« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Takamatsu's successor
Village Old Timer
Group:
村民 :: Villager
議長 :: Mod
Quote:

Shimajiro wrote:
Ed never said we shouldn't trust experts.

He said we shouldn't trust "experts" who aren't really experts.

Yes, that is what I was saying as well. I was merely pointing out that the large majority of us don't have the experience or knowledge to be able to determine for sure whether Hatsumi sensei is an expert or not.

Quote:

There is a very big difference, to me at least, between Hatsumi Soke's immense legacy of training, teaching, writings, demonstrations and interviews from the 1960's to the present, and the frowning concern on the faces of various "experts" worried that Hatsumi Soke's legacy might somehow be not legit.

I imagine you know as little about the experts' qualifications as you know about Hatsumi sensei's documentation. While the people who make the most fuss are usually the most ignorant (I'm referring to basically Non-japanese-speaking people who make youtube videos and the like) there are other more knowledgeable people who may question Hastumi sensei's claims.

Quote:

If I honestly believe someone is truly an expert in their field, I listen and listen carefully. I don't think Ed is saying anything different in his post. Hatsumi Soke is clearly (to most of us) the expert, and is the one Ed (and I and many others) listen to for all things ninjutsu.

That is the key word. You believe someone is what they say. That's what I was saying as well. I also believe Hatsumi sensei's claims to legitimacy but that's because I choose to accept what he says. I have no way to prove if he is or isn't so I act on 'faith'.

My issue with what Mr. Martin wrote is that it came across as stating "Don't listen to the words of experts but listen to that expert." It seemed a paradox.

[/quote]

Posted on: 2013/2/2 20:30
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Takamatsu's successor
Active Kutakian
From Savannah, GA
Group:
村民 :: Villager
@mrdunsky:

Agreed, you can debate and argue one side or the other on any topic, in the end you must "believe" one or the other as there is no irrefutable evidence to prove anything in the history of human civilization. By definition you cannot prove anything that happened in the past, only gain supporting evidence for or against it. I mean, we could all be plugged into the matrix right now...and that would explain everything! (Sorry, I jest)

Reading a book right now, "Takamatsu Toshitsugu: the last shinobi", by Wolfgang Ettig 314pgs. Paints a very objective picture of Takamatsu's past, draws from many other sources, cites many other pieces of literature and acknowledges ambiguities in his past that cannot be verified due to time, people being deceased, broken bloodlines, incomplete records etc. I recommend anyone questioning the validity of the lineage/successor-ship in the Bujinkan to do as I have and continue to do; read, research and ultimately decide for yourself what to believe.

In the end, I'm not really sure I care though, I like Soke's teachings, and the Japanese Shihan, if I found out tomorrow that they stole the scrolls, forged the menkyo kaiden and the entire history of the Bujinkan was a lie, that doesn't mean I'd stop training what I've learned from them so far, would you?

Posted on: 2013/2/6 0:19

« 1 2 3 (4)

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor