posted on: 2012/2/5 14:05
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Active Kutakian
From Savannah, GA
Group:
Many people I've encountered in BBT dislike MMA very much. The training I've described is Modern Army Combatives Level 1.

Posted on: 2012/2/6 11:17

Frequent Visitor
Group:
Quote:
I can see now how Gracie's explosiveness enabled him to get inside bigger stronger opponents strikes and go for a submission or dominant position.

Actually he wasn't very quick. Even in his dojo challenges he never exhibit any real explosive movements. He simply had a game plan that other opponents at that time were not aware of. He used a lot of stomp kicks to the legs to get clinches.

Posted on: 2012/2/8 16:58

Active Kutakian
From Savannah, GA
Group:
I suppose explosive doesn't necessarily have to mean speed, but rather efficient movement to a dominant position.

Posted on: 2012/2/9 9:19

Active Kutakian
From Savannah, GA
Group:
Either way, dude has talent.

Posted on: 2012/2/9 12:01

Frequent Visitor
Group:
Quote:

NYorker wrote:
Many people I've encountered in BBT dislike MMA very much.

Then you should seek out Simon Yeo if you have the chance, 15Dan in bujinkan and a BJJ black belt. His seminars are real good.

Posted on: 2012/4/25 19:03

Village Old Timer
From Istanbul Turkiye
Group:
Quote:

nakor wrote:
Quote:

NYorker wrote:
Many people I've encountered in BBT dislike MMA very much.

Then you should seek out Simon Yeo if you have the chance, 15Dan in bujinkan and a BJJ black belt. His seminars are real good.

I have no problem with MMA , especially BJJ is very nice, it is like chess. I think it is the name that bothers Bujinkan Buyus..Martial art is different than fighting sports. I believe that MMA is a sport as it has many rules and some moves gives very big openings for real combat (multiple attackers, groin openings etc.) still it is an effective training.
I also think that many in Bujinkan do not really train hard and are easy targets, we must train harder for reality. Many dojos around the world do not train any weapon at all. At 2008 DKMS I saw that most did not know how to throw Bo shuriken but I think it is changing nowadays.

Posted on: 2012/4/26 2:22
-----------------------------------------

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor