Recent Topics

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Living Translation
Active Kutakian
From Boise, ID
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Hello,
I am a novis at the Japanese language, trying to learn as best I can. I have a question about the translation of "living." If you were to use living as an adjective. Specifically in reference to naming my school, Living-Warrior Dojo, would this be ikiteiru bushi, or kurashi bushi? I don't really understand the difference. Thanks!

Posted on: 2012/10/22 12:59
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Living Translation
村長 :: Sonchou
From Chiba, Japan
Group:
村長 :: Admin
Hi,

"Kurashi" has more the meaning of "lifestyle", "daily life", or even "making a living", while "ikiteiru" means "is living".

The kanji you probably want to use is either 生 (which can be pronounced "sei", among other pronunciations) or 命 (which can be pronounced "inochi", among other pronunciations. I would suggest you look at using one of these two kanji, and choose a pronunciation that fits with the other kanji you're combining it with. (The pronunciation of kanji is most often determined by what other kanji they are being grouped with.)

It also might help to think about what you really mean by "Living Warrior". Even in English, that can be ambiguous. "Living Warrior" - well, yes, we are all living, just like every other organism on Earth. What is it that you're really trying to say?

Shawn

Posted on: 2012/10/22 23:33

Active Kutakian
From Boise, ID
Group:
Thank you Shawn. I am being intentionally ambiguous with the name because I want people to derive the multiple possible meanings from the name. An ancient martial art practiced today, a martial art that is alive, warriors are still alive today, living the warrior lifestyle, martial art about life, etc.

Posted on: 2012/10/24 3:00

Village Old Timer
From Dayton, Ohio
Group:
On a different note, does anyone know what the saying is or the word used to described the bones of the loyal samurai that become uncovered on old battle fields? There is a phrase to describe it and the decorations of skulls and bones that honor it.

Kind of a Dead Warrior question.

Marty

Posted on: 2012/10/24 18:57

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor