Dpinga

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Ninpo training?
Frequent Visitor
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Hi all, new here.

I'm new to training in Bujinkan though I've done a fair amount of research and I'm always studying materials I find.

I have a question about ninpo training in Bujinkan (Pardon my probable mis-use of names and terms here..)

But it seems there is a fair amount of information and people talking about the fighting techniques but how about the water combat techniques, walking techniques, weapons crafting, tactics, entry-techniques, scouting, night combat, survival training, and so on?

Are these things taught once you have enough experience overall? Has it been more or less dropped from active teachings?

Maybe it's just me, but looking around there seems to be a lot of ninpo teachings that aren't, well, taught.

How many of you who are black belts and above have been taught these things?

Posted on: 2012/11/10 6:15
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Ninpo training?
村長 :: Sonchou
From Chiba, Japan
Group:
村長 :: Admin
Hi,

In training in the Bujinkan for 16 years in Japan, I have never once seen or heard of anything like this being taught as part of the Bujinkan curriculum. When I asked Japanese Shihan in Japan about these questions, I was told that the techniques for such things in the Bujinkan are part of the traditional scrolls handed down from centuries ago, and that since warfare has changed a lot between those times and the modern era, we are better to go join the military, police force, or get some kind of paramilitary training if we really want to learn the modern application of these things. For example, the sciences of pharmacology, toxicology, pyrotechnics, etc. have all evolved tremendously since the period when such things were actively used by the ninja in Japan. It's better to go study modern toxicology than to think you can learn about poisons from a scroll from the 1600's, for example.

Scouting? Tom Brown's tracker school (http://www.trackerschool.com/). Entry techniques? Police or military. And so on.

There are many Bujinkan instructors who are qualified to teach the above skills through their experience in Boy Scouts, Tracker School, Police, Military, etc., and some of those people bring that knowledge into their own Bujinkan training classes, but this is not something that is taught in Japan by Soke or the Japanese Shihan, and is not even something that is an essential part of standard Bujinkan training, in my own opinion - I think that such skills should be taught separately, outside of Bujinkan classes, so that people don't get confused and think that these things are an official part of Bujinkan training.

Shawn

Posted on: 2012/11/10 12:18

Gurei Dojo | Blog
Facebook

Frequent Visitor
Group:
Thank you, Shawn, I truly appreciate your reply!

It was the answer I was afraid of getting, but now it is confirmed then.

The reason I ask is that though some, or a lot, is outdated it's still part of the nine schools and something I'd like to study over time.

I also have to think that sometimes it's not just the techniques in themselves, but the mindset behind them that's the important part, but without studying them as they've been handed down, I won't know.

Posted on: 2012/11/10 12:41

Active Kutakian
From Savannah, GA
Group:
Shawn is 100% correct.

If you want all the guerilla warfare tactics (everything you listed) which are essentially what ninjutsu is, then join the Army and try out for SF or Rangers; or Navy and try to go SEAL. You won't find credible civilian instructors openly teaching the public about entry tactics, espionage, poisons in the modern world full of legal responsibilities and liabilities. If you do they are probably blowing smoke.

If you really want all that cool stuff, sign on the dotted line and put on a uniform, Uncle Sam has plenty to go around!
And who knows, if your lucky maybe someone will teach you how to evade armed militia that are breaking down walls to get to you while you are trying to fight off their 100lb attack dog in a mudhut...in the dark

Posted on: 2012/11/11 1:57

Frequent Visitor
Group:
Well, I could learn various things on my own, elsewhere, but I find it somewhat annoying to have to do so, seeing as it's actually part of the nine schools we train in.

Maybe as time passes these things will change, but at the moment it certainly feels as if Soke successfully took the ninja out of the Bujinkan.

Posted on: 2012/11/11 2:57

Active Kutakian
From Savannah, GA
Group:
All the skills you mentioned are taught in the Bujinkan somewhere, usually seminars are held featuring a very experienced person that will focus on one or two of these specialized areas:

Weapons Crafting - Ed Martin Shihan
Wilderness Survivial - Dick Severance Shihan (deceased, but has DVDs and books published on everything from fire starting to edible plants)
Walking Techniques - Pretty sure any Godan or higher should be capable of teaching this. Also in Soke's books. Also Phil Legare Shihan.
Water Combat (Suiton-jutsu) - Mike Pearce Shihan

Tactics/Scouting - I'd say these are obsolete due to firearms and other modern technology. Instead read the old Army infantry field manual; FM 7-8, you can google it. Focuses on jungle, wooded terrain tactics like Vietnam, whereas the new doctrine focuses on urban areas due to Iraq, Somalia etc.

Entry-techniques - Never heard of anyone teaching this, most likely for legal reasons. Also largely obsolete due to modern technology, alrams, motion sensors. Many professional thieves are discovered to have education in electronics or engineering.

It's all out there man, just gotta look for it, you found the Bujinkan, that's your starting point. Soke always says ninjutsu is taijutsu, so dont become too focused on the special skills that you neglect your physical combative training, this is critical.

Posted on: 2012/11/11 14:57

Villager
From Missouri
Group:
If you are interested e-mail me on good its in my profile and i know of someone who can show you some things if you like.

Posted on: 2012/11/16 20:17

Villager
From Missouri
Group:
I meant google

Posted on: 2012/11/16 20:18

Honorary Villager
From New Zealand
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
I'd be asking questions if someone turned up at my dojo and wanted to learn such "skills". Even in my country you can draw a lot of unnecessary attention if you teach any system that encourages "Offensive" tactics. We have an anti-terrorism act, that could see you wind up in prison.

Posted on: 2012/11/25 14:52

Kutaki Postmaster
From Wakefield, England
Group:
I have talked about this to students but only in passing. Maybe a few knots tying or shelter building but nothing that can not be viewed on youtube with some of the "preppers" out there.

Posted on: 2012/11/30 4:20

"Sensei, all your children have guns. What shall we do?"
"Let them kill each other, that way they will learn"

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor