Socialize

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Fudoshin
Just Passing Through
From Czech Republic
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Hello,

I am a newbie Bujinak student, i have been training for 2 years now under Shihan Jiri Hubner, but with large breaks due to the work, so I still remain a non-ranked white belt. Although i find it quite impressive how much of self development clues this art gave me over the very short amount of time i was able to study it.

Recently, i stumbled upon a concept of Fudoshin. Immovable heart or immovable mind. I found some texts, and as i got into them, i read about a state of mind, that is not weighted by any affections, or any passion. This was mentioned quite often in the text. Here is the link to the text:

http://www.yamakawadojo.com/Fudoshin.pdf

After reading... i was quite confused, and i still am. I wounder why would anyone even want to achieve state of mind shielded from any affection or passion.

If there is no affection in my mind, how am i supposed to love my girlfriend or wife?.. people close to me will always be my weakness, but i believe that is a good thing. Same with passion... if i am not passionate about work i do (i work in a creative field) then how am i supposed to enjoy my work and produce good results?

I can imagine that living with constantly fluid mind would shield you from all the bottoms of the life, but from all the ups of your life too... for me, such a life would not be even a life, just a soulless existence.

So my question is... did i just misunderstood the concept? Are there some boundaries, such as achieving this state of mind only in crical situation? Or is it just impossible to imagine this stane unless one truly achieves it, to see it's benefits?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Ludvík.

Posted on: 2012/7/12 21:09
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Fudoshin
Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
I would think that to hold this state of mind, as you described, a very poor way to live your life. Our emotions are what give us color and beauty. I speak only for me here. I think when you are faced with a necessity to stop an immoral/wrong situation and it may need the harming of another human to do so, then this mind set would be very helpful. We are "hard-wired" to protect life to be as Jack Hoban has been saying, "ethical" in our actions as all life has value. "Ethical" meaning that we act when we see immoral (life damaging) actions. We don't just ignore them. So this mind set (for me) is only in the needed 'combat' situations.

Posted on: 2012/7/13 21:04

Just Passing Through
From Czech Republic
Group:
I see. That makes perfect sense. Thank you.

Posted on: 2012/7/14 9:36

Occasional Visitor
From Victoria, BC
Group:
I think it may be better to not think of it as being free from affection or passion, as in your example, but that fudoshin is way of experiencing them while staying in control.

Firefighters may feel fear but they still go into burning buildings to rescue people. Soldiers may be terrified but they still risk death without hesitation to save a fellow soldier.

As a less serious example, I'm not sure if you are familiar with the story of Tom Cruise on the Oprah Winfrey show, but when discussing his new love his enthusiasm got the better of him and he began jumping up and down on the couch exclaiming how happy he was.

Would the state of fudoshin stopped him from being in love? No. Would it have provided the control over his emotions to prevent that type of outburst? Yes.

Posted on: 2012/7/15 2:27

Any errors or omissions are soley the responsibility of those from whom I've plagerized.

Just Passing Through
From Czech Republic
Group:
Thanks. I am starting to understand how it works now... I also started to read The unfettered mind by Takuan Soho, so i am starting to understand it is not as simple as it sounds.

Thanks again for the answers.

Posted on: 2012/7/15 22:48

Village Old Timer
From Matsudo City, Chiba, Japan
Group:
We might understand fudoshin if we persevere in martial arts. Fudoshin doesn't originate in martial arts. Shingon Buddhism uses the term, for example. Western philosophical and religious traditions have concepts similar to fudoshin.

Fudoshin is a state of being. It's for every waking moment of your life, training, work, and with the people you love. If you are in a state of fudoshin, you live, fight and love without attachment.

Tetsushin, interesting example. It's tough to maintain fudoshin all the time (i'm not assuming Cruise has or has not achieved it).. And we have to forgive ourselves and others when we lose composure. Errant humanity and all that.

Posted on: 2012/7/18 5:51

Village Old Timer
From Matsudo City, Chiba, Japan
Group:
A good blog post on non-attachment in which a Buddhist author reconciles non-attachment with a loving relationship -

Quote:
So then what is non-attachment in a loving, committed relationship? My understanding of attachment is that it’s not about what we have or don’t have, but what our expectations of them are. As unenlightened people, we live with a persistent delusion that people and things will provide us with more happiness and satisfaction than they really can. And this is where we get tripped up.

So for example, how much am I using my partner’s love to fill a void in my own love and acceptance of myself? A truly healthy individual is one who is complete by herself, and doesn’t need to depend on anything or anyone else to feel whole and content. I don’t mean we should go it alone and isolate ourselves from others. I mean simply not to depend on someone or something external to me as a necessary condition for my happiness.

Whole thing here.

Posted on: 2012/7/20 16:00

Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Liz, I think that expresses it very well, thanks. While we do WANT others in our lives and their presence does add a whole lot to what our lives are, it isn't a matter of NEED. That is where the difficulty comes in. We should appreciate ourselves enough that we don't need. If we do value ourself, then we have so much more we can share with another person. We are independent, not dependent in our relationships, and by being complete and strong in ourselves we bring much more to any healthy relationship. There is not the unhealthy need to keep someone with you who no longer wants to be with you. Whole complete persons, working in co-operation with others of the same can accomplish so much more!

Posted on: 2012/7/26 0:18

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor